Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I've got a 2010 Remedy 8 and have been riding a couple times a week. After the first 50 miles or so I've noticed on the left side of the headset that the shift/brake cable have been rubbing through the paint. Anyone else have this? I have been looking into crankskins and other transparent frame protectors but didn't know if anyone had any luck with either or anything else to suggest.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Frame Rub

Oh yeah, this is very common on all suspension bikes. Bar NONE!
You need to get some heavy duty tape. I found some at a ski shop that they use to cover the tops of snowboards and ski's. Search on line, there are other tapes out there that are specifically designed for the bike industry.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Paint/cable rub happened real fast on my Fuel EX 9.8. So, I just used some electrical tape in the key areas. I tried some 3M motorcycle gas tank plastic protection on my Coiler and it started to fall off after a short time. It may have been too thick to take any tubing bends. Electrical tape can be had in a decent amount of colors to be somewhat inconspicuous as well. Cheap stuff and change it off when/if it wears. I've seen others use the soft side of velcro with adhesive as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got some 3M Scotchgard film off ebay to protect my Fuel EX 8 and I really like it. you only need a little bit because the contact point with the cables is usually very small. It has stayed on fine for the last 6 months. I like it because its not a traditional adhesive, more of a electrostatic deal - so it wont harm the paint if i want to take it off.

Its thick stuff so if you need to apply it to a very curvy area it can take some work, you really need to stretch it and press it with a squeegee - it took me a few tries for the seat tube top tube joint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts