Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these? I picked one up yesterday, waiting for my new tires to come in to try them out.

I always have had a terrible time with tubes, usually I have to replace one or both every other month or so, and that is after I've patched it quite a few times. Not sure what I have in there now, as the shop put them in and I was stupid enough not to ask what brand they were, they do say CSI or something one the side. Anyway, I have yet to find a favorite tube, and at this point being in school going tubeless I think is out of my budget.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The REI tubes I have bought were made by Kenda - and say so on the tube. If yours have CST on them they are made by the parent company of Maxxis.

I just avoid tubes made in China. They have torn easily for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm just getting into mountain biking, and I just had my first flat last weekend on my new Giant Iguana. What should I look for in a tube to get something that will handle what I throw at it on the trail and not make me end up with a flat again right away? Will any old tube from a bike shop do, or do I need to get something in particular?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thestarsfan9 said:
I'm just getting into mountain biking, and I just had my first flat last weekend on my new Giant Iguana. What should I look for in a tube to get something that will handle what I throw at it on the trail and not make me end up with a flat again right away? Will any old tube from a bike shop do, or do I need to get something in particular?
Get something that fits the tire, obviously...My tires are 26x2.10. make sure the tube is the same, I run 26x1.96-2.10. I hear good things about Slime tubes. As previously stated REI tubes are made by Kenda, Kenda is a top tire (imo), I'll report how the handle my riding style soon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah, REI tubes are the only ones i run just because there cheap and i'v never had a problem with them. I cant remember the last time i had a flat acutally, it probubly has been 6 months and i ride a few times a week on average.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find Perfomance tubes....

to be superior in quality and price. I've tried just about every tube avaliable and have been very happy with Performance. The presta valve is extra long for aero rims which others make you pay extra. You can get Performance tubes in various thickness (thickness of rubber) and widths. These tubes are as low as $2 on sale and with membership discounts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's actually one of my pet peeves with Performance tubes. Why don't they offer standard valve lengths? I don't need an extra 15mm (or whatever) length of valve sticking out of my rims. I can understand if this was done on the road tubes, but their mountain tubes also have the long valve stems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My pet peeve is too short valve stems

Shimano rims have an aero profile even on the mtn. bike wheelset. Most tubes have stems that do not allow me to capture the stem with a pump head.

Another pet peeve are stems with no threads!:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried Richey Lightweight Buytl 26 x 1.6-2.0 tubes from REI. I had a major blowout along a tube seam within weeks. They were in a 1.75 inch Panaracer T-Serv tire with 65 psi. I noticed that they were made in China.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.