Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally trying to decide on either the prophet 1000 or reign 1. I have now decided on the giant but am now trying to chose between the reign 1 or 2. The maestro range is about a week away from release in Australia. The ads in magazines spec the nixon elite fork for the reign 2 and state that it has SPV and rapid travel windown. On the manitou site there does not seem to be a nixon elite with spv. Is this fork available or have they made a typing mistake in the ad ? The actual photo in the ad shows a black coloured nixon fork with an SPV sticker on the side. Does any body have any answers to my queries. Also any views on the difference between the 1 and 2. Is it worth the extra $1400 aussie dollars ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
How much do you ride and is the $1600 (it's listed $1100 diff in the US) a lot of money too you? Personally I wouldn't spend the extra cash, I'd save the money and upgrade the R2 when parts broke/wore out. The biggest things I'm seeing different between the R2 and R1 is the fork R2 ELite, R1 Platinum. the rims you get crossmax's and the XT shifters and F derailer instead of LX - Personally these days I wouldn't fuss much for XT over LX. Disapointing thing is they both spec with the same BB and crankset, the R1 doesn't even have the better DEUS crankset like in the comparisson between the T1 and T2.

My advice go to some online shops and/or your LBS and get prices on the components and see how they add up and if it's worth it oo you for the amount and type of riding you do..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do a 2-3 hr ride each weekend, with the occasional midweek ride. I like to go pretty hard and hit as many jumps drops and logs as possible. Narrow fast flowing single track is a hoot. But I've also got to pedal back up hill to do it all again and again.
Aussie specs are rockshock pike team air fork on R1 and nixon elite ( with spv ?) on R2. I'm not sure if the spv is a typo. Also juicy 7 on R1 and hayes HFX-9 XC on R2. Is there much difference between these brakes ? Seat post is Next XC carbon on R1. Rims are mavic xm317 on R2.
That all said I ride a vt3 2004 at the moment so even the R2 is quite a big upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback, keen to hear more.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R2 has nixon elites with spv.

I've just answersed my own question. Today i finally got to see the reign 1 and 2 in the flesh. Wow. These bikes look hot. Much better than any of the photos I have seen so far. I checked out the forks on the R2 and yes they do have an spv sticker on the inside leg of the fork. Manitou nixon elites with spv ! I still can't find anything on the manitou site. Only the platinums seem to have spv. Could these be the 2006 version of the forks?

After having a short ride around the streets on these two bikes, I have definitely come to the conclusion that they kick some major ass over the cannondale prophet 1000, especially the R1. This bike accelerates like a Ferrari (probably the crossmax xl wheelset) and feels as solid as a rock, stiff at both ends, especially the Pike air forks.

I reckon I might fork out the cash for the R1 ! I just need to sweet talk the wife to access the required funds. I can just imagine the response, 'You want to spend how much money on a what ?, What about the kids school fees ?'

Wish me luck !

·
heckler and jekyll
154 Posts
sicwombat said:
I've just answersed my own question. Today i finally got to see the reign 1 and 2 in the flesh. Wow. These bikes look hot. Much better than any of the photos I have seen so far. I checked out the forks on the R2 and yes they do have an spv sticker on the inside leg of the fork. Manitou nixon elites with spv ! I still can't find anything on the manitou site. Only the platinums seem to have spv. Could these be the 2006 version of the forks?

After having a short ride around the streets on these two bikes, I have definitely come to the conclusion that they kick some major ass over the cannondale prophet 1000, especially the R1. This bike accelerates like a Ferrari (probably the crossmax xl wheelset) and feels as solid as a rock, stiff at both ends, especially the Pike air forks.

I reckon I might fork out the cash for the R1 ! I just need to sweet talk the wife to access the required funds. I can just imagine the response, 'You want to spend how much money on a what ?, What about the kids school fees ?'

Wish me luck !
you don't find it on the manitou site because the elite with spv is an OEM fork. not after market

i run a nixon super without IT myself, another OEM

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R2 is mine.

Thanks for the feed back. Thats what the guy in the shop said. He said if you order enough of something they will make it to your specs.
Couldnt convince the wife to hand over the $4300 aussie, so I ended up with the R2. Personally I couldnt justify the extra $1300 either. Havent had a chance to ride it yet, will let you know soon. One hot looking bike though !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice work!

sicwombat said:
Thanks for the feed back. Thats what the guy in the shop said. He said if you order enough of something they will make it to your specs.
Couldnt convince the wife to hand over the $4300 aussie, so I ended up with the R2. Personally I couldnt justify the extra $1300 either. Havent had a chance to ride it yet, will let you know soon. One hot looking bike though !
I agree, one hot looking bike, and great value for the money. I went for the same thing. I ordered a 20" R2 on Tuesday night, and was meant to pick it up Saturday morning, but I just couldn't wait. Called the bike shop and they built it up for me to pick up wednesday arvo. Only ridden it in the driveway so far (trying to set up the shocks). So I'll be hitting the trails tomorrow (saturday) morning, can't wait!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.