Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to buy a P7 from deal extreme to supplement my TR-801,and I am debating if it is worth the extra money to get a regulated light. My basic understanding is a regulated light will give off the same brightness as the battery dies down, whereas a non-regulated light will start out brighter and slowly get dimmer as the battery dies.

Anybody get a non-regulated light and wish they had gone for the regulated?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yes,

Doesn't work that bad, but the experience is like the old halogen setups. Starts off really bright, but can dim much quicker than the halogen, due to heat build up pushing the diode in to thermal run away. Never had burned one up, but they obviously dim within 15 to 20 minutes to below my regulated LED's output. I am pushing them with a 3 cell 3.7 Lion battery. So the fuel tank is plenty big. They just fall off from the heat I think.
The cheap p7 MCE regulator that kaidomain sells is very good and has 3 power settings.
I have been using these in my P7 lights with no problems.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Rock Climber said:
Getting ready to buy a P7 from deal extreme to supplement my TR-801,and I am debating if it is worth the extra money to get a regulated light. My basic understanding is a regulated light will give off the same brightness as the battery dies down, whereas a non-regulated light will start out brighter and slowly get dimmer as the battery dies.

Anybody get a non-regulated light and wish they had gone for the regulated?
I own a non-reg. MTE P-7 torch and have been very happy with it, however I've often thought that I'd be willing to trade off some of that initial brightness for some added run time. Basically I get a nice bright swath of light for about 50-60min before the light begins to slowly fade. After about 1.5hr the output is in the 200lm range. If they sold a P-7 torch that was regulated that had a regulated mode in the 400-450lm range and could hold that output for say, 1.5hr I think I would rather have the regulated. I'm not sure though if any of the mult-mode torches have a mode that would suit my needs. Sooner or later though I will probably have to give one a try. When I do it will most likely be a five mode torch. This torch has caught my attention though > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18857
Output regulated to 430lm ~ 2hr. run time ( per ad ). People who bought this torch have said the beam pattern is a flood...perfect for handlebar use. I just might have to pull the trigger on this one as I like the color rendition of the MC-E's better than the P-7. Still, a lot of people are happy with their mult-mode (regulated) P-7 torches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.