Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys,
I have been riding my custom built 2010 Reign X for 3 months now and I'm having problems with the chain dropping from the mid size chainring to the granny. It happens when pedaling in the rough and the rear end is somewhat deep in its travel. The crankset is shimano's SLX Double(26 - 36 teeths). Chain is as short as it can be. I'm now running MRP's new 2X chain guide/tensionner(amazing piece of work) but I was having the same problem with a Blackspire stinger. Finally, the front derailleur is a Shimano LX (low clamp). As for everyone I think, the front derailler has to be mounted quite high in under to allow the lower linkage to move freely to full travel.

Any ideas of how I could fix that?

·
jddist
373 Posts
You might want to check Shimano's docs to make sure the LX front der is compatible with the SLX Double crank set up. I don't think the LX is compatible with a double setup, only the matching SLX. That is not to say it wouldn't work, in fact that is what I am running but I do notice it does not shift as crisp as my SLX/SLX combo. Check the model number stamped on the crank arm, I believe it will be either M660 or M665 depending on if it is a double or a triple. Also might be the rear end flexing under load that is the cause. Check the lower link to make sure it isn't cracked like others that have had problems.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Istvi, thanks for your input. The LX came from my 2008 Reign X which was spec with a double ring crankset. I was not experiencing chain drop with my previous frame. What I noticed is that the teeth of the slx's mid sized chain ring are pretty short. Would a ring with longer teeths hold the chain better? The crankset has only two months of riding on and I don't remember what the teeth looked like when it was new...

The link was looked over this weekend as I was regreasing all my pivot bearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.