Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am looking at a 2018 Remedy 8 but totally stuck with size.

I am 5ft 8" with a short inside leg. (Short Torso)
The one I am looking at is a 18.5 frame.

I seem to be in that cross over place.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
263 Posts
Hi all
I am looking at a 2018 Remedy 8 but totally stuck with size.

I am 5ft 8" with a short inside leg. (Short Torso)
The one I am looking at is a 18.5 frame.

I seem to be in that cross over place.
Depending on how short your inseam is, you have a problem getting the dropper post low enough to work for you. I am your size and am on 17.5 Treks for this very reason...

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
263 Posts
If you're in between sizes, I recommend going with the larger size.

But test ride different sizes if you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
This is usually good advice but not with the Trek. You have to pay attention to the seat tube length. I would much prefer an 18.5 but no way I could ride one unless I used a 100mm dropper...

·
Registered
24 Posts
No they are not. The seat tube is 419 on the 17.5 vs 440 on the 18.5. Also, the dropper cannot be fully inserted because of the bend.
Exactly. Dropper cannot be fully inserted. But I think the bend is same high on 17.5 and 18.5. So effective lower dropper is same. Of course seat tune on 18.5 is longer. So highest dropper position is different on 17.5 and 18.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
263 Posts
Exactly. Dropper cannot be fully inserted. But I think the bend is same high on 17.5 and 18.5. So effective lower dropper is same. Of course seat tune on 18.5 is longer. So highest dropper position is different on 17.5 and 18.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. The seat tube is 21mm longer on the 18.5. The lowest position is 21mm higher. A shorter legged rider may have issues with this. I have a 30" inseam and CANNOT ride a 18.5 with a 125mm dropper. I am speaking from experience and not speculation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.