Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm interested in buying a Reign. However, I ride in CT and we have a lot of technical rock garden, tree root, boulder, fallen tree, log pile riding. Needless to say a chain ring bash guard gets a good workout here (Especially hitting fallen trees from the side). With the Reign having that radical “S” shaped downtube, I'm worried I’ll quickly trash the frame at that bottom protruding curve in front of the shock mount. I’m looking for feedback from other riders to know if this is a problem or not.

I’m also thinking you could cut up an old bike tire and zip tie it to that area of the tube. Maybe get ahold of some of that fiberglass material that Doctors set broken bones with and just mold a homemade skid plate/bash guard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking of. To bad it is being sold in the UK and I'm in the US. Should be easy to make.

I did get a new Reign. Was looking for a new 2011 Reign1, but ended up getting a new 2010 Reign2. Since the new 2011 are out, I got it soo cheap. Paid the same price that I see guys are paying for new stripped down frames!

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
I like mud
290 Posts
I get those hits on my Reign 1. It's not good enough reason not to buy the bike though!

I put a tube on there once when riding in a really rocky area but it looked cheesy.

I also emailed the UK guy doing the CF guard, but he said he hadn't made them yet for the 2011, though that was about 2 months ago...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just bought one from the guy on ebay, I bought it for my 2011 reign2. He said this is for the 2011. I dont know how long it will take it to get to me but when I get it I will show you some pics.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is the carbon fiber protector you get from the seller on ebay. It only took a week and a half to get to me so not bad on the shipping. I was on vaction thats why it has taken so long to get photos. All in all its pretty good looking and I am sure it will do its job. I can not see a rock going through that and then denting the down tube. I had some extra clear bra so I stuck some of that on before I installed the protector. I didn't want that thing scratching my new bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much extra was the international freight? Did you still buy it from the seller through ebay or work out a private sale?

I've gone out for 2 rides now. One of the rides has a lot of fallen tree/log piles to ride over. For this type of riding, I will definitely need to protect the down tube. I initially just cut part of and old tire and zip-tied it to the frame. However, when I hit the log and the front forks compressed the bottom of the tube just hits...well more like skids across the logs. The rubber tire grabs the logs too much. The carbon fiber guard would slide over nicely like a rock ring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.