Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an R3 for about a year now and I recently got my chain stuck twice between the granny and the frame, actually it was stuck beneath the shock link, so I had to unchain the chain to get it out. After the first time I had my bike at the shop have them tune the derailur and replaced the chain (since I took out to many links). now it happened again after two rides while I was riding with not stress on the chain.
Is there any way to prevent the chain from slipping past the small ring?
I know there are several props out there to do just that but I'm not sure they will fit in the Reign frame/derailur set up.

any ideas?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
i dunno - set your low limit screw as much as you can, but not so much that it won't shift into tyour granny?

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
i dunno - set your low limit screw as much as you can, but not so much that it won't shift into tyour granny?
Bingo, that's a good place to start. Put your chain in granny up front and the big cog on your cassette and set your inner limit screw so it's barely off the chain. That should help keep it from slipping off your granny ring. It sounds like your LBS already adjusted it, but take a look at it in this setting and see if you need to move it out further.

The other option is the AJ's frame protector which keeps the chain from getting stuck in that space between the granny and the frame.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
from what i've read, the AJ's frame guard doesn't fit the reign? i tried running a blackspire stinger chain tensioner, but its not exactly dialed in yet. i took it out last weekend for some downhill race practice, but only got 2 runs in before i busted my ankle. Chad should be able to chime in with a better report on the stinger

·
Registered
326 Posts
tkblazer said:
from what i've read, the AJ's frame guard doesn't fit the reign? i tried running a blackspire stinger chain tensioner, but its not exactly dialed in yet. i took it out last weekend for some downhill race practice, but only got 2 runs in before i busted my ankle. Chad should be able to chime in with a better report on the stinger
from what I experienced chain suck happens when you remove links from your chain and the connection is too tight,or your chain is too long, your front derailluer is not dialed in properly. If the problem still occurs at the same time you hate the sound of the chain slapping your chain stay while bombing downhill :D use a chain tensioner. Blackspire stinger works really good with the Reign and easy to install also it acts as a frame guide since the arm plate is big enough to catch the chain preventing it from getting caught in between the frame and the chainring.

·
Registered
797 Posts
best bet is to correctly adjust the FD,

but I have still had it drop in there on rare occasion, usually when downshifting to the granny very quickly.I use gripshift, so now I downshift very deliberately, but not quickly- seems to help.Also, I use a SRAM chain with the snap link- if the chain falls in you can disconnect the chain, and feed it out without having to deal with the lower link. Then just reassemble the chain and be on your way.

·
May contain nuts
2,441 Posts
GiantCHaDSTeR said:
Blackspire stinger works really good with the Reign and easy to install also it acts as a frame guide since the arm plate is big enough to catch the chain preventing it from getting caught in between the frame and the chainring.
Interested in one of these. Does it quiet down the usual chain slap completely? Much drag or compromised front shifting?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Haggis said:
Interested in one of these. Does it quiet down the usual chain slap completely? Much drag or compromised front shifting?
Haggis,

It does quiet down the usual chain slap when riding downhill, front shifting is still the same, I didn't feel a drag after installing the Stinger unless you over tighten the rollers.

·
May contain nuts
2,441 Posts
GiantCHaDSTeR said:
Haggis,

It does quiet down the usual chain slap when riding downhill, front shifting is still the same, I didn't feel a drag after installing the Stinger unless you over tighten the rollers.
Sounds ideal. I'm thinking a 34T middle ring... Are you guys still running the long-cage derailleur?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.