Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a time in the not too distant past when Thomson was the “must have” component. Particularly seatposts and stems. Super quality and high on the fashion scale.

Seems Thomson has taken a back seat in the component game during recent years. What I didn’t know is that Thomson offers — or ever offered — Ti hardtail & gravel frames, for instance:

I like the idea of a Ti handlebar. I tried to add their riser bar to my cart… out of stock. Probably a good thing since it’d be over $400 once shipping was included.
=sParty

· Registered
10,293 Posts
There was a time in the not too distant past when Thomson was the “must have” component. Particularly seatposts and stems. Super quality and high on the fashion scale.

Seems Thomson has taken a back seat in the component game during recent years. What I didn’t know is that Thomson offers — or ever offered — Ti hardtail & gravel frames, for instance:

I like the idea of a Ti handlebar. I tried to add their riser bar to my cart… out of stock. Probably a good thing since it’d be over $400 once shipping was included.
=sParty
It's pretty crazy - my bikes used to be covered in their parts. Now I only have their stem and seatpost on my beer bike.

· turtles make me hot
11,877 Posts
Wow. I only use their stems and seatposts. I guess I live in my own little world because I haven't noticed what everyone else is using.

One of my friends bought their Ti bars after falling on ice and breaking a carbon bar. They're really nice.

Bummer. If that frame fit 29+ I might give it a second look.

· Administrator
730 Posts
Yep. Thomson cockpit components and King hubs were de rigueur on every boutique build posted on Mtbr once upon a time.

You could not have timed this post better (for me at least).

This weekend, cleaned out my storage unit. While dusting off six of my old mountain bikes, including two frames I welded/brazed myself, I realized that they're all equipped with Thomson stems and seatposts—components that I probably wouldn't consider if building up a new bike today.

While inspecting two of these bikes, I realized that two Thomson stems had cracked since these frames went into storage nearly a decade ago. 😬
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Carbon

· Registered
810 Posts
this happens with all of those trendy bike parts. the trend explodes, only cool (rich) people have them at first and pretty soon every Tom, Dick, Harry and homeless person has them on their bikes and the people who actually care about the trendy-ness find something else to base their life worth on. They feel that Tom, Dick, Harry and homeless people are worth less so they find something new. Also while the above is taking place, people that don't care how trendy things are but assume quality of the item based on popularity, come to the realization that the quality is no better than lesser priced items and that money saved by purchasing lesser quality items can be spent on other things. this happens with lots of stuff. Chris King, Ritchey components, Enve, White industries, Paul's and the list goes on.

Honestly for a stem I would go with a Uno 7, way lighter, $30 and comes in a million angels and lengths. Does not look cool but the only person I need to impress is my wife and she just cares how thick my wallet stays.

· Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,265 Posts
Marketing and new product releases can easily kill a brand. I along with everyone else had stems and seatposts. They were a safe bet. Didn't cost TOO much, looked nice, and seemed to be bulletproof. Didn't know they have a cracking issue, always assumed they were tough as anything. They were never the lightest, although their Masterpiece seatposts are super light.

Carbon posts kind of grabbed the market for XC stuff.

It's an interesting study. There are so many brands that were "it" for many years, and just aren't anymore. RaceFace is a brand that has always been on the radar, since their first product back in the early 90's. Changing ownership several times over.

Thomson does not rely on their bike division to pay the bills I'm guessing. Having not visited their website in years, I'm assuming they are a much larger company and the bike stuff is a side project?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.