Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed over the past year that I rarely, if ever, use the big chainring on my trail rides. Can the big chainring be removed to save some weight, leaving just the middle and small chainrings, or is this not advisable?

How many of you out there have done this?

Pros/cons?

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
I dont see why it cant be done. I think you might have problems with the chain dropping, but it really depends on the setup. I have been running only a middle ring (single up front, no granny or large) for some time and it has worked out well. But I dont shift and the ring is not ramped or pinned.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have been running that setup for three years now. Less weight, greater log clearance, looks cool. I run mine with 36/22 up the front and 12-27 cassette in the back. Beware though if you do choose a set up like mine (with roadie cassette) amount of shifting in the front will go up a lot as 36 ring is too tall for many a small hills and 22 is too short for pretty much everything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.