Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I realize there's been a few threads on this but I was hoping to get a more specific answer for my riding.

I'm 6'0 with a 33" inseam and about 150 lbs and I'm stuck with the choice between a medium and large Reign X. My riding will be about 70% all-mountain and 30% lighter freeride/north-shore style trails on the Reign, lots of climbing with very little shuttling and occasional trips to Mammoth for park riding.

I've tried out a large Reign X and it felt really stable when turning and taking steep sections at speed, but I'm afraid once I start jumping or doing a lot of tight corners it'll feel too stretched out. I've seen that some other 5'11/6'0 people ride mediums which is making me doubt my choice of a large right now, so I was hoping I could get some opinions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention I actually ride a medium Marin hardtail right now, it feels cramped on climbs and on steep downhills I have to get way back over the rear tire to feel comfortable, but I'm not sure if that is mostly because it has a 70 degree head angle. The Marin's top tube is about .5" shorter than the med. Reign X's top tube, but I'm not sure if .5" will make any noticeable difference.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
based on your 70%AM/30%FRDH needs, the Large is most likely the right size.
I'm 5,8 with 31" inseam on a Med Reign X (with a 50mm stem I installed the first day I rode it DH), and do similar mix of riding. The only time I wish for a shorter bike is some slow techy riding, but at speed the stability is great - on a rough DH run I just center myself on the bike and point it where I want to go, no need to hang off the back. If you do technical FR (skinnies etc) and a lot of jumping you might prefer the Med though.

·
When in doubt- turn left
147 Posts
I'd say large. I'm 5'11", 175# and rode a large last year as an AM bike. I sold it though(too much bike) and am building up a Heckler that should match my use a little better. The X is a good solid bike that can take a serious beating and still pedal well. Enjoy.

T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.