Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm am looking to lighten up one of my bikes, getting away from my usual Aggressor/Dhrii/DHF/MM itteriations and probably to something like Rekon 2.4WT Exo 60 TPI rear and Rekon 2.6 or Forekaster 2.6 up front. I figure I can get away with the lighter 120 TPI casing up front. I just cant decide which would be the better tire up front...based on tread design, I'd have to guess the Forekaster would offer a little better cornering (and possibly braking) on everything except hardback...at the expense of a little rolling resistance.

Also, why is it Maxxis lists the 2.6 Forekaster 3C Exo 120 TPI at 840g and the exact variant on Rekon is only 780g? The tread blocks probably weigh about the same, so the Forekaster casing must be bigger, or thicker, assuming those listed weights are correct?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I run a 2.6 Forekaster in front and 2.6 Rekon in the back. Feel like the right set-up given their trend patterns.

5010_Hawes.jpg

Reactions: Cayenne_Pepa

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
Interesting. I've been DHF 2.5/Aggressor 2.3 on one bike (with a sus fork) and Rekon 2.6/2.25 on my rigid SS.

Swapped the DHF 2.5 front for a Rekon 2.6 and the Rekon 2.6 front for the Forekaster 2.6 recently.

The first swap was to try to lighten up a heavier bike I built to shred Pisgah but also race at some point. The second was to get something a little more loose/wet condition friendly on the rigid. So far, both changes have been aces. I still think I'm gonna try to find something a little lighter/narrower for the suspended bike, but I'll keep the Forekaster on the rigid unless things are gonna be super dry. It likes to eat.

BTW: The suspended bike feels worlds different with more than a pound shaved off in rotating weight.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! But I'm still not getting why the 2.6 Rekon and Forkaster are different in weight with the exact same iterations. Different thickness on casing I guess?

In regards to something skinnier, how about the Forekaster 2.35? I've also wondered about the Butcher Control for loose conditions...listed at 780grams. I'm sure it is a bit flimsy, but for light duty work up front, it's relatively light.

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
Nice! But I'm still not getting why the 2.6 Rekon and Forkaster are different in weight with the exact same iterations. Different thickness on casing I guess?
Dollars to donuts, I'd say it's the knobs. They're way more pronounced on the Forekaster than the Rekon, especially the side knobs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dollars to donuts, I'd say it's the knobs. They're way more pronounced on the Forekaster than the Rekon, especially the side knobs.
That makes sense. And I didnt realize there was that much of a difference...I was thinking the knobs were only 10% bigger and most of the difference was the spacing. But it sounds like the size difference is much greater than that...for which I'm glad!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am running a 2.6 forekaster on the front and a 2.6 Ardent race rear on my Pivot mach 5.5.
This is a snappy responsive and great climbing combo.

·
Got rocks?
823 Posts
Anyone’s forekaster measure out small? I just put one on and it measured 61mm on i35. Pumped up to 40 and gonna see how it looks in The morning but don’t see it growing to a full 2.6?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that didn’t take long. First ride, at least it’s holding air. Wasn’t that impressed other than it rolled fast.
Ha. Yeah...if you've got rocks, and sharp ones, I wouldn't think this tire would hold up out back. I presume you were running in back?

Also, were you running the Maxx Speed 120tpi? Cause the DC 60TPI would have more cut resistance. Otherwise, maybe try the Rekon 2.6 in the new Exo+...it's only 890g (claimed).

·
Got rocks?
823 Posts
Ha. Yeah...if you've got rocks, and sharp ones, I wouldn't think this tire would hold up out back. I presume you were running in back?

Also, were you running the Maxx Speed 120tpi? Cause the DC 60TPI would have more cut resistance. Otherwise, maybe try the Rekon 2.6 in the new Exo+...it's only 890g (claimed).
Yeah 3c, I had it laying around is the only reason I used it. Either a rekon or WTB trailboss will replace it most likely. I don’t think it will last much longer with that cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was thinking about going 2.6 Rekon front and 2.6 Forekaster rear. But some of you like the Forekaster better as a front?

This is for an Ibis Ripmo. It's currently on the stock 2.5 DHF / 2.5 Aggressor setup. I'd like to save some weight on the up and decrease some rolling resistance on the down.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I haven't had a chance to ride the 2.6 Forekaster, just the 2.35, but I would be really surprised if it doesn't have more grip on anything other than hard pack than the 2.6 Rekon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, maybe I'm thrown off by the cornering lugs. Aren't they more substantial and/or regularly placed on the Rekon?
No. They are larger and more widely spaced on the Forekaster 2.6, so better grip except for complete hardpack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No. They are larger and more widely spaced on the Forekaster 2.6, so better grip except for complete hardpack.

Also, on a Ripmo you probably want a 60 TPI casing for the rear. Maybe not, depending on where you ride, but the 120 is awfully thin. So, in the name of weight savings, you might want to go with the 2.4 Rekon out back, or something similar.

·
Got rocks?
823 Posts
I agree they 120tpi walls are thin. I had 4 rides on my 2.6 forekaster and slashed the sidewalk twice. Where as the rekons I never had that issue.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Loving my 2.6" Rekon on the front. Faster rolling than than the DHF, without sacrificing that much traction on my local trails.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts