Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The shell has been done for a while, so they're probably fitting it out right now. It's amazing how quick they put it up.

Peace Surplus, Babbit's, and all the other overpriced mom n pop places are probably sh*tting themselves. Adapt or die.

·
Dirt, Sweat and Gears
186 Posts
The shell has been done for a while, so they're probably fitting it out right now. It's amazing how quick they put it up.

Peace Surplus, Babbit's, and all the other overpriced mom n pop places are probably sh*tting themselves. Adapt or die.
The junk at the REI in Tucson is pretty expensive compared to some other places, or evenly priced in some cases. Those mom and pops up there must be really expensive.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The junk at the REI in Tucson is pretty expensive compared to some other places, or evenly priced in some cases. Those mom and pops up there must be really expensive.
Everything is Flagstaff comes with the "Fu*k you! Pay more!" surcharge. REI isn't really a price competitive store, they never set out to be. REI sells service. I still have a year to return anything that I simply don't like, and if it actually fails, I can return it any time. Plus there's the 10% rebate. I look at it as getting the sales tax back.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like REI for buying things that have a risk of failing/breaking. They have a remarkable return policy... Also, they have great hours too. if you need an item on Sunday or late hours, you have that option.

The bike shops in Phoenix don't seem to have a problem with REI being around... We'll see about Flag

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Everything is Flagstaff comes with the "Fu*k you! Pay more!" surcharge. REI isn't really a price competitive store, they never set out to be. REI sells service. I still have a year to return anything that I simply don't like, and if it actually fails, I can return it any time. Plus there's the 10% rebate. I look at it as getting the sales tax back.
You really are not a Flagstaff local are you? Try shopping at Aspen Sports. They'll give you 10% off when you walk in the door. If anything, try supporting a local business unless it's beneath you.

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
so by "adapt or die" do you mean, take a super slim margin business and make it even more slim? do you think the owners of the local gear/bike stores in flag are living like kings? its not some big money business unless you start expanding.

most big manufacturers in the outdoor retail biz have price minimums for a set time period anyway (n.face, marmot, arcteryx, mtn hardware, or, etc) that are set in the contracts they cut with the retailers, including rei.

the only reason i will be hitting that rei is try on gear so i know what size to pro-deal elsewhere. they are good for that with a generally big stock on hand.

i have nothing against rei in general but i see little to no point in having one in flagstaff. i will happily shop locally and spend a bit more... saving $10-$30 on a $300-500 item or $5 on a $80 item isnt really that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. id rather put my money in the pockets of a local business owner than rei... but thats just me.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
I like REI for buying things that have a risk of failing/breaking. They have a remarkable return policy... Also, they have great hours too. if you need an item on Sunday or late hours, you have that option.

The bike shops in Phoenix don't seem to have a problem with REI being around... We'll see about Flag
REI's selection of bike goods is really not comparable with a good shop. Their stock of parts, tires etc is akin to Performance. Yes they have stuff in a pinch and good hours, but its not an interesting or high end selection. They've got a decent clothes selection, but its pricey. Bike selection is limited, and while they do have mechs you don't get a connection to the REI bike team like you would in a small store. In that regard, I really don't see them as competition for the LBS. So this is not a good comparison.

I dont know about the Flag outdoors stores and if REI will really challenge them or not. REI is certainly not for the price-sensitive shopper. So what is their angle going to be? Safe to assume most outdoors stores in Flag that are specialty or high-end have quality employees and dedicated local followings.

·
The Original Suspect
2,387 Posts
REI is good for most communities. Their stewardship programs along with money they spend in every community they are apart of is unlike most businesses. REI is not just a what most of you think as a high priced "junk" store. Not only do they partner with some of the biggest names in outdoor products and have exclusive products from companies like The North Face, Marmot, Mammut just to name a few.

Granted they're on floor selection of bikes is mid to low end, but anything in the lines they sell can be special ordered...so yes you can get a carbon Trigger with XX1 at REI and still get your dividend on it. Not to mention that I'd put their wrenches up there with any shop.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
REI is good for most communities. Their stewardship programs along with money they spend in every community they are apart of is unlike most businesses. REI is not just a what most of you think as a high priced "junk" store. Not only do they partner with some of the biggest names in outdoor products and have exclusive products from companies like The North Face, Marmot, Mammut just to name a few.

Granted they're on floor selection of bikes is mid to low end, but anything in the lines they sell can be special ordered...so yes you can get a carbon Trigger with XX1 at REI and still get your dividend on it. Not to mention that I'd put their wrenches up there with any shop.
And, they'll take back hammerfvcked products I decide didn't last long enough for my money and taste. Not to mention the copious milf action they have going on.

·
The Original Suspect
2,387 Posts
It's not about whether it's currently there or not. My point is that REI is not a bad thing for a community. They support every local community they are in.

Yes, you can find almost everything in REI cheaper somewhere else. But try buying a pair of hiking boots or climbing shoes somewhere else, use them for a month and try and return them for whatever reason...good luck!

·
The Original Suspect
2,387 Posts
all that is available currently in flag...no? Do we really need another store carrying more North Face products?

There wrenches are mediocre at best and they charge you for everything little thing done on a bike....not to mention they are not down with the "green discount" Will not be getting my business.
You speak as if you live in Flag which we all know you don't from a previous thread where you blasted someone from Tucson saying that you live in Phoenix.

·
The Original Suspect
2,387 Posts
Im not some douche that buys something, uses it and then thinks its ok to return and get a refund....wtf is wrong with people?
Yes, that's a DB thing to do. One of the reasons REI changed their return policy last year. Not what my point is though. I am saying is that at REI you can buy with confidence that if you spend $200 bucks on a pair of hiking boots and you hike the Canyon and find that they really fit like **** in the real world. You can take them back and get a different pair or your money back. Nothing DB about that!

Not too many retailers out there that stand by their products like that.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
It's not about whether it's currently there or not. My point is that Walmart is not a bad thing for a community. They support every local community they are in.

Yes, you can find almost everything in Walmart cheaper somewhere else. But try buying a LED TV or bulk underware somewhere else, use them for a month and try and return them for whatever reason...good luck!
Fixed it for you.

While on the surface, places like REI, Walmart, Target, etc. bring money to a community, they eventually will be the end for almost every mom and pop retail shop. Mark my word.

(P.S. I'm not even saying that's a good or bad thing. It's just a fact.)

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.