Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetically, how hard would it be to get a Reign X under 30 lbs? How much strength would have to be given up, and what would you use to do it? I'm thinking that once I get my new fork and shock on it, I can get down around 33 or so. Then put a lighter crank, and maybe have it around 32-32.5. How much would you have to do to hit that sub 30 lb mark? High end wheels? Tubeless? What would it take? Just curious.

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my thoughts too, but I can see it pretty easily done too. And without too much work. Mavic Crossmax SX, Fox 36 Float, DHX Air, tubeless, SLX crank... That'd probably put you close. You could get a good cassette and maybe put you in that neighborhood. My stock X1 in large was only like 36.5ish. I ride with a guy that wants to build his to be sub 30 if not below 28, but I think it'd be wussed out and cost so much that it would be ridiculous to want to ride it the way it's meant to be ridden.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It'd start getting pretty expensive, I feel like you might have to resort to XTR crank, X.0/XTR drivetrain, and some carbon which might not fit in with the reign X's purpose it was designed for.

Mine is around 32 lbs with xt crank, x.9 stuff, marz. ata 55 fork, dhx air, easton am havoc wheels and 2.3 tires. You really have to start counting grams if you want to get it down much lower than that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had my Reign X0 at 30.1 lbs with Roval Traversee wheels with Eskar tires, WTB pure v titanium railed saddle, XTR cassette, and Candy ti pedals. It would have been under 30 if I ran the tires tubeless as intended. It seemed pointless to build a superlight Reign, though, so I swapped it out for a Blur lt2- which is at about 27 pounds with the Reign's Fox float 36 fork.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.