Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know what happened...thought I already posted this but cant find, so here we go again...

8-10 years ago I quit smoking (marlboro Reds 2pack per day) and bought my first MTB...GT avalanche with Judy (squishy) fork. thought mountain biking looked fun and even easy...YIKES...man was I mistaken (except for the fun part)..I was a 230-240 lbs 20-25% body fat x smoker with bad knees, bad lungs, no balance deaply depressed individual, but with a strong will. Im sure glad I stuck it out. I may weigh close to the same (210-215) but the body fat is closer to 10-12% (still some bad eating habits and my legs are like tree trunks compared to the chicken legs I used to have) and my knees are GREAT, my Lungs can almost Keep up so Im able to easily climb hills that I remember either breaking 10-12 times on the way up or walking and watching other people climb..think to myself..WOW..I'll never be able to do that.

Getting close to 10 years later and after 1 GT Hardtail, then a GT I-Drive, then my Enduro Pro and now soon to be Fischer Zigg...IM FRICKIN HOOKED AND LOVING IT

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Oh yah

I was working at Specialized in their warehouse (shipping/receiving). Seeing all the lunch rides gave me the bug. I bought a "Blemmed" FS steel Stumpjumper, jumped on a paved trail and hammered about 6 miles - thought I was gonna die.

I kept with it, got hooked and started lunch rides with those guys - who were/are terribly fast by the way.

Work got in the way, and partying. Ends up I didn't ride for about 7 years. I started again last year.

Cut down on the smoking/drinking, changed the diet and so far have 1400 miles on my FSR, completed a Sprint Triathlon, a 9 mile Duathlon, epic ride in downieville, the SO epic marathon and in 2 weeks I'm gonna ride in the 24 HOA at laguna seca. Needless to say I am hopelessly addicted and ride at least 5 days a week (trail only)

It is soooooooo fun - I feel like I'm friggin' 12 again

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
kurtdb1 said:
I dont know what happened...thought I already posted this but cant find, so here we go again...

8-10 years ago I quit smoking (marlboro Reds 2pack per day) and bought my first MTB...GT avalanche with Judy (squishy) fork. thought mountain biking looked fun and even easy...YIKES...man was I mistaken (except for the fun part)..I was a 230-240 lbs 20-25% body fat x smoker with bad knees, bad lungs, no balance deaply depressed individual, but with a strong will. Im sure glad I stuck it out. I may weigh close to the same (210-215) but the body fat is closer to 10-12% (still some bad eating habits and my legs are like tree trunks compared to the chicken legs I used to have) and my knees are GREAT, my Lungs can almost Keep up so Im able to easily climb hills that I remember either breaking 10-12 times on the way up or walking and watching other people climb..think to myself..WOW..I'll never be able to do that.

Getting close to 10 years later and after 1 GT Hardtail, then a GT I-Drive, then my Enduro Pro and now soon to be Fischer Zigg...IM FRICKIN HOOKED AND LOVING IT
My first MTB ride... I remember it like it was yesterday. I went out to help with a mountain bike race my cousin (Expert 0-18 racer) was racing in. We did ham radio stuff there, made sure everyone got in OK etc. After the race I wanted to ride the sport loop at McDowell on my crappy Wal-Mart bike. After a few comments like "2 miles is a long way" and "There is some hard parts out there" from my dad I set off. BTW I was 14 at the time. I peddled along slowly until I made it to the "Double Dip". I didn't really know if I was going to do it. I stopped at the lip and looked over; the trail dived down steeply, evened out, and then dived down again. I decided I WAS going to ride that loop, and this part too. So I grabbed my handle bard rather tightly and rolled down. For some reason I decided in that split second it was better to death grip the bars than to loosen up and grab the brakes. Probaly a good thing since I was far forward and about to endo anyway, if I hit the front brake I woulda crashed. I hit the bottom of the hill at about 18 mph and slammed right into a bush. I didn't technically crash since I never fell over, just kind or ran over a bush ;) Anyway I continued up the hill feeling like I was going to die, I was far from good shape back then. I made it to the next hard part. A rutted up hill with a sharp left turn at the bottom. I went down the hill but couldn't make the turn and ended up running into a palaverdi tree this time. For those of you who don't know what a palaverdi tree is, it's a tree with thorns all over like a rose bush. So after stopping to pick the thorns out of my arm I pushed on to the end. I made it back to the trail head, bleeding, tired, missing 2 reflectors on my bike, and hooked on mountain biking.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
*flashback*

