Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regrets

some friends and i started on a topic of our biggest regrets in regards to bike collecting. mine was passing an NOS Santana Moda with Campy OR for $900. also, to pay for a move i sold my 92' team Slingshot frame, NOS Monster Fat, and complete Yeti Ultimate. not so sure that move was worth giving up those bikes now. :rolleyes: what is or are your biggest regrets as a collector?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Cunningham

Back in the late '80s, there was a guy who worked at Rim Cyclery (John G.?) who was selling his Cunningham. It was as close to my size as it could get and I seem to recall the price was about $1000.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ssmike said:
Back in the late '80s, there was a guy who worked at Rim Cyclery (John G.?) who was selling his Cunningham. It was as close to my size as it could get and I seem to recall the price was about $1000.
i know Dave, the owner of Rim Cyclery sold his cunningham a few years ago.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
I passed up Ruthie's Ritchey P-22 Team bike back in 98/99...but I didn't know about collecting then and it was $1000.

I also missed out on a $75 88/89 Slingshot decked out in full XT with Cook cranks. The Craigslist bastard wouldn't hold it for me! VDub later saw the new owner and the bike at Burningman. I'm bitter to this day.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rumpfy said:
I passed up Ruthie's Ritchey P-22 Team bike back in 98/99...but I didn't know about collecting then and it was $1000.

I also missed out on a $75 88/89 Slingshot decked out in full XT with Cook cranks. The Craigslist bastard wouldn't hold it for me! VDub later saw the new owner and the bike at Burningman. I'm bitter to this day.
i gave the new owner of that 88/89 Slingshot my phone number and he put it in the seat bag. i still hold out hope that he will decide to sell it and dig through his bag for my number. you better believe i'll be at burning man again this year looking for that bike again.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
vdubbusrider said:
some friends and i started on a topic of our biggest regrets in regards to bike collecting. mine was passing an NOS Santana Moda with Campy OR for $900. also, to pay for a move i sold my 92' team Slingshot frame, NOS Monster Fat, and complete Yeti Ultimate. not so sure that move was worth giving up those bikes now. :rolleyes: what is or are your biggest regrets as a collector?
I lost out on a Cook Bros 26" cruiser for $50. It was just the double diamond version but still very nice. Lots of vintage Cook parts. Damn

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
My regrets are the bikes I've sold

I miss my '94 Answer Manitou FS. At one point I had TNT Ti hubs with Ti spokes, blue Topline Superlight Cranks, and Campy Record OR cantis. Rode this bike more than any other, probably off road 4 days a week for 9 months of the year, from 94 to 96. Sold it to a friend in approx 97 who rode it for several years and then sold it to some random guy. Never saw it again. I know a lot of people have had problems with these frames breaking (I've seen several) but this bike was put through the works and nary a problem...

I miss my Tom Teasdale Voodoo FS (don't remember if it was called a Canzo yet, it was a nice steel frame, the next year they switched to aluminum), no fancy parts, mostly lx, but it was a good looking bike that was a nice alternative to my Manitou FS, which I still had when I got this (95/96?).

And I miss my first "high end" mountain bike, my Paramount Series 70, nothing super special, but I got it as a frame in 91 or so and lovingly built it up piece by piece. That bike went through several forks, including the stock rigid (and when I mean rigid that fork was rigid), a RS 1, a manitou 1 and 2, and finally a Trek Showa fork, until I went back to the Manitou 1. It had a whole slew of early high end parts, including various Grafton, topline, XT (this was pre-xtr), TNT, Nuke Proof, etc. Eventually sold to an aquaintance who rode it off road once and that was it.

The one thing I tried to buy but missed out was a Tioga Disc Drive, back in the day when they were new. At Interbike Schwinn had them listed on a close out for 89 bucks in their special catalog, so me and my buddy ordered four, but despite promises by the rep they never were delivered. I think somebody made a mistake and it was caught before nay shipped.

I can't say I have regrets about bikes I've missed, as I've never stumbled upon any really good deals. I've stumbled upon many cool bikes that I would've liked to own, but always found the owners asking way too much. There's a guy who comes by my local bike shop, which is actually the first shop I ever worked at, who is convinced that his circa 1989 Ritchey is worth several thousands and his 85'ish Specialized double that. Worse than him are the balloon tire kooks, who have 8 year old Schwinn cruisers and think they can get the same price as an original Black Phantom, cause they've got the same cantilever frame.

·
information leafblower
244 Posts
bonty regrets

maybe not quite in the same vein, but it's good to vent...not buying a Race Lite in 1993 when the UK distributor cleared out their old stock, selling my small CX frame in 1999 and small Race frame the same year...

more recently...missing out on that medium ti lite on ebay yesterday.

wanted ALL OF THE ABOVE! - tho a small ti lite would fit me better ;-)

·
Retro Grouch
132 Posts
I sold my Yeti Treefrog 20" Trials bike, one of 12 built, when I was short of money 10 years ago. Bought that bike brand new in 1991 and still regret it very much that I sold it. i also sold my 1990 FRO around that time but was lucky enough to buy it back 5 yrs ago.

Oh, and I also regret not buying several Bontragers when I worked at Trek Germany at the time they overtook Bontrager. They still had alot of Race and Race Lites in stock that would have been really cheap for me as an employee.

Greetings,

Michael

·
Registered
104 Posts
Regrets

vdubbusrider said:
The three I have sold that I regret are:
'92 Boulder Intrepid with Campy OR and XC-Pro parts - but it went to a good home.
'94 Barracuda A2X (Team colours) with full original XTR group - it didn't go to such a good home
'94 Zaskar LE with CQP cranks to finance a move.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,768 Posts
Tinker's Klein

My biggest regret was not buying one of Tinker's Klein frames that was on eBay in 1999 and closed at around $250.

I don't think I really regret selling anything that I have had. I buy, I try, and if I dont like it it's out the door. My only regrets are not pulling the trigger on some things that I could afford but I was thinking "do I really need that"

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I think I regret selling every bike I ever had, except for my crappy Huffy I had when I was a kid (sold it for $20 to a pawn shop, man did they get screwed) or the 1986 Cannondale SR300 road bike (alum. road bikes suck).

Probably the bike I miss the most is my Trek 700 hybrid I customized. I picked it up at a thrift store for $25 and had a buddy repaint it with flat black epoxy primer. I found a donor bike with all Deore components and threw those on their. I ended up putting a nicer set of wheels, Avid canti brakes, and a few other parts. I used it as my road bike. I decided to sell it in order to finance the new mountain bike I got last year. It turns out I didnt really need to sell it, but I did get good money for it. I had about $200 tied up in the bike and got $425 for it on ebay.

I tend to go through road bikes really fast. Before that trek, I had a vintage Trek 400, after the hybrid I got a Cannondale, which was the roughest riding POS ever. Now I am riding a mystery road frame somebody gave me. I know for certain it is Italian and I am about 90% sure its a Cinelli. The same guy gave me a box full of parts including a complete Campy Nuovo Record groupo. I have the bike set up with mustache bars, bar cons, and a Brooks B-17 standard, so it looks pretty cool. Somebody please shoot me if I ever decide to sell this bike.

·
1,476 Posts
Mine would be around 96-97. I saw a yeti with rigid fork. It had all xt parts with a rusted falling off chain.

It was for less than 150 dollars at a used sports equipment store. I considered buying it and stripping down the parts for the xt.

I knew nothing about the yeti or the fork.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.