Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
crumb
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can across a great deal on a brand new '06 Reign 16''. The problem is, im around 5'11''. I would be using it for freeride and the occasional sit-down trail ride. As far as I can tell from pictures, the only main variance in the different size frames is how high the seat tube (and consequently that triangle support thing) go, in which case it wouldn't effect me because i rarely sit down. if anybody could help me out with whether you think this would be and ok fit or not or could give me a link to the geometry for the '06's.
Id be riding it with a Pike that I have or buying a domain.
Thanks alot guys
Jim

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm about 5'7" and ride a 16" Trance. All I can tell you is that it's not comfortable with a sub 90mm stems for riding on the trails (like 1hr xc type rides with 70mm, 60mm or 40mm stems).
The reign you're looking at has a slacker HA, slightly shorter TT and longer wheelbase than my Trance.
I don't do freeride so hopefully someone else here will be able to advise you on size suitability for that.

·
crumb
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the thing is I can only get a 16'' brand new, I ride an 18'' weyless 67 right now and its a little bigger than i would like. anybody know the dimensions of my bike now in comparison. I think i can deal with the 16'' considering i ride trails about 15 times a season with my freeride bike.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
saviorself said:
the thing is I can only get a 16'' brand new, I ride an 18'' weyless 67 right now and its a little bigger than i would like. anybody know the dimensions of my bike now in comparison. I think i can deal with the 16'' considering i ride trails about 15 times a season with my freeride bike.
Well, one thing you can check, the sizing chart shows the 16" Reign has a 22" top tube (horizontal) which you can measure on your current bike and get an idea how they compare (since the TT is the most important frame measurement for sizing).

·
crumb
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fsrxc said:
Well, one thing you can check, the sizing chart shows the 16" Reign has a 22" top tube (horizontal) which you can measure on your current bike and get an idea how they compare (since the TT is the most important frame measurement for sizing).
So what i did was extent my seatpost at the angle its at until it came horizontal with my headtube. From the seatpost to the inside of the headtube was 22'' give or take .3.
so its about the same?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would not go by that chart...

saviorself said:
So what i did was extent my seatpost at the angle its at until it came horizontal with my headtube. From the seatpost to the inside of the headtube was 22'' give or take .3.
so its about the same?
I have a 15" Reign, and it measures 20.75" effective top tube, and a 43.5" wheelbase- not even close to what's on that chart. I am 5'-6" and it fits perfectly- I doubt a 16" would be okay for your height. No matter what the price, a bike that is too small or too big is not a good deal. Try wheelworld.com- there are still plenty of good deals, somewhere, in your size. Also, its CENTER of head tube (at the top of headset) to CENTER of seatpost, along a horizontal line ( level with ground, not necessarily the top tube).

·
illuminator82
251 Posts
generally speaking the more downhill type riding one does the shorter the top tube, as weight is rear biased, and the slacker the head tube angle. the more xc type riding one does, ie climbing, the longer the top tube and the steeper the head angle will be. of course it is all preference and if you descend more than you climb, a la shuttle, think downhill runs, you will appreciate a shorter top tube and slack head angle....

·
Registered
170 Posts
one thing you must bare in mind is that horizontal TT length is effected by the length of the fork, a longer fork slackens angles and will increase the horizontal measurement.

if you spend most of your time out of the saddle, its the distance between the bars and the bottom bracket that you should pay more attention to.

·
crumb
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Great Stonk said:
if you spend most of your time out of the saddle, its the distance between the bars and the bottom bracket that you should pay more attention to.
I was just n my other bike and thinking this exact same thing. Im thinking it will be fin since I cant really recall the last tim ei was in the saddle for more than 30min. ill also be running a pike for a while until I sell it and buy at domain which should slacken it. Thanks alot guys

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
saviorself said:
I was just n my other bike and thinking this exact same thing. Im thinking it will be fin since I cant really recall the last tim ei was in the saddle for more than 30min. ill also be running a pike for a while until I sell it and buy at domain which should slacken it. Thanks alot guys
Sure, the '06 Reign2 came with a Nixon (same a-c as Pike at ~518mm) and the Reign1 came with a Talas 36, which is 535mm a-c I think, so if you find it a bit steep with the Pike then a taller fork should work well, a 160mm Lyrik, Domain or Fox 36 maybe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.