Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reign vs Trance

I'm looking at getting a 2011 Reign 2 or a Trance 2.
My current bike is an old Reign with 6" of travel.
If I got a Trance with 5" of travel, would I really miss the extra inch?
Could some one give me a comparison of the Reign & a Trance with Fox shocks (Paging Scrublover)?

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Well...I'm assuming you mean Reign vs. Trance-X, yes?

Mine is a Reign-X model - setup way slacker than normal, and I've got no time at all on a regular Reign to compare to. Have only had it a short while.

Only had one very short ride today on my Trance-X so really can't give much info yet.

Either way, both are so completely non-stock, my input may be not much good.

You may not miss the travel, but the geometry of the two bikes is very different. IMO, if it was to be a one bike sort of thing, I'd go for the Reign. build it up heavy or light to suit your needs. Anything you dislike about your current Reign? What year?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Will depend mostly on the terrain and type of riding that you do, the Trance is more of a XC bike even thou it can take some punishment. The Reign is more of a AM maybe mini DH kind of bike so if you're into drops, jumps and some DH the Reign or Reign X is the bike you want.

Own a RX and have ridden the TX, like them both but each has its strengths and weaknesses. For example love the way my RX handles the rough stuff and the mild dh that I do but the Trance is easier to pedal, is lighter, flickable and climbs better IMO.

IMO a good happy medium will be a TX.

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
Just replaced much loved 06 Reign with RX, still have 10 TX with 130mm fork. Forget the travel difference; the Reign geometry is more suited to all-round than the TX. It's a great one-bike.

Caveat: if your riding group is lycra-clad than the Reign probably isn't your bike unless it's built light and you're fitter than them...

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caveat: if your riding group is lycra-clad than the Reign probably isn't your bike unless it's built light and you're fitter than them...
:lol: Light & Fit...the 2 things I am not :D
I think the 6" Reign hits every sweet spot for me.
I'd rather lug a few grams than be without that extra degree of cush.
Guess I'm off to the bike shop tomorrow, they said a Reign could be here by the end of next week. :thumbsup:

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a quick pic of my 2011 Reign, I didn't even have time to put air in her fork. :rolleyes:
I didn't get to swing a leg over her either.
This will be my 1st air fork, I cant wait to twiddle her knobs.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in South OC and most of my riding buddies have trance's and i ride a reign.. I'm abe to keep up with them on the up hills and kill them going down hill which is where the real fun is! no matter how you cut it up hill sucks but is necessary.. I think you chose wisely! Have fun with the Reign! I did also talk my brothers into buying reigns so they'll be picking them up in the next year..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.