Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2004 Norco Charger, there are vbrake bosses on the frame. they look to me like they should be removable, as 1) i've ran a magnet over it, and the post is magnetic, while the fame is alloy, and 2) it has flat spots on the sides which appear to be surfaces for a wrench to grip.

I've tried removing them, however they won't budge... I have only tried a dry adjustable wrench on them, and i didn't heave *too* hard, as i obviously don't want to damage anything, over the sake of a tiny bit of aesthetics.

Are these actually removable? Or am i trying to break my frame/tools unnecessarily?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
They're usually removable, but if they were installed from the factory without anti-seize or without enough of it, after 6 or 7 years of sitting in the frame the threads could very well be seized. Steel and aluminum corrode over time when in direct contact

It might take a combination of a longer wrench and some PB Blaster to get those out, though I'd start with just pushing harder

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, i managed to liberate the cassette side boss, but no dice on the disc side. I rounded one of the corners off on the boss, and nicked a bit of paint off as well (nothing that can't be remedied, of course).

So, my new options are, since i have also damaged several adjustable wrenches, as well as some locking pliers: buy some penetrating oil, or attempt to again crush the opening into a flat spot, to grip with some tool.

Having troubles so far, as these bosses are hardened. the teeth/surfaces on my tools just slide/crush/deform, so the tool doesn't grip the bloody thing.

The boss i did get out, had lots of lock-tite on it, and took some serious elbow grease to free up. Had to be wrenched the whole way out, could not finger unscrew it what so ever.

However, i am humbly open to suggestions, as well. :confused:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
maybe these would help? :p

I would definitely go to a penetrating oil as the next step, as well as a wrench that will stay tight. PB Blaster seems to work the best and the quickest of ones I've tried.

Attachments

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
Gerrilla said:
OK, i managed to liberate the cassette side boss, but no dice on the disc side. I rounded one of the corners off on the boss, and nicked a bit of paint off as well (nothing that can't be remedied, of course).

So, my new options are, since i have also damaged several adjustable wrenches, as well as some locking pliers: buy some penetrating oil, or attempt to again crush the opening into a flat spot, to grip with some tool.

Having troubles so far, as these bosses are hardened. the teeth/surfaces on my tools just slide/crush/deform, so the tool doesn't grip the bloody thing.

The boss i did get out, had lots of lock-tite on it, and took some serious elbow grease to free up. Had to be wrenched the whole way out, could not finger unscrew it what so ever.

However, i am humbly open to suggestions, as well. :confused:
Stop using adjustable wrenches! They exist only for people who can't afford to buy a proper set of open-ended wrenches, or are to cheap to do so. They don't grip properly, and cause more rounding of edges than they're worth (when a lot of force is required.)

My suggestion? Grind a new flat edge onto the boss and remove it with a regular open-ended wrench, so long as the fit of the wrench is tight.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
Agreed with above and your best freind when removing stuck bolts is heat. Apply some to the steel boss, not the frame and certainly use some penatrating oil. It won't take much heat to help and will especially help when loctite's involved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jtmartino said:
Stop using adjustable wrenches! They exist only for people who can't afford to buy a proper set of open-ended wrenches, or are to cheap to do so. They don't grip properly, and cause more rounding of edges than they're worth (when a lot of force is required.)

My suggestion? Grind a new flat edge onto the boss and remove it with a regular open-ended wrench, so long as the fit of the wrench is tight.
Lol, this is one of two conclusions I've drawn for myself, through experience :) Thanks though :thumbsup:

I was thinking either this exact approach, or crushing the threaded tube with a bolt cutter, for a flat surface i can then get a wrench onto. The lights in the shed i work in are currently out to lunch, so I'll try that approach at first light.

Thanks!

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
Gerrilla said:
Lol, this is one of two conclusions I've drawn for myself, through experience :) Thanks though :thumbsup:

I was thinking either this exact approach, or crushing the threaded tube with a bolt cutter, for a flat surface i can then get a wrench onto. The lights in the shed i work in are currently out to lunch, so I'll try that approach at first light.

Thanks!
Yeah just speaking from experience - I've had so many problems with different adjustable wrenches that I don't even use them anymore.

If you really get stuck, you can just cut the post off with something like a Dremel, cut a slot into the bit remaining in the frame, and use a flathead screwdriver and a socket wrench to get it out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jtmartino said:
cut a slot into the bit remaining in the frame, and use a flathead screwdriver and a socket wrench to get it out.
that sounds simple and effective. that stud will never know what turned it. :p

Thanks again for the help, most useful!

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
A lot of the brake bosses come with Loc-tite on them. Most have the red Loc-tite which is for permanent installs.

You will need to use some heat to soften the Loc-tite, the use a pair of vice-grips since you rounded off the flats.

·
Positively negative
2,288 Posts
frdfandc said:
A lot of the brake bosses come with Loc-tite on them. Most have the red Loc-tite which is for permanent installs.

You will need to use some heat to soften the Loc-tite, the use a pair of vice-grips since you rounded off the flats.
"Red" Loc-tite isn't necessarily permanent, 263 is the only red Loc-tite threadlocker that is made to be permanent. Where as 262, 266, 271, 272, 277, and 2760 are just high strength (for applications dealing with vibration or shock, harsh environments, damaged threads, or just large fasteners) and should only require heat and hand tools for removal.

But to relate to the OP's question; Brake bosses are usually installed with a high strength threadlocker, and the wrench flats aren't the best. A torch is usually the first too I reach for when the job arises. But I actually have better luck using an adjustable wrench because, if it's a quality tool that is used correctly, they seem to provide a better fit as the bosses tend to be in between sizes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've tried 4 different adjustable wrenches, at least 3 of which were brand-name tools. Tried vise-grips, all of which just get the teeth/jaws stretched/crushed/damaged...

As long as i don't damage my frame, i couldn't care less about the well being of the stud at this point. I don't have a torch currently available to me, so i'll just slit it with a zip disc, and use a socketed flathead screwdriver to torque it out. I've seen this done before a long time ago, for vehicles, don't know why i didn't think of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, after a lot of frustration, and rubbing a hacksaw blade (didn't have a frame :mad: ), i had a slot large enough to give my vise grips something to bite on to. Broke it free with those, and turned it out with a piece of 1/8" flatbar, and a large flat screwdriver. before i began too much extensive cutting/prying/etc, i put a slit in an old piece of denim from some worn out jeans, and slipped it over the work area, for a protective apron of sorts. Worked well, only a small scratch and a few paint chips gone in total. Considering the ordeal, I'd say i got away very lucky.

Success.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts