Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
294 Posts
We had it here in Long Beach. The fines for not having a license ran about 400$!!!! Fortunately it was overturned a few weeks ago. I hope that won't come to pass, cuz that's gonna suck (specially if you have more than I ride).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just cause some no name introduces a bill doesn't mean it's going anywhere. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bill_for_bike_registration_V0xn4OSEoMaCmen71bMK1J

A state lawmaker is trying to hit the brakes on rogue cyclists.

Assemblyman Michael DenDekker (D-Queens) has introduced a bill that would mandate registration -- much as for motor vehicles -- for every bicycle in the state, complete with license plates hanging from the rear of the seats.

He also proposed a separate measure that would force every commercial cyclist in the state to carry identification and have insurance.

If the bill passes, the license plates would cost $25 in the first year and $5 each additional year for recreational cyclists.

Commercial cyclists -- such as deliverymen -- would pay $50 for the registration plus the cost of insurance.

He introduced the bills last week in response to the major expansion of bike lanes throughout the city under Mayor Bloomberg and city Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan.

A prominent biking advocate in the city - Paul Steely White of the nonprofit group Transportation Alternatives - said most messenger companies provide liability insurance for their cyclists.

White also trashed DenDekker's licensing proposal.

"Don't our leaders in Albany have more pressing problems than to create a bureaucratic morass for a simple and healthy activity?" White said. "This bill is scant on details. It reads more like a Tweet than legislation."

White questioned how likely it is that the state Department of Motor Vehicles would effectively enforce this measure "without causing an expensive and time-consuming bureaucratic nightmare."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bill_for_bike_registration_V0xn4OSEoMaCmen71bMK1J#ixzz1FIsrqOlq

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd gladly pay a city registration fee for each of my bikes IF all the proceeds went into funding bikes paths, lanes, education, etc. However...I doubt that' will ever happen...it'll fund more BS.

·
Just drink it
32 Posts
Not only registration but they're talking about cyclists needing to have their bikes inspected each year! That means, all your reflectors need to be on, probably a light also, tire tread depth, etc etc. What a joke. This won't pass. It'll take way too much to enforce it....then again, it is NYS.

·
Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
294 Posts
Cygnusx51 said:
Not only registration but they're talking about cyclists needing to have their bikes inspected each year! That means, all your reflectors need to be on, probably a light also, tire tread depth, etc etc. What a joke. This won't pass. It'll take way too much to enforce it....then again, it is NYS.
I HAD to go through that in Strong Beach. It could happen. A swim instructor at the local pool, issued the bike licenses for a certain neighborhood. There was a checklist that she had to go through during the licensing practice: She had to test my brake cables (Good luck with that, most are in the tube:) ), check the chain for wear...seriously (unfortunately my drive train was caked because I found some dirt on my way there). And to slap on those ugly stickers on my bike's finish?!

I shed a small tear each time I see those gaudy blue and green stickers. Let's pray this never happens to you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This would be, founded in the declaration of independence, grounds for an overthrowal of the government. ....."That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends (aka liberty), it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government".

This is nothing short of tyranny! We have a right to ride our bikes! The government is not protecting the peoples rights!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Shark said:
Friend of mine just got a $50 ticket (with $85 processing fee LOL) for a bike rack obstructing the plate on his truck...in NY. What a joke, no doubt money grab.
I'm glad me and my rack-obstructed Pennsylvania license plate stay out of N.Y. then or I'd be paying fines practically every week. With all the stop-sign and red-light runners, tailgaters, aggressive drivers, lane weavers, cell-phone-all-over-the-road guys, etc. and they're worried about my Thule T2 hitch rack being left up? Really? :p

·
All fat, all the time.
10,630 Posts
roxnroots said:
I'm glad me and my rack-obstructed Pennsylvania license plate stay out of N.Y. then or I'd be paying fines practically every week. With all the stop-sign and red-light runners, tailgaters, aggressive drivers, lane weavers, cell-phone-all-over-the-road guys, etc. and they're worried about my Thule T2 hitch rack being left up? Really? :p
Yup! That's the rack he has as well!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.