Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres a remote on my handlebar connected to the left side of my manitou black fork. Pressing the remote disables the fork by making it airless? If I put all of my weight in front and press the remote, it will bottom out and stay there until i lift the wheel of the ground and the fork expands to normal. Whats the correct use of the remote. Because this is not what anyone would want i believe. The cable doesnt look hydraulic nor like shifter cable. Any help would be great

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Manitou Rapid Travel Adjust? Reducing the travel of your fork makes your HTA and STA steeper which some people find better for climbing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried riding a bit with no travel and its so steep and small for me, but i feel im gonna break something with this

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
How old is the fork? It sounds like the old IT travel adjust. If you release the button halfway will it stay there?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Bike is 2006
I found a video of a similar fork doing something same/similar
Yes, that is the Manitou Infinite Travel (IT)l Adjust. Back in the early 2000's people thought long travel front ends would make climbing impossible so companies came up with solutions. Fox had their TALAS forks, Rock Shock had U-turn (?) and Manitou had the IT system. It was exactly as PhilipJ described. Designed to lower the front end to make climbing easier.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
IT was a pretty awesome system. It worked incredibly well, and was reliable. You're not really supposed to ride with the fork slammed to zero travel, but you can. Its more intended to drop the fork about half way and climb, but whatever works for you is fine too.

We used to size bikes like russian bears riding a tricycle, way smaller frame than what it should be, with <71 degree seat tube angles and stubby little top tubes. Back then, those dropper forks we're badass! Our "long travel" 120-140mm forks felt like monsters. Im glad those days are over.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im just curious, is it supposed to stay down until remote gets pressed or by itself after lifting the wheel of the ground. Because i think mine only retracts after lifting the wheel and not by the remote

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
You have to lift the wheel and press the remote to raise the fork. Just pressing the lever will not automatically extend the fork when it has weight on it.

·
Tantrumcycles #1
341 Posts
IT was a pretty awesome system. It worked incredibly well, and was reliable. You're not really supposed to ride with the fork slammed to zero travel, but you can. Its more intended to drop the fork about half way and climb, but whatever works for you is fine too.

We used to size bikes like russian bears riding a tricycle, way smaller frame than what it should be, with <71 degree seat tube angles and stubby little top tubes. Back then, those dropper forks we're badass! Our "long travel" 120-140mm forks felt like monsters. Im glad those days are over.
I really enjoyed my Marzocchi 55 ETA that had an similar wide range infinite travel adjustment.

The downside was low BBH wich is the opposite to what you want when climbing steep technical stuff.

Today there's alternatives that changes the geometry in a much more efficient way. Canyon Strive Shapshift lowers the rear. But only in 2 defined settings, and you have to decide by your self when it's a good idea to do it, and by pressing a remote lever.

Tantrumcycles Missing link does it all by itself with help from the resistance in any given incline or terrain formation, infinitely.
I suggest anyone who are concidering a bike that can tune the geometry to the terrain to test ride a Tantrum! It really just works really well..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.