Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BontyHunter
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remake, Remodel, Bontrager Ti Lite SS 9'er

Hello All,

I just finished the 9'er Project. It is built up around the BlackSheep Ti fork. I just can't justify a third bike (a 29"), and I can't part with my Bontrager. I'm really happy with the performance after 4 rides. As you can see the weather in the Monterey Bay hasn't been too wet. I've ridden all week with no mud. I hope you like the pics.

Bontrager Ti Lite Frame '98 (Original Owner)
Blacksheep1" Ti Fork
Chris King Ti Headset
Velocity29" VXC Rim
WTB Laser Lite Hub
Mike Garcia Build
Avid 7 Mechanical Disk
ExiWolf 2.3 (Fast Track 2.0 on order)
Midge Bars/Cinelli Tape
DiaCompe 287V Levers
XTR Cranks
Crank Bros. Twin Ti Pedals
Boone Spiderless 33T Ring/18T Cog
Soulcraft Convert
Salsa Stem 40 deg/90 mm
Thomson Post
Fizik Aliante Ti Seat
XTR/Mavic Rear Wheel
Specialized Fast Track 2.0
SKS F&R Fenders
Avenir Rear Custom (hack) Fender

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mmmmmm bontis

I tried the same 26/29 thing, with a bonti ti no less, using a 29er front wheel in a fork designed for 26" but with enough axle to crown height for clearance. The lack of front brakes was a bit concerning but immediately found it to make the feel really slow and tanklike so the ride didn't last long. Now I feel like I need to try it again!!! I would be really interested to know the rake and axle to crown measurements for your fork. Cheers! :D

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Oh, my favorite two things: Bontrager and 29ers. I'm seriously considering Rock Lobster for my next bike (rigid SS 29er) since that's the closest I'll come to a Race Lite 29 ;) . Enjoy that setup until you become addicted to the 29er and have to have a full 29 bike.

·
BontyHunter
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remake, Remodel, Bontrager Ti Lite SS 9'er

Hey Looper,

James at BlackSheep worked with me to keep the geometry as original. The fork is 457 mm from axle to crown. el-cid, Rock Lobster makes a nice frame. You may want to check out Hunter Cycles too. http://www.huntercycles.com/ You're right it is only a matter of time.

Attachments

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Slightly off track, but

I ride my 94 Race light with a modified SID race fork. I never measured tha axle to crown, but I can tell it rides a little higher. I have it at 80 now, but it was a 100 mm fork when I put it on, and with a little extra sag, I thoughtt he handling was superb. I think the geometry can handle a slightly loonger a-c, which obviously results in a slightly slacker head angle adn a slightly higher BB. So be it, the things handle great.

·
BontyHunter
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BB Height

The BB bracket height is 12" with the new set up (stock was 11.75"). Quite nice since one of my goals was to clear obstacles, logs... easier. It has worked perfectly in that respect. It is amazing how you become accustomed to your bikes dimensions. One of the biggest transitions to this new set up is the unconscious foot dabs and corrections that you make while riding. Even just stopping the bike while in the saddle, then it becomes obvious that your a .5' higher than you used to be. In the first 4 rides I have plenty of reminders of this incremental change.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Man! back in the day I lusted after a Bonty Ti Lite. What about a special edition 29er Ti Lite or Race lite? Anyone from Trek listening?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
LJintheUK said:
Man! back in the day I lusted after a Bonty Ti Lite. What about a special edition 29er Ti Lite or Race lite? Anyone from Trek listening?
tumbleweeds......................nope......treks not listening. they stopped a long time ago. wish such a thing would happen but it wont.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts