Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
EDIT:
Along with what CmC stated above there are other thing to concider after the rotatioal weight (tires tubes and wheelsets) reduction has been achieved..

Here's some information you might find interesting to drop some weight off your bike (click>) Weight Weenies FAQs..As components wear out replacing them with lighter options is the way to go..If making your bike lighter makes you want to ride more, well thats a good thing :thumbsup:

3 to 5 ounces can be lost by Click> Titanium and Aluminum bolt weight tuning :thumbsup:

Jake :ihih:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Good points

But I'm not sure the Asta's diet includes sugars, refined flours and other non-nutritional value items.

In all seriousness, you're absolutely right that the rider's weight and health is a more important factor. That doesn't change the fact that many people want a lighter bike, which means a more flickable ride. Hell, at 250 lbs myself I could lose 30 lbs and still be overweight, but I also want my ride to be a certain weight.

Bob

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Tires and tubes are good candidates for relatively inexpensive weight loss. Note that tire weights can vary by quite a bit, so don’t take manufacturers’ weights as gospel. OEM seatposts and handlebars tend to be on the portly side, so consider upgrading those when looking to lose some weight.

·
Registered
739 Posts
wmalan said:
Ditto on the body weight thing. Your going to spend oodles of $ on something better spent on you health.

--
Bill
<8% is really tough ... I am setting at 12-13% or so, which is still really good. According to FatTrack GOLD Digital Body Fat Caliper I am about 6.2% which I know to be incorrect, because I do not have a 6 pack. I have the outline, but at 6% it would be ripped.

We had a competition at work which used those calipers ...

Yeah, I am in a situation where it is hard for me to lose fat, not impossible, but difficult, but costly at the same time to reduce weight on my bike. So my goal is to work on my legs and make them stronger. Of course, you biggest muscles in your body are in your legs ... you build those up, increase you metabolism and burn more calories and lose more fat .... :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
But I'm not sure the Asta's diet includes sugars, refined flours and other non-nutritional value items.

In all seriousness, you're absolutely right that the rider's weight and health is a more important factor. That doesn't change the fact that many people want a lighter bike, which means a more flickable ride. Hell, at 250 lbs myself I could lose 30 lbs and still be overweight, but I also want my ride to be a certain weight.

Bob
yeah, I agree. I want my bike lighter too....

·
Registered
739 Posts
MrKalentine said:
Sort of off topic:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because you're skinny doesn't mean you have muscle...

Unless since this is a biking forum it is assumed everybody is ripped?
Very correct .... every see the anorexic college girl? Anyway my point ..they are super skinny yet have ZERO muscle tone and are gross ...

wmalan and I were making the comment that your body is a better investment than any weight reducing component. Unless you are mrpercussive, who is 120 wet and wearing boots:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
<8%... not me!

The 8% mark is one is picked since less then 2% of the population (IMHO) can hit it. I'm 6', 200lbs at this time. If I was 8% bf right now, I'd be 160lbs. Do the math...:eekster:
I have a long way to go myself! That's why for me (and many others), the bike weight is a non issue. As was mentioned though, lighter tires would be a nice addition as that is rotating (unsprung) weight that might be noticed no matter how... "built" we are. ;)

--
Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.