1 Fit bolt m3 7 non t Ti
1 fox fork axle holder m4 8 tapper Ti
1 water B m5 20 Shallow Al
1 water B m5 15 Shallow Al
2 front D hander m5 10 Countersunk Al

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Titanium is a wonderful metal, for tubing. Not so much, as fasteners because they don’t like being stretched and pulled. Don’t make ti bolts the weak link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Titanium is a wonderful metal, for tubing. Not so much, as fasteners because they don't like being stretched and pulled. Don't make ti bolts the weak link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree. Most factory race teams(moto and MTB), airplane manufacturers and orthopedic surgeons are using titanium for fasteners and screws. Steel is harder which is good for bolt heads but titanium is stronger and doesn't fatigue. I have titanium bolts that I have moved from bike to bike over the years. I just make sure to always buy Ti 6Al-4V alloy. I do have to be more careful when using small allen keys with the heads to make sure they are engaged before loosening and tightening.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Ti is used for medical implants due to its inertness and bio compatibility. There are many grades of steel fasteners, and steel can be much stronger than titanium. Ti definitely fatigues and there are many cracked ti frames that attest to this. Note that ti spindles always have lower weight limits than steel. Sometimes ti is the best material, and sometimes it's not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ti is used for medical implants due to its inertness and bio compatibility. There are many grades of steel fasteners, and steel can be much stronger than titanium. Ti definitely fatigues and there are many cracked ti frames that attest to this. Note that ti spindles always have lower weight limits than steel. Sometimes ti is the best material, and sometimes it's not.
Frames and spindles are different than fasteners, and there are plenty of cracks in steel frames as well. Shimano specs grade 5 titanium fasteners on its XTR line. Ibis also specs an aluminum front shock bolt and titanium rear shock bolt on all of its bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.