About 12 years ago I can remember being out on the trails on my fully rigid Mongoose MTB and LOVING it but that thing about BEAT ME TO DEATH! I then installed a Rock Shox Indy fork and things smoothed out considerably...actually I thought that old Indy fork was the SHIZZNIT back then.

Now more then a decade later, that old Mongoose has been replaced several times over by newer and newer technology and....the world is a much smoother place now! If it weren't for suspension technology, I probably wouldn't have gotten into it as much.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Considering that my first experience happened less than 12 months ago, I happen to remember the day rather vividly.

After riding around town for a few weeks, I mustered up the guts to ask an MTBR member if I could tag along for a ride. Drewski and his girlfriend. Don't see Drewski around anymore, which is a bit of a shame.

In any case, I had a two week-old, craptastic Gary Fisher Advance. Both Drewski and his girlfriend were sporting 24 hour old full-sussers, a Jamis Dakar-something and Spesh FSR-something. We went to Mianus in Connecticut.

"Don't worry, it's our first ride of the season, we're going to take it really easy, and this trail is not too difficult." Famous last words.

The trail was packed that day. Riders, hikers, dog-walkers. 10 minutes in and I was heaving my breath like an obscene caller on a telethon. But I kept at it, tried to keep up. Drewski and his girlfriend were terribly gracious to go slow and let the rookie catch up. I spent half the time walking the trails, I think. At one point, we rode alongside a brook, and I came to a log. I chose to jump that tiny log, but when I miscalculated my move, I squeezed on the brakes hard.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!.... (splash)

Drewski came running back. "Did you fall in?" Does a pope crap in the woods? What do you think that splash was? Felt like a total tool. My shoes were wet (so much for Nike ACGs), I had trouble staying on the bike, but I loved every minute of it.

Both Drewski and his girlfriend were so incredibly supportive on my first time out. They probably had a lot to do with me keeping at it, what with their encouraging words, loads of advice and more encouragement. 2 hours and 6 miles later, we all packed up our cars and drove out of there with massive grins. And I vowed to do better my next time out.

·
nobody
490 Posts
June 1991. Just bought a $400, fully rigid Giant Iguana with Suntour XCM components with money I saved mowing lawns. Rode up and down these trails below the power lines near my house (Fairfax, VA). I was shirtless, no helmet, sporting vans, performance biking gloves, a mullet and was grinning from ear to ear.

Thanks for making me remember that.

Ride on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm kind of an old fart

I guess my first mountain bike ride was not on a mountain bike at all but an old Montgomery Wards Sting Ray. I remember as a kid I would go back in the woods to a set of dirt bike/hiking trails and ride the heck out of them, it was much more fun than riding along on the road.
My first real mountain bike ride was after I moved to Colorado, I was a road biker and thought mountain biking was not real biking, I had kind of forgotten the fun I had as a child. A friend of mine talked me into going up in the mountains and renting a mountain bike, a Giant Iguana. We road several trails around Breckenridge, what a blast, I couldn't believe how much fun it was. I bought a Trek 7500 the next week, and have replaced it several times with newer and better bikes. I am currently on a custom Curtlo hardtail and just sold a Jamis Dakar I have built up my last 3 bikes from the frame up, including building the wheels. I still have a road bike but I haven't ridden it in years.

