Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any SPV I guess

Jus for kicks my bud slapped a Sherman Breakout on it...rode like a beauty, if a bit heavy. But imho Sermans are overkills for this bike. May be a Minute or something...anything with SPV should compliment the rear end nicely.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
own154 said:
can't you run a regular fork on a prophet if you use a headset reducer?
Cane Creek makes a headset that is specced on several Gemini models and many 1.5 bikes, It allows you to run a 11/8" fork in a 1.5" frame with no reducers, why run extra crap, that makes for extra expense and potential squeaking, if you don't have to!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have also a Sherman Breakout (152/132 mm travel) in my Prophet. I really like it. I asked if this is ok from Cannondale and the C'dale Tech Support guy told me "it sounds like it should work fine". He also told me that most of the questions they get are from people who want to change a lower travel fork and they discourage this because it steepens the angles. IMHO Breakout is not overkill if you just don't abuse the frame. I have ridden just quite a short rides but it feels good. It is not too slack even in the FR geometry setting when there is 25-30 % sag on the rear shock. Anything more travel than Breakout has is surely overkill, I would not install a Breakout Plus in this frame.

Robotfood99, please could your bud post a picture of his Prophet here?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey there caizu, when i said Shermans were overkills, i meant that from a weight-weeny pov. :) I know Prophet rides like butta with the Sherman, a little unbalanced but not unacceptable...looks a bit outta place with all other parts being XC-ish though. Now, like Cedric, if u set the whole package up for more FR/light DH duties I dont see why the hell not.

In fact I am thinking of buying the Prohpet 600 and changing the fork to the Sherman myself..and swap out a lot of parts to a more heavy duty set. I could always slap the parts off of 600 on my aging HT. Or should I jusy build from the frame up. :D

Not sure if my non-English speaking friend can navigate this site to post the pic but I sent him the link anyway.

caizu said:
I have also a Sherman Breakout (152/132 mm travel) in my Prophet. I really like it. I asked if this is ok from Cannondale and the C'dale Tech Support guy told me "it sounds like it should work fine". He also told me that most of the questions they get are from people who want to change a lower travel fork and they discourage this because it steepens the angles. IMHO Breakout is not overkill if you just don't abuse the frame. I have ridden just quite a short rides but it feels good. It is not too slack even in the FR geometry setting when there is 25-30 % sag on the rear shock. Anything more travel than Breakout has is surely overkill, I would not install a Breakout Plus in this frame.

Robotfood99, please could your bud post a picture of his Prophet here?

·
Registered
83 Posts
robotfood99 said:
Hey there caizu, when i said Shermans were overkills, i meant that from a weight-weeny pov. :) I know Prophet rides like butta with the Sherman, a little unbalanced but not unacceptable...looks a bit outta place with all other parts being XC-ish though. Now, like Cedric, if u set the whole package up for more FR/light DH duties I dont see why the hell not.

In fact I am thinking of buying the Prohpet 600 and changing the fork to the Sherman myself..and swap out a lot of parts to a more heavy duty set. I could always slap the parts off of 600 on my aging HT. Or should I jusy build from the frame up. :D

Not sure if my non-English speaking friend can navigate this site to post the pic but I sent him the link anyway.
Hello!

Yes my Prophet is heavier, much heavier than weight-weenie versions. And, yes, my whole package is really quite a hardcore. I just like it because I can trail ride it and go hardcore too.

I have done the same you described you were interested in. I bought a Prophet 600 with upgraded transmission and changed nearly all the parts and fork. In fact, I had a Jekyll with very good parts and I also had a Breakout so I just installed those top parts and Breakout on Prophet and put the Lefty Max 140 FFD and new Prophet parts (and my old transmission) on Jekyll frame and sold a Jekyll. It was a big hassle, but I have done this also before and I saved so much money with this approach when comparing if I had bought just the Prophet frame and new transmission and sold the old Jekyll frame and old transmission away. I might post a picture of my Prophet soon. I think you might like it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
my fork plan

If I buy the 600, I would eventually want to swap the Lefty out for the new Rock Shox PIKE (only because I am curious and hear awesome things about the fork).

It's 5 inches up front (fully adjustable down to 100mm (?), and if your weight conscious...I believe it is like 4.5lbs.

caizu said:
Hello!

Yes my Prophet is heavier, much heavier than weight-weenie versions. And, yes, my whole package is really quite a hardcore. I just like it because I can trail ride it and go hardcore too.

I have done the same you described you were interested in. I bought a Prophet 600 with upgraded transmission and changed nearly all the parts and fork. In fact, I had a Jekyll with very good parts and I also had a Breakout so I just installed those top parts and Breakout on Prophet and put the Lefty Max 140 FFD and new Prophet parts (and my old transmission) on Jekyll frame and sold a Jekyll. It was a big hassle, but I have done this also before and I saved so much money with this approach when comparing if I had bought just the Prophet frame and new transmission and sold the old Jekyll frame and old transmission away. I might post a picture of my Prophet soon. I think you might like it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The Pike has 5.5 inches of travel and ranges in weight from 4.75lbs to 4.95lbs depending on the model you buy. I have been looking into the Pike also and it seems like the best bang for the buck fork by far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.