Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
I’ve been a goofyfoot surfer for 40 years but never knew the term applied to mountain biking.

I’ll have to try to take note on my next ride which way I do it on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
same.... never actively thought about it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
same.... never actively thought about it.
I went out today and tried to see if I could tell. Coasting downhill, I have left foot forward mostly. Through turns, usually my outside foot is down and my inside foot is up.

In conclusion, I still don’t know the difference between goofy, regular, or switch on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pro Crastinator
11,057 Posts
i generally switch which foot is in front about every 20 seconds. it started many years ago from getting smoked legs from downhilling in the same position. i've always switched forward feet for turns, but it took a good while to be comfortable letting myself takeoff and land with the opposite foot forward...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i generally switch which foot is in front about every 20 seconds. it started many years ago from getting smoked legs from downhilling in the same position. i've always switched forward feet for turns, but it took a good while to be comfortable letting myself takeoff and land with the opposite foot forward...
That's my white whale me thinks...

Shouldn't have trouble hitting a medium sized drop w/ right foot forward (famous last words).

I can't imagine sending a reasonable sized huck w/ left foot back though

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Pro Crastinator
11,057 Posts
yeah, it took about a steady year of jumping before i was comfortable enough pulling up off a lip switch footed, to where it came natural and i didn't really feel nervous about it or have to mentally prepare. riding out off the end of drops was much easier...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spent about a year practicing opposite foot forward (non-chocolate foot) and eventually got used to it enough to be close to ambidextrous in this regard. It’s definitely advantageous to comfortable use either foot forward depending on your situation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always mount and dismount left foot forward. (doing the swing-the-right-leg-over-the-saddle thing) I badly injured my left knee in the mid-90s. (lesson: never let anyone talk you into a trail ride when you're not even in the mood to leave the house) Fell on a steep climb, after hitting a wet root, on my cross bike and twisted the knee so far it was like, "Wow! I didn't know it could bend that way!" After months of physio I finally had to go for arthroscopy. Even after all that, I still can't teach myself to reverse my habits and lead with my right foot. Every time I try I just fall or wipe out spectacularly. Maybe, eventually a brain injury will result and correct everything. In the meantime, I've had to swear off clipless pedals and go back to toeclips. I still suffer knee pain as a result, (I'm currently doing food delivery for a living) and I'm sure that reversing to the other foot is the clear answer but, I still can't teach myself to do it. I sincerely wish the OP good luck in trying to reverse feet. I wish I could.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've been alternating my stance on every bunnyhop practice session. I feel it can only be advantageous.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Out for a spin tonight...

Rode righty in moderately technical trails no issue.

But, steep & technical or fast & technical, going righty just felt, off, weird, sketchy.

Maybe I'll keep right forward on all but the gnarliest bits... that way it's rested for when things get janky.

I did feel some pain during last 5 mins of ride.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
I tested this on Tuesday when doing a gentle ride with my kids. when coasting on a flat trail or a gentle downslope where i can sit in the saddle I tend to put my right foot UP and my left foot DOWN.... but this is on a flat fire road, no rocks or roots to clip.

I purposely started standing and my right foot naturally went forward and if I changed to left foot forward it felt uncomfortable.

I ride Goofy on skate n snowboards, so I guess this is the natural position for goofy on a bike?

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,680 Posts
I used to be left-foot dominant (forward?), I'm left handed. I realized I could RAIL left turns, and was confident with left-handed nose-pivots but was way more mediocre on right turns.
So, I worked really really hard about 2 summers ago to make my 'non-dominant" right foot feel good forward, and not only did my cornering improve, but so did my overall ability because I was never caught on my "non-dominant foot".
It was probably the best "skill" I've taught myself since learning to wheelie as a kid.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue. We all settle on a dominant stance but it's not like board sports. I'm regular for surf/snow, goofy for mtb. I personally dont' think we should use that terminology because stance is so different on a bike. It's not that abnormal for people to be "goofy" on bikes even when normal on boards because most are stronger on their right side so right forward often feels best when we are learning and weak. Because we don't work the back leg like we do for board sports, it's just not important which foot is in the back. All that's needed to prove this is to ride switch on boards vs bikes. One requires advanced skills, the other is just awkward. That awkwardness will go away for anyone determined to change their stance. I used to wonder if I would be a better rider if I matched my board stance on the bike but then I thought about how the front foot on a bike is dominant like the rear is for board sports. For that reason you could say it makes sense why so many end up with opposite stances. I'm sure facing forward vs sideways plays a bigger role here but I think there's something to your dominant rear foot on boards playing well up front on bikes. Anyway, for your situation none of this matters. If changing stances helps your body it will be worth pushing through the awkwardness. I would be curious to hear how long it takes to get back to 100%.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts