Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a shimano XT groupset for . What parts do I need to make this conversion work (other than the new XT drivetrain parts)?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't there a part I need for the hub? Or do I need a new rear hub as I have a sram drivetrain now.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I learned that sram chainrings don’t mesh well with Shimano chains, and that you need Shimano chains to work well with Shimano cassettes. That means you will most likely need new cranks for the chainrings and a new bottom bracket for the cranks. I also suspect a sram chain may not mesh well with shimano derailleur pulleys. Finally, a Shimano cassette requires a micro-spline free hub.

However, you can keep your sram shifter!

I have yet to find a reliable long term review of running a Shimano chain on sram chainring. The forums contain anecdotal evidence that a Shimano chain with a sram quick link works. I didn’t want to try it, so I bit the bullet and changed-out all, except the sram shifter (which I can say confidently will work with an XT derailleur).

·
Registered
215 Posts
What bike do you have, are the SRAM parts the originals?

First, we need to know what hub body you have, whether or not you can use the standard HG cassette, or if there if the hub is adaptable to Shimano Microspline or if you're stuck with SRAM XD?

Once you figure out what freehub body you have, then you have to buy a new cassette if it isn't compatible. Some cassette are compatible between Shimano and Sram. So you might be able to re-use what you have.

Then you need the XT rear derailleur and trigger shifter.

Depending on what crankset you have, you might be able to just buy an aftermarket chainring that would be compatible with Shimano.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts