Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Any idea if a 7.5 x 2.0 would work.

I am looking at a 2008 Reign and have a brand new 7.5 x 2.0 RP23, just thought I might be able to use it.

I think it would still have the same travel but perhaps slightly slacken the HA? Any idea if the shorter e2e would cause contact.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
rideitall said:
Any idea if a 7.5 x 2.0 would work.

I am looking at a 2008 Reign and have a brand new 7.5 x 2.0 RP23, just thought I might be able to use it.

I think it would still have the same travel but perhaps slightly slacken the HA? Any idea if the shorter e2e would cause contact.
Might work, but I wouldn't risk it. space between the lower link and front derailleur is already pretty minimal - I run a two ring setup on my bike and would love to run my front derailleur a bit lower but I can't because under full compression the lower link makes contact with the font derailleur. by running a shorter I<>I I can see that getting worst.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
rideitall said:
How do the two bikes compare. Have you got the Trance X customer spec'd like you did on the Reign.
they are pretty similar but the Reign geometry is better suited for aggressive riding. I have a Lyrik and bottom headset cup to make it as slack as possible, but it also makes the wheelbase a bit longer.

I had the Trance X setup for more aggressive trail riding, but since getting the Reign, I've mounted lighter wheels and a few other light components on it.

both pedal as good and the weight difference isn't that big.

Here is a pic of my trance and reign for comparison.

Trance X:

Reign

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Acadian

What kind of headset cup are you using. What is the added height.

Any idea what the head angle is with the Lyric at 160mm.

I am looking to setup a Reign I just picked up in a similar fashion. I have a 160mm fork, and might consider using the Real World Cycle headset externalizer. I think this adds about 10mm.

Once I get the frame I will first build it up with the stock ZS headset and see how it feels. If I have enough steerer tube on my fork I might try the extended bottom cup. I am picking up the 08 version so I will start at 69 degrees (140mm fork). I would guess using a 160mm fork will drop that to right around 68 degrees, another 1/2 degree slacker would be perfect. My fork has travel adjust so droping to lower than 160 for regular riding will not be a problem for any climbing.

Thanks for your info and feedback.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
On both the Reign and Trance X I use a reducer cup that allows for a regular 1 1/8th headset to be pressed in. I got mine here: http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=169&Name=Headset+Reducers it's the first in the list for Giant.

Like you mentioned, Enduro also makes a tall one that will fit in integrated headtubes.
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id183.html

on the trace my head angle is around 66.5 - pretty much spot on with that my Nomad is (or was once I sell it).

My Trance X is around 67.5 I think...

yes I like my bikes slack :)

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
the_one said:
Hi,

Can I install a Manitou rear shock in my reing?
Is the lower shock bush specific for giant?

Regards
The mounting hardware is specific for most bikes. If you get the right hardware, the Manitou would fit right in providing it is the same eye to eye and stroke length. Having said that, there are better options; the standard RP23 is a very good shock and, in OEM fitment, custom tuned specifically for the Reign. I swapped out my Manitou Swinger 3-Way for an OEM RP23 and haven't looked back, the ride is significantly improved.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Acadian said:
Might work, but I wouldn't risk it. space between the lower link and front derailleur is already pretty minimal - I run a two ring setup on my bike and would love to run my front derailleur a bit lower but I can't because under full compression the lower link makes contact with the font derailleur. by running a shorter I<>I I can see that getting worst.
Update, my Reign 1 is now pretty much complete. We have been dumped on with snow so I haven't been able to test ride as yet, but so far I am liking. The RP2 seems to work okay with the off/on setup. I am liking the bike with the stock setup in the back and 160 adjustable up front, yeilding about a 67.5 - 68 degree HA. I don't think I have enough steerer tube left for the external headset cup (15mm). The bike without any weigh reducing parts is 29.75lbs.

One last point. I just had to try the 7.5 x 2.5 RP23 shock on the bike. Mounted it up, cycled it through the travel only to find out it does hit the chain stay near bottom out. I was hoping that the front D could be adjusted and swung out a little further to miss the chainstay, but no go. Acadian, glad you mentioned the possible contact issue because the 7.5 x 2.0 looks good, until you cycle it right through the travel. I don't want to imagine the damage that would occur if I wouldn't have checked it out.

Cheers
J

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Haggis

Haggis said:
Manitou shock eye diameter is 12mm. Top end - 28.6mm alum bush/reducer length, 6mm bolt. Bottom end is an 8mm bolt with stainless through axle and I haven't checked the length...
Thanks Haggis -

I called Giant and they indicated that the Upper was like you say 28.6mm - 6mm hardware and the lower was 40mm - 8mm hardware.

My question is "WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?".....how can I go about getting the right mounting hardware?

I see kits online that just say "Manitou 8-40mm" or "Manitou 6-28.6mm"....if I order those two kits will I actually have the right parts? Will I actually have everything I need? These kits do not really show pictures or explain what is included.

I think I need thru hole rods, spacers, and bushings from disassembling my current shock.

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
I like the thru-axle setup much more than the alloy reducer bushes that wear out after a couple of DU bush changes.

Either get the BETD kit or alternatively you could order an OEM 6mm thru-axle from Bike Wagon and cut it down to 28.6mm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.