Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a reign with a DHX AIR 4. I don't like the shock. It bobs a lot even in propedal. In PP it has poor small bump compliance and when PP is off then it blows through travel.
Yesterday I have ridden my friends 4inch travel Cube with a Radium. Much better shock. Much more controlled and zero bob, massive difference in acceleration (and my bike has lighter wheels). My question are:
- Is there a way to increase pro pedal and compression dampening on DHX ?
- What mounting hardware do I need to put a manitou shock on a reign ?
- What about Monarch ? Should I use low or high volume ? What tune ? Can I use my current mounting hardware with Monarch ?

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
DHX air sucks on a Reign in my experience. Mine is relegated to "backup shock" now. I have an inexpensive Fox Van-R coil on it. WAY better. I demo'd a RS Monarch last fall. It also was WAY better than the DHX-4 that came with the bike. Monarch was *not* as nice when pointed down as the Van-R.

I'm pretty sure the mounting hardware for the DHX & Monarch is the same. But don't quote me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't need high speed performance of a coil and I like air adjustability. Current DHX AIR is still way better on downhills than my 32 140mm FIT TALAS. I also need a platform as we have vary steep climbs around here. PP seems way to weak for climbing when you need to push really hard even in a granny gear to be able to forward (and up ;) ). I like the idea that Monarch have adjustable platform. A few years ago I had a Manitou Swinger 3 way (the first version) and it was a great shock (but reliability was very poor).

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't need high speed performance of a coil and I like air adjustability. Current DHX AIR is still way better on downhills than my 32 140mm FIT TALAS. I also need a platform as we have vary steep climbs around here. PP seems way to weak for climbing when you need to push really hard even in a granny gear to be able to forward (and up ;) ). I like the idea that Monarch have adjustable platform. A few years ago I had a Manitou Swinger 3 way (the first version) and it was a great shock (but reliability was very poor).
With your requirements I'd definitely try a Monarch. It was *nearly* as nice as my coil going down while being better from a "platform" perspective on the way up. And don't worry... we have some heinously steep climbs around here so I know how that goes.

Oh - and if you get a coil you'll suddenly appreciate the "high speed performance" :ihih:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you remember what exact Monarch did you try ? High or low volume ? What tune ? I'm thinking that low volume might be better for me.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Have to concur, Fox does a good job of pushing these shocks on manufacturers as "decent', but I'm taking ti ti's the price that's decent :skep: Have a DHXA 5 and yeah, it's nothing close to special and the PP lever only firms it up slightly. If you're looking at a new shock and want air, I'd highly recommend you take a look at the offerings from X-Fusion, get great reviews and a lot cheaper than Fox. I'm personally looking at the 02 RLX as the replacement for my DHXA since I don't do any drops/jumps really over a few feet. The Vector air is a really nice piggyback shock and it has High and Low speed compression adjustment, but it's twice the weight and almost same for price of the 02.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts