Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tá mé ar meisce.
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been asked before but the search brought up way to many threads.

I am getting real close to taking advantage of the 06 closeouts. I think I have narrowd my choice down to the Reign and the Trance. Also considering a Heckler. I just cannot decide what fits me best.

6"3" 240 LBS. I ride in florida. Lots of singletrack. Rooty, rocky and sandy. I like to climb so I need a good climber. I don't ever see myself doing more than a 2' drop. I ride 3x time a week for 3-4 hours at a time so I would like the bike to be comfortable for extended periods of time. I see myself doing longer rides in the future. Handling and comfort are my biggest concerns.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
951 Posts
It really depends on the year. The '07 bikes are pretty different - just from the looks of them. The '05 bikes were a lot closer, I think. I had a Trance, and have a Reign now, and I found their XC characteristics to be about the same - pedal well, climb well (though the Trance turned a bit better). The difference was in their downhill characteristics - I found the Reign to be much more plush (obviously), but also more sturdy and...well, funner.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
240 lbs would let me suggest the Reign, even if you're doing nothing more than 2' drops, but I've talked to a few people now that are your size and have a Trance and love it. I also have a 33-lb 6" travel dualie similar to the Reign, and I climb fine (though only for the first hour). Of course I'm only 150 lbs, so maybe it's easier for me to climb.

I just got a closeout '06 Trance 2 as well and the price couldn't be beat! I didn't even have to hanggle -- Giant sent out the closeout orders so the shops are quick to release them all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would say a trance. 2 foot drops can easily be handled by the trance, and since it uses a front shock thats 1-2 inches shorter than reign's, you will find climbing much easier. the heckler is a bike simple to maintain, but its a single pivot which makes pedaling and climbing more difficult compared to trance/reign.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Gona have to e-mail the shop I got my '05 Trance from and see if this applies to the Anthems as well :D You didn't happen to find out this info, did you ? Love my '05 Trance and have no wish of upgrading to an '06 or '07, but would love to add a Dedicated Race bike to my stable.

NJ-XC-Justin said:
I just got a closeout '06 Trance 2 as well and the price couldn't be beat! I didn't even have to hanggle -- Giant sent out the closeout orders so the shops are quick to release them all.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Having just come from almost 8 years on a single pivot bike, the biggest difference was not in climbing efficiency. Platform shocks have made single pivots into decent climbers. That said, I do run much less pressure in the SPV on my Reign than my old single pivot and this does make it even more pleasant on the climbs.

I'm a couple inches taller and about 35lbs heavier (than the OP) and I'm really surprised at how much less air pressure I am running in the rear shock given that the leverage ratios were not that different (3.0 on the Reign vs. 3.15 on the Super V). I used to run 280psi to 300 psi in the main air spring and now I am running less than 200 psi (around 180psi to 190psi) and I have been running the minimal SPV pressure where I used to max it out at 175psi.

Still, the biggest difference to me is that the rear suspension remains so active when under braking forces instead of stiffening to the point where it feels almost rigid in comparison to the Reign's Maestro design.

On the other hand, my biggest concern with the Maestro design is long term durability. With so many linkage points, it would seem to be more vulnerable to long term wear and tear. Only time will tell.

Between, the Reign and the Trance, I guess it depends on what is important to you. They are both good climbers and descenders with similar suspension designs. If you want the better climber, the Trance would be the choice and if you want the better descender, then choose the Reign.

How this translates from SoCal terrain to Florida terrain, I have no idea since they are as different as could be in that respect.

PS: To me, given the info so far, I'd say Trance, but you really should ride them all including the Heckler and others, preferably on the trails as this is where you'll notice the difference. Get the one YOU like best because it's the one you'll ride the most.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Even though I am smaller than you by a bit (6'1" and 170 lbs), I was in a similar situation Heckler, Enduro, or Reign. It came down to ridability, meaning ups and downs. Without a doubt the Reign can pedal. It literally eats up rooty climbs. They are nearly eaqual on the downhills, until you put on the brakes. Then the Reign wins again, by not locking out the suspension. Throw in the Wheel World deal I got and they would have taken me to the funny farm if I didn't get the Reign. As a big guy you are probably not counting grams. The Trance is only a couple of pounds lighter, if that. Go for the extra two inches of travel. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use to live in Fort Walton Beach FL, but now live in Utah. I have a Reign2 here in Utah, LOVE IT! But, for Florida riding I'd have to say the Trance, it'll climb easier and less tiring on the longer rides since it's about 4-5lbs lighter. I don't see why you'd want a 6" bike in Florida...overkill. There are times when I go on long rides here with XC guys where I'm wishing I was on a Trance instead of my Reign.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Trance

I just built up an '07 Trance frame and it is quite adequate for the ridding I do in north west NJ, PA, New England and our riding probably has a lot more rocks, drops, climbs, etc. than what you plan to ride. The 4.2" on the Trance are plenty and the bike climbs very well and is tons of fun in tight singletrack. I find I can now make switchbacks turns that used to stop me dead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts