Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm having more fun riding than ever. I recently started mountain biking. I would say it's keeping you young!
Got my first modern mountain bike last fall and WOW, I'm having a blast. Hadn't been on a mtb bike in years, and that was a rigid Giant with a triple crank.

After years of avid road riding, spending a weekend morning in the woods without cars is absolute bliss!

I've been on a bike daily for almost two decades now, can't imagine it any other way. I'm grateful every single day that I'm able to live mostly car-free.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, we haven't defined the parameters of young/old, so we can't even have a proper argument :giggle:

But, for me, staying young is about still having fun and doing things you enjoy, even if you don't have the same freedom as you did when you were actually young. Having a 9-5, a partner, kids...can be a major grind. Staying young to me is accepting that responsibility, but still having fun.

I still ride bikes. I still play sports. I still do new, fun things, take adventures when I can. Getting "old" to me is throwing up your hands and spending all weekend indoors watching football, eating fast food, drinking lite beer, and being miserable.

Oh yeah, after a lifetime of sports and having playing top-level in college, my BODY is definitely getting older, doesn't recover like it did, doesn't perform like it did...but my mind is still that of a 20 year old, in good ways. (I don't appreciate dudes who just ride or fish or whatever all weekend and just shove the kids on their wife. That isn't cool.)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I raced MTB, road, and CX from '92-'04. I won a State Champ title in '04, and shortly after, I put my bike away. My body was tired, I was losing the motivation to suffer, and training the way I had been didn't allow me to be the kind of dad I wanted to be for my newborn daughter. I didn't really know how to ride just for the fun of riding. It was always training to go faster. I took that energy and shifted it into playing music (something I could practice at home). When my daughter got older, she started playing softball. That evolved into me becoming a coach, and her playing travel ball. Softball consumed us, and dictated the schedule of our family...and it still does. It's been worth every bit of it to watch my daughter excel at the game she loves, and I am excited about seeing her paly college ball next year.

In Dec. '19, I got back on my bike. I weighed 225 lbs., my BP was high, and my other health numbers weren't very good, either. I made a determined decision that it was time to get my body moving again. I started with trainer sessions in my garage, and then got back out on the road. As my fitness started returning, I began doing weekend group rides with people I used to ride with. By June '20, I had dropped 40 lbs, and my health numbers were improved. It felt good to be strong and (almost) fast again.

Currently, I'm holding steady at 180-185 lbs, and consistently on the bike 3-4 days/week. Sometimes I ride to get faster. Sometimes I ride to just enjoy the feel of the ground under my wheels. Sometimes I stop to take pics. My fitness is back to the point where I can do a lot of the local go-fast roadie group rides, but the competitiveness of those rides is less attractive to me than they used to be. I've had a better time grinding dirt on my 20+ year old singlespeed 26er.

My body aches a lot. Sometimes it's because I'm 52. Sometimes it's because I pushed the limits of my fitness, and my muscles are complaining - those times make me smile. I don't know that biking is making me feel younger, but it's sure helping me feel good about being the age I am. There were a lot of years when I didn't feel that way.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I spend way too much time on this forum.
As my sweet-heart and I walk (limp) into our 60"s, I often wonder, Am I just refusing to grow up?
Or is my riding keeping me young?:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Hopefully both.

Plan ahead. I plan to live to at least 102 so I can be retired as long as I worked. Not counting jobs in HS and College, that's 40 years of each. Thirty years to go and I have no plans to stop riding in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Young can be thought of as relative to your peers, if most of your friends are active cyclists, you will forget how 'old' other 'normal' people are in your age group. A few months ago a nurse was taking my blood pressure and commented: "you have the blood pressure of a teenager" - I assume he meant a healthy teenager.

I ride for both fun and fitness, riding is the only exercise that I actually enjoy and look forward to. I ride about every other day, and I seem to be able to get pretty fast on about 5-8 hours per week.

Eric F, my story is very similar (except for the state champ part... but I was a respectable Expert 30 years ago). I got back into riding 10 years ago at age 44, and I'm currently 50-60 pounds below my peak; I'm road riding with the fast local guys (yes, they can and do drop me on the really fast sections). I've also been competitive in cat1 masters mtb, and C1/2 masters cyclocross, - keep at it and you will get fast again before long. My first 9 months or so back on the bike I would have a headache every night, be careful about over doing it, but keep at it.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,089 Posts
I spend way too much time on this forum.
As my sweet-heart and I walk (limp) into our 60"s, I often wonder, Am I just refusing to grow up?
Or is my riding keeping me young?:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Refusing to grow old and refusing to grow up are two very different things in my book.😉

First one is a given so I mark that off as nothing to worry about.
The second one on the other hand is something I pay close attention to because the often but also welcome mischief character of my inner child is something that makes life fun for me.

I like riding and that it potentially keeps the adult diaper years maybe a day or two further away is a much appreciated side effect.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,655 Posts
I'm convinced that mountain biking keeps you 10 years younger... or adds 10 years to your life (riding 3-5 times a wee). I've seen regular people my age and it looks scary.

It works two ways:
  • it is an active lifestyle and a form of sustainable exercise. It keeps the body, brain, system healthy. And it influences you to eat and sleep better.
  • it is fun and it gets you up in morning looking forward to the wonders life has to offer that day.

These two combined is really the fountain of youth. The minute you stop moving, and when you lose motivation and enthusiasm for life, you slowly wither, and age quickly.

fc

·
Registered
Signal Peak 29x2.6,Dropper,Pike 140mm
45 Posts
Wife and I started slowly on hybrids last October, discovered trails by our house bought FS bikes in Dec and Jan. Now ride at least 3/4 times a week on trails in our mid 50’s. We look forward to our late evening ride and beers. Can’t imagine riding w anyone else and have taken a few bike oriented trips. So hooked, and when I sneeze while lying in bed that fear of pain as I sneeze is gone completely. My body feels stronger we eat much better but still enjoy food. She recently slalomed on a lake trip, we’ve both had an incident or two falling off our bikes but luckily no injuries, we are in way better shape physically. I’ve rearranged life goals around our new fitness level. Very lucky to have trails we can ride to from our house ride 8-12 miles then chill as the sunsets. I definitely want a longer telomeres.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts