Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Dos Niner frame. I have not ridden a Dos, but I think that it just might be the frame I'm looking for.
I'm currently riding a GF Xcaliber, and the bike suits me well. I don't think I need a FS bike at this point, but the idea of a softail interests me.
I'm interested in feedback about the Relish shock. Will it "bob" on a standing climb? Is there some sort of lockout on the shock itself?

Also, I asked my guy at the LBS about ordering a Dos Niner (they built a nice Mariachi last year). He was'nt a 100% sure that he could get one in, but we could try. I asked why not a sure thing, and he stated that it all depends on who (what other local shops) has a 3 month "Protected coverage", or something like that, that keeps other shops from ordering/selling Salsa frames.
I've got a good relationship with this shop, and buy from them exclusively. I'm pretty certain I'd like to give the Dos a try, but I'll be damned if I'm going to the Trek store to order one from them. Anyone know anything about the selling policies of Salsa?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As of today they will sell through authorized dealers and distributors... including online distributors. From what I hear, and have read on the forums, customer service is great too over warrantee issues.

p.s.
wait 24 hours and see what they are releasing today.

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
Here is some Dos Niner info for you:

The relish does not have a lock out. It doesn't need one. Even standing and hammering our of the saddle I can never feel any pedel bob. I've owned 2 dos niners now. The origional light green and the new orange. The light green I'd had for some years (it was released in 2005) and the relish still held air perfectly.

Concerning sales policy I think you're shop should be able to order one through QBP. I don't think the shop needs a contract agreement with Salsa.

When you think of a softtail, think of it as a really plush hard tail.... If you think of it as a short travel full suspsension you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Salsa Relish Air or Oil/Air Shock?

Question about the Relish shock:
The FAQ at http://salsacycles.com/faq.html says:

What air pressure should I use in the Relish shock of the Dos Niner?
The Relish shock is a low-pressure air/oil shock. It is air adjustable. As with any suspension setting, you need to try different settings to find your personal optimal choice. Try these recommendations as a starting point.

Rider under 125 lbs: 10 psi
Rider under 150 lbs: 15 psi
Rider under 175 lbs: 20 psi
Rider under 200 lbs: 25 psi
Rider under 225 lbs: 30 psi

Remember, the Dos Niner is a one-inch travel soft tail. You should be using full rear travel frequently during your normal off-road ride.

Which is slitglhy different to the settings shown in Relish Manual:
%%%%%%%%%
Rider Weight PSI Starting Point
125 lbs 20-31
150 lbs 25-38
175 lbs 29-43
200 lbs 33-50
225 lbs 38-56
250 lbs 42-62
Salsa Relish™ Air Shock
%%%%%%%%

Any reasons for such difference between these two advices for Relish settings ?

Also how can you service this shock ? Are there any manuals for this ?

Thanks for the advices !

·
Dave
899 Posts
DosNiner

I built my 08 Dos in December for Christmas. I have logged over 750 miles since then and I love it. THe front end is very stiff and doesn't wander like my last bike. The rear end seems to help you stay on line. The Relish shock it great, I run about 40 PSI and I weigh about 200 lbs with gear. I still get about an inch of travel. This is NOT a FS bike by any means but if you love HT's and ever wanted a little softer ride this is it. I have had other riders say "Hey you're bobbing a little" Another guy said he was amazed at how easily it moves, he was watching for while I guess. Not like his softail, Steal frame.
I have a Fox F29 80mm on the front and that thing is amazing too. Disc brakes and 27 speeds. I use my big ring to get this baby above 25 mph. I don't know why people just use a 1x9 it baffles me. This bike is so nice at high speed. It goes thru the sand really well also. I have XT hibs laced to WTB Laserdisc, not the lightest or strongest but priced right for me. I would love a $1000 pair of wheels to try and see if there is a big diff. I bought the XL and it weighed about 30 lbs when done. Cost about 2600, built myself. But it flys well.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great bike and great photos!

I finally got mine setup: weight about 25 lbs and costed ~$3000, but smaller frame L. My total weight (with the "stuff" is around 190 lbs).
I have setup the Relish at 25 psi, and I might try to go higher, as I had full travel frequently.

I might try to go higher a bit. That's a photo taken this week before my first trip:

·
Registered
33 Posts
@TwistedCrank:
Looks like you have a minute 29, is it the absolue? How is that pairing with the softie?

@all:
Anyone have issues with the standover height? I'm looking at a medium (small too small, large too large from a TT perspective) and the standover specs put it with no wiggle room if you get me. Hoping to throw a leg over a small buildup tomorrow to get some perspective, but curious how the owners feel about this.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Stand over is tight for most I would imagine.

Here's mine. It's an XL. I have since put on a softer saddle (Specialized Rival a year or so old, new ones are much more "racey"), flipped the stem over, dropped it all the way down and cut the steerer. It weighs about 25.5 with an additional rather heavy bottle cage.

It could lose some weight in the wheels both in lighter rims (original Delgado Discs on there now) and by going tubeless. Also, the pedals, stem and bar are on the chunky side.

The relish definitely holds air well. I may have to drop the psi down a bit based on those newer recommendations. I think I'm about 35 now. I'm probably around 200 geared up.

I can feel a little waggle in the front end but it sounds like they took care of that. I love the way it rides but have been wondering about how something with 3 or 4 inches would feel. All I've ever ridden is hardtails.

Cheers!
-Ian

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.