Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Remedy 7 that I bought new a few years ago. I do the lift and shuttle services a lot less than I thought I would and have only rode dh only trails a few times this year. Most of what I ride a few times a week are more single track xc type trails and several of the people I ride with are on hardtails.

From reading about the other suspensions like maestro and dw link, I feel like I might be wasting a lot of energy pedaling if I don't get a different bike. I was thinking about a 2011 Trance x2. Is there really a big difference dealing with parasitic power loss in pedaling going from the Remedy to a 4" or 5" xc or trail bike with a different suspension design?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I have no experience with the Remedy so I'll discuss what my recent findings have been.

I've ridden Horst-link bikes and one bike that was a low single pivot. TheSP was actually an OK bike pedaling up hill but not stellar. The Horst bikes I've ridden were well done designs, Titus, Chumba and KHS.

I recently received a SC Nomad. Although it is pounds heavier than my MotoLite, it pedals better and handles square-edge bumps better. I think multi-link designs are where it is at. If I were in the market today, I'd be looking at a multi-link and probably no others. It has truely been an eye-opening experience for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm now thinking of either the Turner 5 spot frame for 1699 or the Pivot Mach 5 frame for 1499. I just don't want to be disappointed after the purchase that there isn't a decent amount of noticable difference in pedaling efficiency.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
From all of the reviews that mention the pivot not being super plush probably means you will notice a significant difference while pedaling up.

I love the Pivot 5, on paper. The 5.7 even better. The only thing that kept me away from picking up one of those when they were on clearance was the in-between sizes for me. I'd post this in Pivot and the AM forum and see what responses you get. There has to be numerous people that have ridden both. Of course, you'll get many biased opinions in the Pivot forum but worth the discussion.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
There's a lot of hype out there and you're going to need to put some tall waders on to get through it all to get to the bottom of your question. The differences between suspension designs are greatly exaggerated and pedaling performance comes down to the way each particular bike is designed and set up more than what suspension brand name patent is stickered onto the swingarm.

Yes there are differences in the way competing suspension designs pedal, but in practice it's not usually as big a difference as you are hoping. My wife fell in love with the Pivot Firebird, she couldn't believe how well it pedaled among other things. Now does a nearly 7" travel DW-link really pedal that much better than her 5" Cannondale? Or maybe it's because it was significantly lighter with much better parts on it? Hard to say, but in her mind it was because it was lighter.

It comes down to what you think of your bike. If you think one bike pedals better than another then you'll probably find yourself getting better at climbs which you'll attribute to the better suspension design (or lighter wheels, or the carbon saddle you put on it, or whatever your brain comes up with to justify it). If you think your bike climbs better the direct result is that you climb better, it doesn't matter if the suspension design is 12% more efficient or there's a magic gnome that lives in the downtube that pulls a lever to stiffen the compression damping during out of the saddle climbing, what matters is that you feel better climbing on it.

Now that I've rambled for an impressive amount of time, my suggestion is to go test ride as many bikes as possible. Only you can determine what's the best bike for your next bike. Also, consider adding a second bike to your stable; a hardtail for days when you ride with your hardtail crew. It's always nice to have options.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you're willing to drop $1500 or 1700 on a frame just buy yourself a sweet hardtail and have 2 bikes to choose from. That Remedy frame is a good pedaler with all Trek's little tricks (ABP, full floater). You could send your shock out for custom tuning and be right on par with the "best" suspension designs around. If you really want a fast bike, 1/4 of that money on some sweet wheels and faster rolling tires.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have a fuel ex. As much as i like it, i find i pull out my old hardtail much more for long xc climbs. Its that much faster on elapsed times. A lot less control on the descents if you like to go fast. Its really about what you want.

If you want the remedy to ride better, and weight is not an issue, you can tune it for more firmness. Cant do anything about weight and geo, but suspension is very tunable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hardtails I have ridden made me feel like I was going to go otb which I've never felt on my Remedy. Maybe I've taken the magical dw link reviews too seriously and thought I'd be able to climb like a hardtail and still descend like a trail or all-mountain bike.

I've tried firming up the suspension which felt faster going up but not plush coming back down. I just thought I wouldn't have to firm up the suspension or use pro pedal with dw link or maestro. I was thinking they were able to separate pedaling forces from the rear suspension.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Duhno whyd youd feel like you were going otb on an ht. Cant figure that out.

If you call push and tell them you what you want, they can usually improve the tune to something you like better.

Generaly ABP/evo link suspension has more pedal bob vs VPP/DW link, hence the propedal. Push can probably raise the compression on the propedal for you. Ive heard some guys complain that the Mojo HD with the DW lacks plushness. Everything is a compromise.

How about renting a dw bike? Thatll get your questions answered.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't find any dw bikes for rent but did rent a 2011 Trance X2 today, which I guess is the next closest thing. I now agree with the general consensus on this thread that suspension design is overhyped. I didn't notice any difference in pedal bob going up between either bike, it is minimal on both.

The biggest difference climbing was weight that I noticed starting right at the parking lot. I think the Trance felt about 5 pounds lighter than my Remedy. Coming back down, geometry and the narrow handlebars on the Trance were the noticable differences and not in a good way. Both suspensions were very similar.

Renting was great advice and definately better than riding around the bike shop parking lot for a few minutes. I wouldn't trade my Remedy for a Trance but I think I'm going to look for a lighter wheelset. Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I couldn't find any dw bikes for rent but did rent a 2011 Trance X2 today, which I guess is the next closest thing. I now agree with the general consensus on this thread that suspension design is overhyped. I didn't notice any difference in pedal bob going up between either bike, it is minimal on both.

The biggest difference climbing was weight that I noticed starting right at the parking lot. I think the Trance felt about 5 pounds lighter than my Remedy. Coming back down, geometry and the narrow handlebars on the Trance were the noticable differences and not in a good way. Both suspensions were very similar.

Renting was great advice and definately better than riding around the bike shop parking lot for a few minutes. I wouldn't trade my Remedy for a Trance but I think I'm going to look for a lighter wheelset. Thanks.
With DW and Maestro designs the perfect amount of sag is *critical* to create ideal pedaling and suspension action. It's possible you didn't feel how it was supposed to feel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All hands on deck for this one. Your body will feel what works and doesn't. Get out there and ride them. Fairly new and seems that the battle is on for companys saying they have it perfect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.