Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from http://www.ebparks.org/parks/redwood

"The following trails will be closed weekdays only, beginning as soon as Tuesday, July 15, and lasting possibly through September, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for a hazardous tree and fuel mitigation project: Phillips' Loop, Eucalyptus Trail, and East Ridge Trail between Skyline Gate and Prince Trail. Equestrians and hikers may use Stream and Prince trails to bypass the project zone. Bicyclists will not be able to bypass the project zone and will need to turn around at the junction of East Ridge and Prince trails. For your safety, please observe these trail closures."

Maybe those of you who can make it to the 7/29 meeting can ask for some consideration for us -- like temproary permission to use Prince, or something. This wrecks one of the best loops in the east bay for the rest of the summer, at least on weekdays.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
older and slower said:

"The following trails will be closed weekdays only, beginning as soon as Tuesday, July 15, and lasting possibly through September, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for a hazardous tree and fuel mitigation project: Phillips' Loop, Eucalyptus Trail, and East Ridge Trail between Skyline Gate and Prince Trail. Equestrians and hikers may use Stream and Prince trails to bypass the project zone. Bicyclists will not be able to bypass the project zone and will need to turn around at the junction of East Ridge and Prince trails. For your safety, please observe these trail closures."

Maybe those of you who can make it to the 7/29 meeting can ask for some consideration for us -- like temproary permission to use Prince, or something. This wrecks one of the best loops in the east bay for the rest of the summer, at least on weekdays.
Boy, if that isn't discrimination, I don't know what is. You bet we're going to scream loudly.

For starters, how about dropping an email or letter to your ward's director, the park's supervisor and I'll figure out which staff members need to get an earful. Our action needs to happen sooner than the meeting on the 29th.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
This is an outrageous accommodation.

It reflects the distinct lack of appreciation the EBRPD has for our user group and it's experience. Let's focus an effort to contact the Park folk and give them an earful. Try and be nice about it but do it:

Nancy Skinner
Ward 1 Board Member
Secretary of the Board
Berkeley
E-mail: [email protected]

John Sutter
Ward 2 Board Member
Oakland

Carol Severin
Ward 3 Board Member
Castro Valley

Doug Siden
Ward 4 Board Member
Treasurer of the Board
Alameda

Ayn Wieskamp
Ward 5 Board Member
President of the Board
Livermore

Beverly Lane
Ward 6 Board Member
Danville

Ted Radke
Ward 7 Board Member
Vice-President of the Board
Martinez

Pat O'Brien
General Manager

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bah. No appreciation for bicyclists there. I went for the first time a week ago and couldn't believe the number of "no bike" signs posted on the singletrack. Best to hit the trails in Joaquin Miller for more of a challenge.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My letter here

I sent this letter via email today. I have taken out my personal information for posting. If you live on the west side of the hills, from Richmond to San Leandro, note the Nancy Skinner just won the primary for the State Assembly seat for this area and will probably win the seat in November. So give her a pat on the back and threat on the voting. Cheers. Letter follows:

July 5, 2008

Nancy Skinner
Ward 1 Board Member
Secretary of the Board
Berkeley

Re: Closure of Redwood Regional Park, East Ridge Trail, to Cyclists

Dear Ms. Skinner:

I am a resident of Berkeley and heavy and frequent user of the nearby parks, especially Tilden, Wildcat and Redwood.

I am also an avid mountain biker (having first ridden a mountain bike in Briones Park in 1987!). One of my favorite rides is in Redwood Park, where I follow the recommended "Redwood Bike Route" as outlined and mapped in the EBRPD Redwood Regional Park map and brochure. I ride this route several times each month, and often on weekdays when pressure on the park is lighter and other users are less prevalent.

It is shocking and dismaying, then, to learn that it will be impossible to ride in Redwood Park for the rest of the summer:

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/redwood

This closure makes it impossible to follow the route recommended in the park brochure, which essentially makes it impossible to ride in Redwood. As you might know, one of the great attractions of Redwood is the ability of cyclists to enjoy the loop of East Ridge/West Ridge, ending at the place we started. With East Ridge closed to cyclists for a mere one mile of an 8 mile course, cyclists will be forced to backtrack and miss the spectacular views and fun descents when going down West Ridge trail. West Ridge trail cannot be used in a northward direction by even the very best of cyclists, due to the steep and lengthy climb from the valley floor. West Ridge is only attractive to cyclists as a rewarding descent after the challenge of Canyon and East Ridge Trails.

Further, the district's willingness to accommodate all other users of the park is unfair. Why are hikers, dog walkers and equestrians allowed full use of the park during the summer months while cyclists are barred from one of the most popular parks in the District?

I ask that you reconsider the closure to cyclists. Perhaps the work can be staged so that East Ridge is closed only for a short period. Or, perhaps cyclists could be allowed on the alternative trails during the closure. If necessary, I would be happy with a restriction to walk my bike on Prince and Stream Trails. I would even volunteer my time to educate cyclists on the modified route, perhaps through the BTCEB or similar organization. What I cannot tolerate is the virtual closure of the park to cyclists for two and ½ months.

Thank you for your consideration and attention. To paraphrase a bumper sticker, I mountain bike, and I vote. In fact, I voted for you in the recent election and look forward to your election in November.

Sincerely,

[name and address]
Berkeley, CA

cc:

John Sutter
Ward 2 Board Member
Oakland

Carol Severin
Ward 3 Board Member
Castro Valley

Doug Siden
Ward 4 Board Member
Treasurer of the Board
Alameda

Ayn Wieskamp
Ward 5 Board Member
President of the Board
Livermore

Beverly Lane
Ward 6 Board Member
Danville

Ted Radke
Ward 7 Board Member
Vice-President of the Board
Martinez

Pat O'Brien
General Manager

·
Banned
218 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
It just takes a moment to copy ,paste and send. You are unwilling to lift a finger. Pretty sad.
It's called reality Mike.