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
My first ride, I remember it well....and for some reason, I feel like I've posted this recently. It was back in Feb of '02. I went to Charlottesville, Va, to celebrate my sis's birthday, and she was huge into riding at the time (still is, for that matter) and I went out with her and all her mtbing buddies. I was the Uber-noob here, and for those of you familiar with the area, we went out and did the Sherando trail system.....not exactly a beginner's course. Needless to say, hours, bruises, blood, and many smiles afterwards, I was drinking a beer and realizing that this was a habit that was here to stay. I was riding a Gary Fisher Big Sur back then, and I still have the frame, after going thorugh many encarnations, hanging up in my room so that I can tell people that "That was the first bike that I rode on!" I've thought about building it up, but unfortuneately, the rear triangle is pinched. I rode the hell out of that bike, and it's provided quite a few memories.

God I love this sport.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
First Ride

It's funny that I remember. It was a warm overcast day in the Spring of 1986 just outside of Sacramento California. My uncle had this new bike that he wanted to sell. I hopped on and gave it a go -- and fell in love with it. I don't remember the brand (but it was nothing special - may have even been a department store bike). I cruised up the street and then onto the smooth narrow path that ran parrallell to the road on the edge of an alf-alfa field. Wow, that was awesome. I was able to jump and weave through the tall clumps of grass on the trail as fast as my Schwinn Continental could go on the road. I felt guilty because I didn't want my brother to ride it -- so I rode a little father down the street then was our little self imposed test ride limit.

I didn't come home with that bike because even at 15, I wanted a better quality of bike. Man, I must have talked about that ride alot because in the spring of 1987 my parents bought the whole family spiffy new Diamond Back Ascent EXs (3) and a Mongoose ATB (1) --- all with the cool new Shimano Deore indexed thumb shifters.

mc

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Sometime in '89.

My parents bought me a Benotto Monte Bello. 12 sp, side-pull brakes.

So I organized a ride with one of my buddies (who by then had a BMX bike). It was muddy as hell and we ended up with big brown donuts and got to find a water stream to be able to go back home by pedaling. It was far enough for not wanting to walk.

So, it was a freaking death march where I couldn't go over 10mph in the fastest places but so far, I learnt to deal with mud.

By then, it was the last time I got rid of a tire set due to wear them. Since some 10 years ago I get sick of them before wearing the tires.

Oh, man... nice thread.....

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Sigh......wish I could remember.

Guess I'd been thinking about buying a mtb enough that I set off on the first few rides with too much impatience to remember them. I do remember bringing my sister along to help me with the big purchase ($425) decision- a Diamondback Sorrento or the HardRock Sport.

I do recall how powerful they felt while circling on pavement behind the store, as if they were restless to bust out and hit singletrack. The handlebars on the HardRock seemed more aggressively flat/straight, and that was what I wanted- a trail bike, not a hybrid.

It was 1990 or so when I rode the Veteran's Park trails in E. Northport- just a "hidden" network of dirt and fireroad paths behind a local elementary school. I was meandering around the neighborhood looking for dirt, and gravitated towards those woods. Up a little hill and voila! Sandy doubletrack! :)

I'd explore the woods and marvel at how I could get to the other side of town by way of the dirt trails. I'd practice climbing the hills, and just basically working up a sweat. The sun would start to go down two hours later and I'd be like, "Crap, gotta go home."

Sometimes the next-door neighbor's kid would run out of the house yelling, "Wait! Wait up! My mom said I could go with you!" and I'd be like, "Crap. Gotta watch out for the kid." I'd be cresting a hill and he'd be like, "Wait up! Wait!!!" and I didn't want to break my momentum on account of him.

Wish I could remember the specifics, but at the time I had no idea what a full-blown obsession it would become. It was just the coolest bike I ever owned, and I was always on the lookout for trails to ride it on.

G

·
1984. Only had one Stumpy so me and my buddy would take turns riding and running. Ride and tie, I believe they call it.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
First ride?

I was a big time roadie.

Just bought my first mountain bike, Diamondback Ascent EX.....what, 1985? I was in "such good" shape, mentally and physically!

Went out on the Fullerton Loop with Richard Cunningham and the crew, and got my ass handed to me big time. I will NEVER forget that ride....I went home with honest tears in my eyes.

