Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of circumstance in my life, I am considering moving to be closer to my father in Falmouth ME. I have lived in Colorado since the early 90's and have ridden in MN,UT,WY,IA,MO,VA,WV,NC each area offers unique experiences to the mountain biker. For example, MN riding are one bike & directional trails which is extremely fun mile for mile, but the flip side in Colorado we use multi use & directional trails but CO has +1000% more trails to enjoy. That said, where is the mountain biking mecca in the ME,NH,VT areas. I am looking for a cool place to live, to start over, where the trails are great and nordic skiing is close too is a plus. Your advise is great appreciated. Chris https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/cornut.gif

·
Registered
101 Posts
My vote would be conway NH. It has everything you could want e.g. great trails, hiking, climbing, xc skiing, downhill skiing etc. Not sure about the work scene though unless you are in the tourism industry. Hope you find what you are looking for...

·
Registered
861 Posts
There is pretty decent riding in the North Shore of mass I hear. Also If you want to travel a little bit, the lakes region in NH and even parts of Maine have some decent riding. I live in the NH seacoast and I don't have any shortage of trails to ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advise. My father does have a time share in Conway NH. Been there and telemarked Bretton Woods, great area. About three hours to Falmouth ME. Do you have any resources; websites for mountain biking in New England or racing series? Still open to people's suggestions. Thanks

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
chirochris said:
Thanks for your advise. My father does have a time share in Conway NH. Been there and telemarked Bretton Woods, great area. About three hours to Falmouth ME. Do you have any resources; websites for mountain biking in New England or racing series? Still open to people's suggestions. Thanks
Three hours? Not even close. I can make it to the shaws in N.Conway in under 1.5 hours from Portland. Done it many times.

North Conway has some awesome riding, but as far as everything else goes, like quality of life, things to do, people, pace of life, I'm not sure I'd want to live anywhere else in the Northeast besides here in Portland. I find the riding in the immedieate area, to be not quite as good as some other places in NE, but everything else makes up for it.

Some highlights:
Rivertrail- In town and awesome
Cape/South Portland - 5 minutes
Bradbury - 15-20minutes
Aggie- 40 minutes
Exeter- hour
North conway- 1.5
Lynnwoods and other Northshore stuff - 1.5
Kingdom trails - 3 Hours

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Portsmouth, NH is a pretty hip and happenin' place. 15 min to Mt. A, 15 min to Ft. Rock, 40 min to Harold Parker / Lynn Woods, 45 min to Bear Brook, 40 min to FOMBA, 50 min from Portland, ME, 45 min from Boston, 5 min from ocean, 1.5 hrs to N. Conway. Oh, and no income tax (great if you're a renter). Property taxes kind of blow the big one, though.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
taxes

PutAwayWet said:
Portsmouth, NH is a pretty hip and happenin' place. 15 min to Mt. A, 15 min to Ft. Rock, 40 min to Harold Parker / Lynn Woods, 45 min to Bear Brook, 40 min to FOMBA, 50 min from Portland, ME, 45 min from Boston, 5 min from ocean, 1.5 hrs to N. Conway. Oh, and no income tax (great if you're a renter). Property taxes kind of blow the big one, though.
i have to admit that after living by the nh seacoast for just over 2 years now, i'm totally sold. done.

as jay says though, property taxes are stupid high and as a renter i'm a happy camper. i did however just get back into the landlord game, but i bought on the cape where taxes are stupid low and insurance is cheap too, so the best of both worlds. now i have another excuse to go and ride all of the great one-track on the cape while checking in on my rental units and making extra cha-ching.

real estate in the right market at the right time. best way to go imho.

jay! fort rock in the morning? sunday river saturday? yes jay, skiing on saturday.:D

rog

·
Go Bruins!
587 Posts
I've lived in the seacoast area since 88. The rest what Jay (PAW) said. Yo, Jay, it's been awhile. Met you with Sev and Dave at BB in the spring. I gotta get to BB this weekend or next week sometime. It's been too long since I've been.

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
I'd love to ride tomorrow, Rog! But I get to drive to Berlin to pound a stake in the ground, then drive home instead. ooctrl - what a crappy year for riding for me. Lots of overtime at work, which was good for the bank account - but super shitty for ride time. I hope you got out more than I did...

·
Go Bruins!
587 Posts
PutAwayWet said:
ooctrl - what a crappy year for riding for me. I hope you got out more than I did...
I'll tell you bud, I wish I did. June was a washout because of rain. Had to get the rear suspension built on the FS is early July, so built up the HT. Rode the HT too hard too far on clipless (80-100 miles a week for 3 weeks straight) versus my normal 60-70 miles and badly bruised a metatarsal bone in my foot. That was the second week of Aug. This being by far the most menacing and aggravating injury I've ever had, I should have realized it was getting bad before it was too late, but I have a tendency to push through things. I've had two rides since August in this past week as I've finally started to get better. Damn bone bruises can take 8-12 weeks to heal properly I'm told. I'm just thankful that I'll get some riding time in before the snow comes and before this beautiful fall season ends. Take care....

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
No, it really is....surrounded by some of the best riding in the east. Surrounded by the best Mtns in the East. On 89, an hour from the NH border, 30 minutes to burlington, and hour from the Adirondacks. If I could have afforded a house, that's where I'd be.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Nordic in the mad river valley, or at trapps in Stowe, MTBing in town, or stowe, or the valley (waitsfield/warren) , also close to milstone, Hinesburg, a bunch of other fellowship stuff. Climbing and hiking in the notch and in bolton, great white water all around. Good Brew pub, plus a good fine dining restaurant in town, as well as a thai place, sushi, and another descent bar at the Res., Close to Burlington. Really a nice place.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
DaveVt said:
Nordic in the mad river valley, or at trapps in Stowe, MTBing in town, or stowe, or the valley (waitsfield/warren) , also close to milstone, Hinesburg, a bunch of other fellowship stuff. Climbing and hiking in the notch and in bolton, great white water all around. Good Brew pub, plus a good fine dining restaurant in town, as well as a thai place, sushi, and another descent bar at the Res., Close to Burlington. Really a nice place.
Dave, I agree with all that and would happily live in Waterbury (if I didn't already live in paradise) but you must have missed the part about living close to his father in Falmouth, ME.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gotta totally agree with the portsmouth suggestion. We've recently relocated to the area from living in NYC/NJ for 8 years. Since the relocation we've been very happy with everything. We are especially impressed with the food/dining/hanging out options in portsmouth. Fort Rock is about 15 mins away. Plenty of other riding options 15-30 mins away. And if you are willing to drive a bit even further, i can't even name all of the places!

Being close to outdoor stuff esp riding and having somewhat of a bar scene were the two reasons why we picked portsmouth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.