Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 1921 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'm considering going mullet on my Catch 2 (the 27.5 + version). For context, I'm now on a Fezzari La Sal Peak, started in 27.5+ mode, and have recently converted it to a mullet setup - absolutely loving this setup. My wife has inherited the Catch 2. I can drop a 29er wheel in without any mods, and am not really concerned about dropping the travel from the 150mm up front. But as AVC said, I'm wondering about the seat tube angle slacking out too much.

All that being said, I guess I can just drop my wheel on her bike, and see how she likes it. Updates as I have them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea what a mullet conversion is :)

It looks like you put a 29 fork and wheel up front and kept the stock wheel in back?

·
Registered
215 Posts
After 3 years, going through my 2017 R3 and freshening things up. New pivot bearings, rear shock needle bearing upgrade, servicing the Pike and adding the Debonair upgrade, full service of the rear shock, and scraped the dried sealant out of my tires, haha.

What I have found so far is that the upper links lower bearings were super gritty while all other bearings were smooth. The upper shock bushing doesn't want to move. Glad I ordered two of the needle bearing kits.

Curious how the Debonair upgrade will be with the Pike. Was going to get the Vorsprung Luftkappe but read about the Debonair upgrade and there is quite a price difference. Vorsprung lists the 150mm Pike as not compatible with the Luftkappe and the MRP Ramp Control. The Debonair upgrade can be used to increase travel but decided to keep the stock 150mm.

I've reached out to Diamondback to see about getting replacement rear shock hardware. The hex sizing of the bolts is a little off. The Release Master Document I have lists them as 6mm but a 5.5mm will not fit and a 5mm is slightly loose. Have also tried standard sizing just in case and the 5mm is the closest. After a few shock services and the bolts are getting slightly deformed.

Pivot Bearings
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKDB5.html

Shock Needle Bearings
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-22.20.html

Rockshox Debonair Upgrade 00.4019.931.008
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/rockshox-debonair-air-spring-upgrade-kit-fits-pike-a1-a2-2014-2017-130mm-29-150mm-27-5-160mm-26

·
Registered
323 Posts
After 3 years, going through my 2017 R3 and freshening things up. New pivot bearings, rear shock needle bearing upgrade, servicing the Pike and adding the Debonair upgrade, full service of the rear shock, and scraped the dried sealant out of my tires, haha.

What I have found so far is that the upper links lower bearings were super gritty while all other bearings were smooth. The upper shock bushing doesn't want to move. Glad I ordered two of the needle bearing kits.

Curious how the Debonair upgrade will be with the Pike. Was going to get the Vorsprung Luftkappe but read about the Debonair upgrade and there is quite a price difference. Vorsprung lists the 150mm Pike as not compatible with the Luftkappe and the MRP Ramp Control. The Debonair upgrade can be used to increase travel but decided to keep the stock 150mm.

I've reached out to Diamondback to see about getting replacement rear shock hardware. The hex sizing of the bolts is a little off. The Release Master Document I have lists them as 6mm but a 5.5mm will not fit and a 5mm is slightly loose. Have also tried standard sizing just in case and the 5mm is the closest. After a few shock services and the bolts are getting slightly deformed.

Pivot Bearings
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKDB5.html

Shock Needle Bearings
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-22.20.html

Rockshox Debonair Upgrade 00.4019.931.008
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/rockshox-debonair-air-spring-upgrade-kit-fits-pike-a1-a2-2014-2017-130mm-29-150mm-27-5-160mm-26
What is the Release Master Document you speak of and where can I get one?

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
The link in this post should still work:

https://forums.mtbr.com/diamondback/release-any-owners-yet-1008268-4.html#post13314766

Would be super handy if Diamondback actually had documentation on their website but looks like they only have info on their older bikes. :(

https://ride.diamondback.com/bike-manuals
Thanks. I just got a Release 29 this year so I am not sure how relevant the information is in that guide. I downloaded it anyway. I guess I'll email Diamondback and see if they have any updated guides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HEY GUYS! I'm new around here and found this thread. I am the new owner of a 2016 Diamondback Release 1! I wanted to say hi and see how everyone is liking their rides.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks. I just got a Release 29 this year so I am not sure how relevant the information is in that guide. I downloaded it anyway. I guess I'll email Diamondback and see if they have any updated guides.
Yeah, I am not sure how accurate the information in that manual is as Diamondback's pivot video calls out different torque values. My rear shock has 5mm hex bolts while the manual say 6mm. Still handy to have though.

