Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a budget single speed bike that has disc brakes front and back. I would like as little maintenance as possible. I assume I won't significantly benefit from full suspension since I expect to ride it mostly on roads (although those roads may have potholes). The priority is on reliability and low maintenance.

I am about 6 feet tall.

I was looking at the Dawes Bullseye and the Gravity G29.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
I would also look at the nearest LBS's close to you. See which ones treat you the best and then make a decision on what brands the store(s) you like sell.

Fit is especially important. My guess is you would be a large with most companies, maybe XL.

Just as a conversation starter, here is my first suggestion:
Quick CX 4 - QUICK CX - FITNESS - FITNESS & URBAN - BIKES - 2015

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
I'd rather be on my bike
2,749 Posts
I am more inclined to say that you won't find something that is single speed, budget, and has disc brakes. Most road specific bikes are still rim brake, with a few exceptions. Mountain bikes have more of a market for the disc brake. That is why I suggested the Rig that I did.

·
Registered
898 Posts
There are tons of single speed disc equipped cyclocross bikes out there that have a decent geometry for commuting, and usually the requirements necessary for fenders and racks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you are looking only at flat bar bikes with discs, a past year Kona Unit might be worth a look. For the difference in price, you might find a geared bike like the Quicks or Scott Aspects and convert it to SS. REI also has a 3 speed IGH Novara for $850, if you just don't want deraileurs.

I know nothing about hydraulic disc brakes, but for mechanicals, I have been really happy with my bb7s and find the bb5s a little fiddly. Paying a little more up front might be worth it in saved aggravation and replacement parts (unless you are a bike mechanic and have an extensive parts bin).

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Just about ANYTHING can become a singlespeed.
Awww, don't go saying that. Trying to ss a modern, geared bike from a major manufacturer needs a tensioner (which defeats the purpose), an eccentric hub, or a weirdo bb conversion. On old bikes it was easy, but nowadays it's much easier to convert ss to geared than the other way round.

And on that subject:

You could get a trek district and have the LBS convert it to single speed. Its in the 600-700 range.
The District used to have sliders, but on the website it looks like all of the new ones are just vertical dropouts?

My only comments on the Dawes Bullseye and the Gravity G29 are:

• They're both geared low for the road. If you plan on hitting some trails then you could leave them as-is. But if it's 99% road, then definitely plan to gear up - either a new chainring or even just a 16t rear cog.
  • I would go for the Dawes, because rigid steel is probably nicer than rigid Al

·
since 4/10/2009
30,900 Posts
Awww, don't go saying that. Trying to ss a modern, geared bike from a major manufacturer needs a tensioner (which defeats the purpose), an eccentric hub, or a weirdo bb conversion. On old bikes it was easy, but nowadays it's much easier to convert ss to geared than the other way round.

And on that subject:

The District used to have sliders, but on the website it looks like all of the new ones are just vertical dropouts?

• They're both geared low for the road. If you plan on hitting some trails then you could leave them as-is. But if it's 99% road, then definitely plan to gear up - either a new chainring or even just a 16t rear cog.
I don't think a tensioner is such a bad thing. I definitely don't think it defeats the purpose. Maybe it's not as mechanically clean as a dropout system that allows you to take up chain slack, but it works. And if we're talking about doing it on a budget, isn't a tensioner more budget-friendly? My first SS used a $30 ebay frame. I spent less than $200 on it, and it was even a trailworthy bike.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
^ it depends what the goal is.

If someone already has a bike, and they want to try ss, then a tensioner is fine. Although it's still not exactly cheap, since it's easy to spend $30~40 for a tensioner, cog and spacers (although yeah, you could just use an old derailleur and cassette)

But if someone is saying that they want a new ss bike, then they're much better off just getting a bike with an ss-able frame. A geared-to-ss conversion should be a last resort.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,900 Posts
^ it depends what the goal is.

If someone already has a bike, and they want to try ss, then a tensioner is fine. Although it's still not exactly cheap, since it's easy to spend $30~40 for a tensioner, cog and spacers (although yeah, you could just use an old derailleur and cassette)

But if someone is saying that they want a new ss bike, then they're much better off just getting a bike with an ss-able frame. A geared-to-ss conversion should be a last resort.
Like I said, I built a singlespeed on a college student budget for about $200. Sold it several years later at a profit, actually. The supply of ss-able frames on the market is fairly limited. Horizontal track ends, IMO, are $hit when you're talking about disc brakes, too, so that eliminates a lot of the "options". I've never used a bike with sliders, or swingers, or any of the newer drops meant to tension chains, so I can't comment on them. But they at least seem like much better choices than track ends with disc brakes.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'd take a tensioner over something with sliding dropouts.
Sliding dropouts, or trackends like Harold mentioned? Because sliding dropouts work just fine.

If someone wants a ss frame their options are:

• sliding dropouts
  • swinging dropouts
  • ebb
  • trackends
  • old-school horizontal dropouts (which you'd probably never find with discs)

I think that's it?

And of that list, I think most people would take sliders/swingers over any of the others (especially with discs). Personally, I've had all of them except for swingers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

And on that subject:

I think I remember reading somewhere, perhaps even on this forum, that the Gravity had slightly better components, but I'm open to suggestions. Perhaps I should visit an LBS before I make the decision.

That said, the bike does not have to be brand new. I don't mind getting a used one.

The Trek bike mentioned above is on the other side of the country from me and is local pick up only.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
^ I didn't realize that the Dawes doesn't actually come with discs, and that you'd have to add them. For that reason alone you'd probably be better with the Gravity. And it looks like the Gravity does have better wheels and headset.

Although as Rustedthrough mentions, if you could find a deal on a yearold Kona Unit it would be a genuinely great bike (but probably 2x the price of the others)

·
I'd rather be on my bike
2,749 Posts
OP needs to reply with budget and we can all go from there. A budget to some means under $100, or under $5000 to others.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Some good points made above.

For frame of reference, I paid right around $800 for my new (old stock) 2014 Unit about two months ago. The stock tires were good enough that I could have had the LBS swap them out at purchase for something more roadworthy, or at least a deep discount on some big slicks.

A quick stop in your local bike shops will likely be time well spent, you might even find some great older bikes that have been traded in, or old stock at the distributor.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts