Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we're at it, remind me again why they bother to write diameters with decimal numbers down on the order sheet?

Remind me why they don't just commit a model number to memory instead of putting it on paper and in the computer?

Remind me why I bother to give them a cell phone number to call me if an item is backorder one month of if they have a question on something they have a question about?

Remind me why they're entitled to tack $40 on to a $35 special order item that I'm paying for in advance, in the name of supporting a local shop?

Remind me why I'm not ordering online?

Signed,
-Frustrated & Going Riding

·
I love burritos.
171 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
While we're at it, remind me again why they bother to write diameters with decimal numbers down on the order sheet?

Remind me why they don't just commit a model number to memory instead of putting it on paper and in the computer?

Remind me why I bother to give them a cell phone number to call me if an item is backorder one month of if they have a question on something they have a question about?

Remind me why they're entitled to tack $40 on to a $35 special order item that I'm paying for in advance, in the name of supporting a local shop?

Signed,
-Frustrated & Going Riding
$40 on top of a $35 order?? Now that's just retarded.

Maybe you shoulda tried either Speedgoat or Roaring Mouse Cycles in SF instead. They're great when it comes to special orders (in my experience, anyway).

BTW, which LBS is this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think you all are too hard on LBS's. Not saying you didnt have a bad experience nate but i think that the attitude on this shop is quite anti-LBS. In my experience ive had troubles with shops, but i've also had troubles at every other type of store i go to. Ive had problems on ebay and ive had problems ordering online, on the phone, and by fax. Yes, a LBS likely has higher prices than online competitors, but that is because their overhead is lower. They do not need to pay for a storefront. I don't do all my shopping at an LBS, if a deal is good enough i will buy online, but i don't blame LBS's in general. I don't mean to offend anybody, and Nate this is in no way directly aimed at you, just needed a place to post this. It just seems as though everybody is to hard on their LBS.

my .02

-dM

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
It's obvious, you support them so they can always be out of stock of the part you need and then charge you 200% of what it should cost :D

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
i have to admit i do not support my lbs much except for at purchase time and to take advantage of the lifetime of free adjustments when i am too lazy to pull the BB when it is creaking as i did the other day...while i was waiting i looked at their price list of services and was absolutely astonished by the prices for basic services...Don't quote me exactly on the prices but something like $80 for full tune-up plus parts, $60 to install fork, $10 to change a flat...the list went on and on and i am really glad i know how to do most of the things listed...i used to live in a small colorado town and everything used to cost a six pack, sometimes a 12er if it was a big deal..

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
You don't help the situation if

you don't talk to the owner or manager. If they don't give you what you need then change shops. This doesn't have to be about LBS's in general.
Of the 2 closest to me both are fantastic and both have a weak spot; I know that going in. But both help me at odd times, in strange circumstance, under pressure and etc. I'd say it is a pretty good trade.
I have 3 more with which I do little business and have to approach differently. They do nothing extra for me but are responsive. I have another which has moved away from my area and I don't see often but I am always welcomed.
Maybe I am just lucky.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back from a good, quick ride and with a clear head, but there are too many questions from youse all.

First off, I mistyped: It was a $20 markup on a $35 item. My bad.

These are nice guys. I like what they're doing with the shop. I talked with them in person today, and I'll talk to them some more later this week about my dissatisfaction and who they're really competing against for my dollar (the internet).

What's disappointing is I could have ordered my four items from three online vendors for just a little less than what I paid these guys, and I could have done it in about 10 minutes at the computer.

Instead, I walked in to the shop with a list of *exactly* what I needed, sat at the counter, and after a little bit of haggling over the $20 markup item (the other items I was happy with the prices they quoted me), I was done in 20 minutes.

The first item arrived Monday and was the wrong size. The correct size was clear as day on the order slip.

The second item arrived today and was entirely the wrong model. The correct model was in plain English on the order slip.

The third and fourth item were ordered last week but won't ship until the end of August, but they didn't feel the need to inform me of that until I walked in the store today. I've got no problem with the delay, just would have been nice to know.

You guys know me well enough online -- I'm a pretty calm, reasonable guy, and I have better things to get worked up about. I explained my dissatisfaction to the owner today without making it sound like my sky is falling, but I got some pretty lame excuses that indirectly pointed back to me, and that I wasn't very pleased with.

My expectations are realistic. If I'm going to pay overhead *in advance* on items that aren't in stock, with no risk to the shop other than their own mistakes *cough* extra shipping costs *cough*, I expect it done right. Especially if I walk in with an exact parts list in hand and all the important, relevant information is copied onto the order slip correctly (it was). Mistakes happen, and I accept that. This was plain inattentiveness.

I'm frustrated but not bitter or angry -- a month from now I'll have everything and this ugly incident will be behind me, yet another of many bad bike shop experiences that drove me to internet ordering and mtbr in the first place.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Its not the fact that he had trouble, but rather how the shop responded to the discrepencies/errors that makes all the difference in the world, imo of course.