Many happy memories from that day on though!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts

All my friends had been riding for years, I have/had a Bmx, Motorcycle, Backpacking background so the mtn biking should have been natural fit. But I saw mtn bikes as a yuppie fad sport and would not participate based on principle.One day I was waiting for a friend to come home so I took his mtn bike for a spin on the housing pads behind his house. Was riding a single track downhill that ended in a 2' drop into a sandy river bed, i made the drop but the sand was too soft and i went over the bars instantly. Been hooked ever since that wreck.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
1982. And it was a Klunker actually. We were in Craig, AK tied up to the dock with a bunch of other seiners and partying like rock stars. One of the guys on another boat had what looked at the time to me like a stripped down Schwinn on his boat and he got it out after a bit and started fooling around on it. I thought it was cool and asked if I could take it for a spin. I rode that thing with half a buzz on for about 2 hrs all over the place and when I got back to the boats the guy who owned the bike was tyring to get a posse together to come look for me. The alkie buzz was gone by then, but I had bike buzz bad. Bought a "real" mtb that fall, a Ross Mt. Hood which was appropriate as I lived in Oregun at the time.

·
Registered
181 Posts

I too was a BMX kid, but stopped riding bikes when I was 16. Got really out of shape and put on a few pounds after college. I bought a Gary Fisher Tassajara in 1996 at age 25 with the idea that I could use it to tool around town. My wife figured the bike would get ridden a few times and would sit in our basement. I bought a ten-dollar helmet at Sports Authority and chose a rainy Saturday in August to try out some single track at a trail near my parents' house.

So I set out with my helmet that looked like a ping-pong ball cut in half, a ratty t-shirt, white sneakers, and grey sweat-shorts (boxers underneath - it's a wonder that I have two kids). For whatever reason, I didn't see a need for gloves - big mistake as I wore away several layers of skin on my thumbs.

I would guess that I rode 2 - 3 miles on that ride and went down about a dozen times (damn toe clips). Suprisingly, though, I had seemed to retain some of my bike-handling skills from my BMX days. I learned quickly that unlike a BMX bike, mountain bikes were most effective when remaining seated uphill.

By that fall, I was pretty much obsessed and over the years have gone through the equipment progressions that I'm sure most of the people on these boards have undrgone - Suspension forks (though I still ride a hard-tail), clipless pedals, new bike, disc brakes, winter riding on the trainer, etc. I dabbled in racing in the beginner class for a couple of seasons, but enjoy group rides and meeting new riders and riding new trails most these days, especially since life has a way of eating away at free time. One or two rides a week is enough to keep me balanced.

It's great to have a hobby that keeps me motivated, as well as keeping me in better shape in my 30's than I was in my 20's. I hope to someday enjoy this hobby with my kids - time will tell.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
2004, february

I went with a group ride that was supposedly for rookies, one that we could invite our gf, sisters, grandma's and whoever. ha ha ha.

I supposedly had an amazing two rides in the city and went through some mtb begginer's clinic.

Well, it was an eye opener! It was completely different from what I had envisioned before. Long uphils (I thought at that time), and crazy downhills (I thought that some singletracks were just plainly impossible).

Made some friends, got muddy, tired, sweaty, and incredibly had a helluva good time! Been hooked since then....

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Memories

Ah yes I remember it; a hellish hike for the most part pushing my Fisher Montare full ridgid aluminum, with a little riding sprinkled in when the trail was flatter or decending. I continued to ride anyway after adding a Manitou 3 fork and broke 2 ribs on the second ride. There must have been something highly addictive in the air because even that didn't discourage me and I'm still at it 12 years, 16 bikes, 3 broken frames and 3 orthopedic surgeries on shoulders and hands. 2 groups of riding freinds have let lifes little responsabilities and middle age get in the way of riding but not me. I'm 30 pounds lighter at 40 than I was at 28 and I'm addicted not just to riding but the technology and the comeradery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.