Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas

i am currently in the process of buying my first dual suspension bike and after a bit of research i have decided on the giant reign 2 2011.
basically i just wanted to know if there are any other bikes i should consider or if there is anything about the bike i should know before purchasing,

i read that the rear shock was very easy to bottom out, but was unsure if that was just from some insane riding, also was unsure if it was this model but i read that the front forks are a little sticky,

just wanted some thoughts from you guys

Cheers
Twiitch

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is probably the best bang for your buck, the closest bike to that would be a Specialized Pitch Pro, but the biggest thing that stands out to me is it has a a RS Sektor compared to a Fox R32 fork, and the rear shock is the same. I'd go with the Giant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The pitch does look nice but when I was looking the lack of a tapered head tube was a deal breaker.

Twitch have you considered a Santa Cruz Butcher Those are getting great reviews. Or a ReignX .

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you buy the Reign 2 you may want to change out the air sleeve on the RP2 from XV to normal. From what I understand the xtra volume air sleeve has too much compliance. This part isn't too expensive and can be purchased from Fox for $40. They talk about this issue in the Reign 1 thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=648839&page=2

Then there is the ghetto solution which would be a homemade shim:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=503070

The homemade shim is cheapest solution and shouldn't cost your more than two dollars ,however it does appear to be effective.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just out of curiosity as im only fairly new to all this stuff, a tapered head tube is that where the forks join up to the frame, and what would be the benefit of a tapered head tube in which way does it effect the bike ?

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,747 Posts
Twiitch said:
Just out of curiosity as im only fairly new to all this stuff, a tapered head tube is that where the forks join up to the frame, and what would be the benefit of a tapered head tube in which way does it effect the bike ?
Tapered front ends for AM bikes make a ton of sense.

The steer tube on the fork is a full 1.5 inch thickness at the crown. If you have more than 140mm of travel, you get a huge stiffness benefit, while still being able to run a 1 1/8 stem at the top of the steerer... Giants use a 56mm flush mount headset at the bottom of the headtube for the cleanest (IMO) look.

If you're looking at bikes in the 140-160mm travel range, make sure it's using a tapered headtube/steerer...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im very keen for the reign 2 think i might go to my LBS and start organizing it in the next couple of days, i am absolutely craving to take it for a ride :)

what do you guys think if you were to upgrade something on the bike what would be the very first thing you guys would change

1 - 7 of 7 Posts