All SN is asking for is honesty and the shop to own up to their mistakes.

-Sp

laxguy86 said:
I think you all are too hard on LBS's. Not saying you didnt have a bad experience nate but i think that the attitude on this shop is quite anti-LBS. In my experience ive had troubles with shops, but i've also had troubles at every other type of store i go to.

-dM

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Because they are there...

The LBS should be supported because they offer expertise and convenience. I'm sure you don't mind paying a bit extra to walk in and walk out with what you want in hand. Also, you LBS guy should be up on the latest and greatest, they should be able to answer questions and offer advice. This is how it should work. However, if you know as much as they do and they don't have what you want in stock (or can even get it in a timely manner), then where's the value in their services?

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
*Local businesses reduce the taxes you pay to the city? (or something like that..)

*Keeping your money local strengthens your community.

*It's great to have a place to go when your derailleur dies (or any other part) and you don't have a backup on hand and that big ride or race you've been planning all week/month/year is today.

*Maybe you just need a new LBS or maybe you should be clear w/ them about your expectations from the start and be clear that your business with them depends on them accepting and meeting your expectations?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Because if you don't buy your tubes and slime and grips from the, they will be forced to close down, and when you need a spoke, or a tube, or slime before your epic ride tomorrow, you'll be SOL.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
skinny-tire said:
Because if you don't buy your tubes and slime and grips from the, they will be forced to close down, and when you need a spoke, or a tube, or slime before your epic ride tomorrow, you'll be SOL.
There's a good argument for owning a second bike.

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
491 Posts
This guy deserves a shout-out

Shop name and location please.

steve3 said:
And maybe the LBS's shouldn't be out to screw their patrons in the first place. High overhead is a poor excuse to charge retarded rates to the very people that support you.

There's a great bike shop in my area. Very tiny, but he specializes in boutique bikes. Everyone talks about him and recommends him. His prices are a bit higher than mail order, but he doesn't f*uck you by charging the prices that bigger shops do. What does that mean? He's got a loyal following that will only go to him. He sells in volume, even at a lower retail price. He doesn't get in over his head with a huge storefront or staff.

So, I say the LBS's have a well deserved reputation for being ripoff artists. The first time I went to this guy's shop, I left thinking I was going to get f*ucked, but I was wrong. I think practices from the many ripoff bike shops color the shops that are fair.

·
Registered
323 Posts
omg

Speedüb Nate said:
DAMN! $40 bucks to custom order...I wish I could do that to my customers. Your IBD must have no (or very little) competition.

Speedüb Nate said:
Because the internet companies only get the over runs, 2nds, overstock, and "not quite rights". The IBD's get first picks, and sometimes that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
For some. But what about the nubie who is just getting into it, and needs some friendly advice, or just wants to chat. I buy stuff online occasionally, but I don't get the chit-chat that I get from my LBS. I think that's worth a couple extra bucks.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
skinny-tire said:
For some. But what about the nubie who is just getting into it, and needs some friendly advice, or just wants to chat. I buy stuff online occasionally, but I don't get the chit-chat that I get from my LBS. I think that's worth a couple extra bucks.
But there is a difference between a noobie who walks in with his bike, says "I need a new seat post, what do you have?", and the shop goes through the process of determining what diameter post he needs and either offering him a selection of various brands and pricepoints from their stock on hand, or pulls out a catalog and shows him what's available...

...versus the [ME] who walks in and says "I need X post in Y size. Here's my money."

I come here or go to the trailhead for idle bike chit-chat. LBS chit-chat 50% of the time recently amounts to guys explaining why the Epic is the lastest revolution in suspension technology (and they just so happen to have a bunch of Epics on the floor marked waay down -- a real head scratcher there!

No, don't get me wrong. I know there is a place for the LBS to fill. There is also a place for mail order. They serve different needs for different folks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Damn you JM

Jm. said:
It's obvious, you support them so they can always be out of stock of the part you need and then charge you 200% of what it should cost :D
If you only knew how much things are marked up. About the only things that are marked up that much are tubes, cables and other tiny little parts. Labor is also a whole different ball game. If shops charged by the hour, cyclists would be screwed hard.

Beau

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Beau said:
If you only knew how much things are marked up. About the only things that are marked up that much are tubes, cables and other tiny little parts. Labor is also a whole different ball game. If shops charged by the hour, cyclists would be screwed hard.

Beau
actualy i do know, i'll probably be starting another (part time) job at a shop in a few weeks.

I have access to the QBP website right now, and I know what the parts sell for in the shop.

A lot of parts are around 200% actually. Tubes and real small stuff can be more like 400% actually.

Bikes and large end-items like forks on the other hand may only be marked up 130-150%

Lets use the right terms though, if we talk about wholesale than 100% is the price that a shop pays for the part from QBP, if we are just talking "markup", then 100% means double the price, but I find it easier to just work with the wholesale figure and express the retail in terms of percentage of that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.