Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a rider on my local trail network took a serious dirt sample with his head/face after trying to ride an intermediate sized drop (8ft) and endo'ing.
EMS came out and took him off to the hospital, not surprising as head injuries are not cool, and it looked pretty bad.

Lucky for him, there were several guys in his group, and other riders showed up shortly afterward. Some of them were military, so the injured rider had some decent help before paramedics arrived.

But the most messed up part about it wasn't the accident itself, but that just before my wife & I happened upon the scene, we had passed at least 10 people riding mountainbikes without any sort of protective equipment/helmets.... One whole family of obviously novice riders on rented bikes, and two groups of teenagers.

I'm military myself, and we've gotten a lot of training about traumatic brain injuries. A mild tumble can do just as much damage as an IED, with long lasting effects. Fortunately, unlike IEDs, traumatic brain injuries from a bicycle accident are largely preventable by wearing the right gear.
Wear your lids, people.... and ride within your abilities.

Rubber side down, and see ya'll on the trails! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
True that. I've wrecked my snowmobile, 4 wheeler, dirtbike, and mtn. bike. I was riding well w/in my abilities(except the dirtbike. that was my first time on 2 wheels w/ a motor) and every one of those I'd probably be dead if it wasn't for my helmet. You'll never see me on the trail w/ out my helmet. A quick stroll around my little town, now thats a diffrant story. But on the trails no way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just don't understand not wearing protection...you can get a decent helmet for $40 or probably even less...

I wear gloves, eye protection and full fingered gloves on every ride

I would wear knee pads...but I feel like I would get ragged on b/c I don't think I am that "extreme"...haha

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Wear your lids, people...."

What business is it of yours?

"... and ride within your abilities."

Nonsense. Nobody ever got better at anything by only doing things 'within their ability'. Discover your limits, for sure, but limits are there to be pushed...and pushed and pushed...

Think for yourself, look after yourself, know yourself. Enjoy riding, it's not something to be afraid of.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SteveUK said:
What business is it of yours?
I don't like seeing people dent their nuggets needlessly. That, and if my tax money is going to cover somebody's trip to the hospital, it could at least be a legit, honest injury. But hey, organ donors need to come from somewhere, right???

Nonsense. Nobody ever got better at anything by only doing things 'within their ability'. Discover your limits, for sure, but limits are there to be pushed...and pushed and pushed...
You wouldn't entertain thoughts of throwing your carcass off a 10ft. drop as a novice right away, would you? Sure, it's about progression, but within reasonable limits!

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"I don't like seeing people dent their nuggets needlessly. That, and if my tax money is going to cover somebody's trip to the hospital, it could at least be a legit, honest injury. But hey, organ donors need to come from somewhere, right???"

You're concerned with the honesty and 'legitimacy' of how tax dollars are spent!!?? Of all the corrupt and needless places your tax dollars go, you decide to focus on the miniscule amount spent every year on head injuries to cyclists? Why not head injuries to car drivers or pedestrians hit by cars? Or have you been informed by the IRS that your tax dollars go only to pay for injuries sustained to cyclists as a result of not wearing a helmet? Do those people who injure themselves not pay taxes?

"You wouldn't entertain thoughts of throwing your carcass off a 10ft. drop as a novice right away, would you?"

Did I say that? Did I even imply that?.

"Sure, it's about progression, but within reasonable limits!"

Perhaps, but it is not for you to decide or determine what other people's limits are, and certainly not whether they're 'reasonable'.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SteveUK said:
"

"You wouldn't entertain thoughts of throwing your carcass off a 10ft. drop as a novice right away, would you?"

Did I say that? Did I even imply that?.

Acually yes you did. You quoted bomb about him saying for people to ride w/ in their abilities and then you said if people don't ride outside there limits then nobody ever gets better. Bomb is right though a novice or begginner taking a 10ft drop is defentatlly outside of there limits. I'm a novice and I wouldn't do a drop like that. But I would do a 4-5 ft. That would be pushing my abilities to the next level and would totally kill me unlike what could possible happen if I did a 10 fter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SteveUK said:
"Acually yes you did."

No, I didn't. Show me where I state or suggest that novice riders, or anyone for that matter, should take their bike off a 10ft drop.
Bomb's using that as an example of riding outside your abilities. And you did say people should ride outside there abilities. While yes you should ride a little bit outside or your never get better, riding way outside your gonna get hurt.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Bomb's using that as an example of riding outside your abilities."

It's a ridiculous, exaggerated example, in the same way that the OP is ridiculous and exaggerated.

"And you did say people should ride outside there abilities."

No, I didn't. I said, again...

"Nobody ever got better at anything by only doing things 'within their ability'. Discover your limits, for sure, but limits are there to be pushed...and pushed and pushed..."

Do you see?

Before you have ever been on a bike, the limit of your abilities as a person is that you can't ride a bike. In order to learn, even just learn how to take your first pedal stroke, you have to push at that limit. There are of course degrees, but we should also learn from exceeding our limits. If you take a spill riding off a curb, would you say, 'Oh, I'll never do that again!', or would you say, 'How did I mess that up?'

·
Registered
373 Posts
PanicFan77 said:
Are ya'll really arguing in a MTB Forum?
Yeah, and about helmets!

Helmets save lives, there's no way around that; but I shouldn't have to drag your bloody carcass out of the woods because you decided not to wear a helmet. :nono:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Helmets save lives, there's no way around that..."

Has anyone disputed this?

"...but I shouldn't have to drag your bloody carcass out of the woods because you decided not to wear a helmet."

So don't. It's your choice, isn't it?

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
EliM said:
Well the arguement was originally about helmets.
Nah, the thread started with bombardier reminding us to all wear our helmets and ride within our limits.

And then SteveUK was like "stay out my bidness, bish, and besides, your ho ass needs to push your limits in order to get better!"

and then bombardier was like "but the tax dollars, think of the tax dollars! and I can't believe you're telling people to huck their bikes!"

and SteveUK was like "you care about tax dollars, the gubment waste tax money like crazy and you care about the small percentage wasted on fixing people who don't wear helmets. And I didn't say to huck your bike, I said to push your limits!"

and then evilmprdr was like "OH NO YOU DIN'T! You said to huck your bike!"

and SteveUK was like "never!"

and PanicFan was like "You dudes are arguing on the internets?!?!?!?!"

And then I did this. God damn I'm bored.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.