How are you liking your 29er Release?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure how accurate the information in that manual is as Diamondback's pivot video calls out different torque values. My rear shock has 5mm hex bolts while the manual say 6mm. Still handy to have though.

How are you liking your 29er Release?
This is my first full suspension bike (and 29'er)...I resisted for so long. I love it. I am blown away by how well it climbs. Feels super plush to me but I am a regular hardtail rider so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
215 Posts
HEY GUYS! I'm new around here and found this thread. I am the new owner of a 2016 Diamondback Release 1! I wanted to say hi and see how everyone is liking their rides.
Welcome and congrats on the new-to-you bike! Don't be shy to ask questions or share pics.

This is my first full suspension bike (and 29'er)...I resisted for so long. I love it. I am blown away by how well it climbs. Feels super plush to me but I am a regular hardtail rider so take that for what it's worth.
My '17 R3 is my first full suspension (have rented in the past) and I've been very happy with mine. Makes me wonder why I didn't get a full suspension earlier, haha. That said, I still have my old 26" hardtail. I've been thinking about getting a new steel frame for that bike to upgrade from the old geometry aluminum frame. But new frame means new fork. Then start looking at other things to change out. Then question whether to stay with 26" wheels...the list goes on, haha.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My '17 R3 is my first full suspension (have rented in the past) and I've been very happy with mine. Makes me wonder why I didn't get a full suspension earlier, haha. That said, I still have my old 26" hardtail. I've been thinking about getting a new steel frame for that bike to upgrade from the old geometry aluminum frame. But new frame means new fork. Then start looking at other things to change out. Then question whether to stay with 26" wheels...the list goes on, haha.
Similar to my situation. I had a 26" Litespeed and started getting more into biking again a few years back. I ended up selling the Litespeed for a 27.5". Since then, I've added a fat bike, gravel bike and now the Release 29'er. I held out as long as I could on a full suspension and now that I have it I am not sure why I waited. Still, a lot of the maintenance concerns me as pivots are all new to me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Similar to my situation. I had a 26" Litespeed and started getting more into biking again a few years back. I ended up selling the Litespeed for a 27.5". Since then, I've added a fat bike, gravel bike and now the Release 29'er. I held out as long as I could on a full suspension and now that I have it I am not sure why I waited. Still, a lot of the maintenance concerns me as pivots are all new to me.
My pivots have been pretty trouble free. I regreased and inspected them when I first received my bike since some of the early Release bikes had some issues with the pivots. The issue I had was the upper pivot pin was missing a taper that was present on the three other pivot pins. This made it almost impossible to reassemble but I added the taper and all is good. At the time, Diamondback support didn't have a good understanding of the issue. Some people received new pins with tapers where the one replacement I received didn't. So hopefully Diamondback fixed that issue with the newer bikes. :)

It is now three years later and I haven't touched the pivots in that time. No noise or anything but did find two bearings needing to be replaced. The bearings are standard size so easy to find and replace. Getting good pullers and presses are key to an easy, damage-free bearing swap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took my 4C to Massanutten this past weekend. It gobbled up everything the western slope could throw at it. Saturday hit the lifts, it did really well although I can see how longer travel bike would be more desirable for full time lift service mountain biking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks like alloy Releases are back in stock. Not that they are nearly as good a deal for the component spec as they were 3-4 years ago, but still, given the shortage of available bikes maybe a good option for some folks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looks like alloy Releases are back in stock. Not that they are nearly as good a deal for the component spec as they were 3-4 years ago, but still, given the shortage of available bikes maybe a good option for some folks.
Yeah, they are a lot more expensive even on the corporate discount. Plus when I bought mine, had an additional 10% off coupon. Definite steal. Would be an additional $1200 to buy one now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The first year had some pretty good component specs: Release 1 had Monarch/Yari suspension and GX drivetrain, and was under $1200 with the various discounts in late 2016 early 2017. The Release 2 was an even better deal with a Pike fork, 1x drivetrain and a dropper post for about $1600. Oh well, different owners, different policy.

1901 - 1920 of 1921 Posts