Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Trek Top Fuel came with a Rockshox MC3R, the one with 3 selectable settings with the option for a remote.

I went to the LBS to get the remote trigger, and there's the pop lock and something else. Now I know the Rebas come with a poploc trigger from the factory, but I want to make sure I can select any of the 3 settings.

So which trigger do I need?

Thanks,

Ming :0

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If it actually has the 3 position lever you will need the parts from r/x to make it an MC3R. (if they make them anymore) If not there is no click for 3 positions on the remote version.
You can use a friction shifter with it or a poploc.
I adapted a r/s dual control that kinda works okay as a friction shifter. (The MC3R was meant to work with a reba on the front and the dual control lever.)
Alas, let's face it there is only so much you can do with 90mm of travel. That said, I still use it when I'm riding the fuel being the control freak I am.
Btw, the poploc will work but as ethier locked = full travel : unlocked = locked out. ( (or depending on flood gate setting and cable tension...less so)
Be sure and play with flood gate and rebound along with pressure. A very tunable shock.

That is not MACC Ming by any chance. If so, small world.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a shame about the 3 settings. I thought about it for a bit, and there's next to no point for the remote. I mean the difference between floodgate, locked out, and fully open probably really isn't that much. The bike is already super stiff in the floodgate position during climbs and sprints, I really see no point with the lever anymore.

I have a RP3 on my Rocky Mountain Instinct, but I never flip the switch. So I guess I could live with just one setting too.

The bike came with a Reba, but I put a Fox F100RLC on there. So I guess nothing would really work for me. :(

I went to McMaster for engineering, hence the nickname Macming :) You must be thinking of a different person.

Thanks for the advice though!

Ming

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I still have some questions. My Shock doesn't have a lever to select any settings. The last owner just left it on a terminated cable at the tightest setting. When I push down on the saddle, I can easily compress it down a bit. So I guess the shock is not set to locked out.

So do you know how the settings are ordered? ie locked out -> flood gate -> open?

I weigh about 200 pounds, what is the general setting for rebound and flood gate? Currently, I find my Rock Mountain handles better than the Top Fuel, so I'm trying to play with the Trek a bit more. If I can't make it work too well, I'm actually thinking about selling the Trek :(

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Oh I still have some questions. My Shock doesn't have a lever to select any settings. The last owner just left it on a terminated cable at the tightest setting. When I push down on the saddle, I can easily compress it down a bit. So I guess the shock is not set to locked out.
Okay, I get it you have the shock version that will work with (please re-read my first post) a poploc remote. You just need to order that part.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-PopLoc...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/accessories/index.php#tab2
I have 2 of them but I want to keep them cause I have 2 rebas (only one in active service.)
I ride my Moj SL allot now, but still take out the Fuel for the smoother rides as it is a great short travel bike.
Also, I have 2 MC3's (bought spare with the 3way lever on Ebay) for my Fuel the one with remote and the one with the lever.
(Right now I am running the one with the lever with only 90 mm travel I usually just leave it in middle setting except for long climbs.)
Anyway
Floodgate: gold knob both on mc3 and reba it controls the amount of force to start compression so it acts kinda like a tunable lockout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.