Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used set of Cane Creek Zonos SS rims, they are probably a 2004 set. I have been having a lot of problems with the rear freehub and the pawls catching, or lack thereof. The pawls stuck once and no power was delivered to the rear wheel, so I took it apart. Cane creek has great on-line manuals and cleaned it and put some lithium grease in there then put it back together. I rode it about 5-7 hours and the pawls stuck again. I just took it apart again and this time cleaned out the grease and put it together relatively dry tis time, I also tightened the hub pawl spring to give the pawls more spring pressure. Now they work again, but I'm beginning to wonder about Cane Creeks quality and design, or is it just age and I should try to get new parts such as a freehub, pawls, pawl spring and bearings?

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
I know only one person with CC wheels, and he's had them back for service multiple times for the same reason... it suggests to me that the design is flawed.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is one thing I saw with the pawl retainer spring when I had it apart the other night, it is that the spring could be put into a position to retain the pawls 2 possible ways:

1) Is with the L ends on opposing sides of the retaining wall with each resting in it's own pocket on the spline. This is how I originally put the hub back together and the error I see with this is that the spring can overlap itself in the cut on the spline thereby stopping it's spring action.

2) Put the L ends both in the same pocket which eliminates the spring overlap in the cut between the splines. The only drawback to this is that one pawl has more spring than the other. This is what I currently am trying and I would bet it is the correct way to put the retainer spring back in.

I should send this whole thing to Cane Creek service to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fix for Cane Creek Zonos rims

I just spoke with a wheel rebuilder at Cane Creek and he said that in the ealier model rims about 2003-2004 the groove between the retaining walls of the freehub was small and they had a revision to their parts that increased this opening to 2mm. By increasing this opening the retaining spring can overlap itself and lay side by side in the groove without binding. He said I could just use a dremel tool to open up the groove. He was very helpful and offered to rebuild the rear hub for just the cost of the parts, I had to decline because I like the rims so much I'll do the work myself so I don't have any down time. This explanation makes sense and Cane Creek has been very helpful, so I would highly recommend these rims. I beat the living hell out of them and they are still true and fast as hell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.