I've seen 20+ years of EBRPD bullshiat like this. Getting all worked up over the latest "injustice" is just tilting at windmills. Copying, pasting, and sending is just as futile Don Quixote.

There's lots of quality dirt in the East Bay, "legal" and "illegal."

Copying, pasting and sending hasn't affected my ability to ride that dirt.

p.s. I've lifted way more than a finger for MTB access in the East Bay so before you trot out your holier than thou, Mejia is once again giving himself a virtual pat on the back crap you might want to think a bit lest you display your idiocy for all to see.

Or not. Either way, you're good for a laugh.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
It just takes a moment to copy ,paste and send. You are unwilling to lift a finger. Pretty sad.
Personally I have to agree with mint on that one. I'll fight for something that has a chance, but if it's access to a boring, dusty, crowded fire road or another equally boring trail to bypass it im out. Instead of going up east ridge which is boring as hell I go up mac donald in chabot to parkridge gate and come back on the single track down the median on skyline blvd. It's way more fun then east ridge and theres way less people. You come across as an optimist and I respect that, I'm a realist and know that even if by some miracle we get access to another trail to bypass it we still dont get sh!t.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The Pete avitar surfaces anew

Nothing holy about trying and asking for help. It only takes a moment In fact you don't even have to be nice about it. That might suit you well and serve two purposes though you didn't read it here..;)

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
so let me get this straight...

... MTB_freak2000 and Urinal Mint, you would rather spend your time bashing Berkeley Mike and criticizing him for trying rather than make the tiniest bit of effort to improve anything?
and you refer to HIM as the idiot and as being Sad?
Puhleeze!!

email sent as requested Mike.
And, for the record, it took me ~30 seconds to do so while taking part in another pointless argument on the Internet infighting with other mountain bikers who really don't care wasted about 10 minutes of my life that i'll never get back.
Freak, Mint, please respond with long elaborate detail to my message so, at least, i can take pleasure in knowing that i robbed you of a little bit of your life for insulting those of us who don't think it's pointless or "holier than thou" to actually try improve things.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
... MTB_freak2000 and Urinal Mint, you would rather spend your time bashing Berkeley Mike and criticizing him for trying rather than make the tiniest bit of effort to improve anything?
Puhleeze!!

email sent as requested Mike.
And, for the record, it took me ~30 seconds to do so while taking part in another pointless argument on the Internet infighting with other mountain bikers who really don't care wasted about 10 minutes of my life that i'll never get back.
Freak, Mint, please respond with long elaborate detail to my message so, at least, i can take pleasure in knowing that i robbed you of a little bit of your life for insulting those of us who don't think it's pointless or "holier than thou" to actually try improve things.
I'm with Mint. If I email a message to those pieces of **** that continually close the trails, disregard all political efforts on our behalf and repeatedly **** over mountain bikers and our access, it would go something like this.

"Suck my ****. You don't have enough staff to catch me. I'll ride where I want, *****es."

You really want me to write them?:thumbsup:

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Whether it is a fire road or singletrack that we're talking about, this is MANY peoples' regular ride. The fact that this closure is occurring without regard to ALL user groups is wrong. This is why everyone is being asked to write.

Sure, it's a piece of $hit fire road and we would have to detour onto narrow trails but it's wrong of them to cut off our access for what seems like a long time.

To some degree, it doesn't matter if you write your own personalized message or copy and paste someone else's. I'm sure that if they read all of the letters closely enough that they can see that they are c&p but it's also the number of emails and letters that they receive on each issue.

Write and be counted!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Dan'ger said:
Whether it is a fire road or singletrack that we're talking about, this is MANY peoples' regular ride. The fact that this closure is occurring without regard to ALL user groups is wrong. This is why everyone is being asked to write.

Sure, it's a piece of $hit fire road and we would have to detour onto narrow trails but it's wrong of them to cut off our access for what seems like a long time.

To some degree, it doesn't matter if you write your own personalized message or copy and paste someone else's. I'm sure that if they read all of the letters closely enough that they can see that they are c&p but it's also the number of emails and letters that they receive on each issue.

Write and be counted!
Message Sent! Unfortunately it didn't save to my sent items. I'm sure ya'll would be proud!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I rode the Redwood loop this morning (great ride, btw), and it will really piss me off if this plan proceeds. Further, there is only one sign, at the Skyline Gate, announcing the plan, with no mention of the banning MTBs for 2-3 months. No sign at Canyon or East Ridge and Pinehurst. How pissed would you be if you got to the proposed closure and had to turn around? And big thumbs up to the guys we passed riding UP West Ridge from the fishway. You guys rock.

If you're a responsible rider who understands that working within the system can bring about meaningful change, please take a minute to send a letter or email to the EBRPD. If they close East Ridge without a significant outcry from the MTB community, they will be emboldened to fook with us even more.

Oh, you guys who want to rant and rave and insult rather than help out, you can be excused from the request. Thank you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
Puhleeze!!
I'm not bashing him, I just have a difference in opinion because I know how EBRPD works and I dont particularly like that trail in the first place. If it came across that way thats not what I intended.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah, gotta say...

older and slower said:

This blows.

The reason this blows is not that we are losing some POS fireroad. The reason this blows is that I lose my weeknight workout loop. That section of road connects the loop, and there isn't any easy way to connect it.

I'm writing as we speak.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.