Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I have a stock 03 NRS1, apart from a carbon seatpost. I am starting to race on this bike and finding it could be a little lighter.

Can anyone suggest what are my best value for money upgrades to this bike to reduce weight.

Thanks very much for any info.

Cheers.
 

·
bang
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
sp00kme said:
hello,

I have a stock 03 NRS1, apart from a carbon seatpost. I am starting to race on this bike and finding it could be a little lighter.

Can anyone suggest what are my best value for money upgrades to this bike to reduce weight.

Thanks very much for any info.

Cheers.
it would benefit you to hang around the save some weight forum; lots of good ideas there. also, you could browse through light bikes for some additional ideas.

you could swap the stock pedals with some eggbeaters. swap the stem out with a syntace F99 or something from extralite if you can afford it. grab a new set of cranks when yours wear out (race face deus, turbines, next LP; shimano XT / XTR; FSA carbon something-or-other). swap the bar out with something carbon or titanium. perhaps invest in a lighter wheelset. change out all of your bolts to aluminum or titanium, get a set of foam grips, blah blah. it goes on forever lol. lots of good deals on ebay no doubt. im sure people have other suggestions for lightweight, affordable parts on the SSW forum, good luck and happy hunting :cool:
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
The most noticeable wieght savings will be in your wheel and tire combo. Check out American Classic 350 or DT240/4.1d and some tiny tires. There are so many different combos I really can't recommend one combo, esp. since I am not personally a weight weenie, and aim more for a trail nrs. Nothing else will give you a faster feeling than reducing rotating mass.
Another mod I have seen quite a few NRS owners rave about is the Noleen Mega air fork, which might be hard to find though. I personally run a SID carbon for racing, but it is a noodle- I swap to a Fox100rlc for trail.
Swap out your hayes for some Marta sl
Seek out Duckman - he has an NRS that apparantly weighs ~21-22lbs!!
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Agree, go for what really helps performance the most first. Wheels, drivetrain, things up high(for a lower effective center of gravity)like your post, bars, saddle, stem, etc. Ebay can save, as does sale stuff(like the pic'd $200 carbon saddle for $79 from Cambria hehehe).

The black trail NRS at 23lbs 8oz.



The full on race dedicated NRS. 21lbs 14oz with a "heavy" 11-32xt cassette, Jimmy Light front tire(495gms). With a Duraace cassette and lighter front tire, it can be donw around 21lbs 6-7oz. Raced it today in the SE regional finals. Fast bike. 8 races this season and not one flat, mechanical, etc. Noda.



Saddle and post porn



20gm foam grips, B4Pro Formula brakes(570gm total complete..nothings lighter) with all alum hardware, plus a Stans alum rotor up front, 140mm mini steel rotor in the back, 100% all ti/alum bolts thru out bike including rotor bolts-shock bolts-pivot cap bolts-etc-etc, 3lb Noleen fork, Twin ti Eggs, Carbon Next LP cranks, ti Action Tec taper sqr bb and srp ti crankbolts, alum chainwear and light rings, King ti cage, carbon bars-post-saddle, bolt on skewers, ti spokes w/ Hugi 240 hub w/ alum nips w/24 hole ust rims w/ std light race tires w/ Stans, bla bla bla. Just takes patience and cash.

 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Best weenie race fork ever made man. K2 got out of the fork mfg business, and otherwise sold off stock and 01-02 bikes(then taken down and sold as new take-off parts) to ediscountbike.com. I've otherwise tried on both nrs's: 03 sid Team(bought new), Sid XC(oem nrs1), 02 Duke SL100(bought new), Fox Vanilla R(bought new), 02 Zoke Marathon 100mm airfork(used on ebay). The Noleen is 3lbs even with a cut steerer. Same as my POS Sid Team. Almost as plush as the Vanilla R(can you imagine a Sid being described as such?). bigass 32mm sanctions and adjustable travel from 75-100mm, and adjustable rebound and compression. 3lbs man..on my scale. Nothings as light with that kind of peformance at ANY price. Closeout from $400 retail to $99. Yes, thats $99. Best $ spent yet. Sold the Sid and Vanilla recently, and haven't looked back. The Marathon is hanging around as a spare. Its 3lbs 5oz. Still very light.

Heres a huge thread about the fork...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=112023#poststop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I have an 03 NRS1 and the best single upgrade is to ditch the XT/ X3.1 USTs for lighter wheels/ tires. I changed to 717/WTB Lazerdisk lites, stans, python airlights and lost almost 2#. (!) All the other stuff I have changed: bars, crankset, seat, post, etc. does not compare to the wheels and tires. Go for it.
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Duckman- do you realize that w/ the 04 carbon front triangle, rockers and maybe cut the excess off your steerer tube and get rid of the bottle cage you could possibly have your weight down to around 21lbs even, maybe even break into the 20lbs mark with ridiculously light tires!!! That would be almost as light as my SS! :eek:
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
Duckman- do you realize that w/ the 04 carbon front triangle, rockers and maybe cut the excess off your steerer tube and get rid of the bottle cage you could possibly have your weight down to around 21lbs even, maybe even break into the 20lbs mark with ridiculously light tires!!! That would be almost as light as my SS! :eek:
My take..

The carbon frame would be cool, but its not much lighter cause the new Fox shock is heavier. Not that I've been thinking about it tho. hehe. The longish steerer is so it can still fit my other 2 large framed bikes. ie longer steertubes. Figure its like 10gms maybe. The cage is a king ti. Its less then an ounce at 27gms. It SAVES me weight by keeping 1.5lb(when its empty)Camel Bak plus all that excess water off my back for racing.
The most effective(and expensive)way would be to snag some Amclassic AC350 rimmed wheels with the new even lighter AC disc hubs with Sepim spokes and alum nips. Like 1285-1300gms total. My UST set is 1621gms, and my Amclassic 317/vxc based wheelsets are in the low 1500s. That be badarse indeed, but I do like my ust rims. Plus I've got way too many wheels ATM. Soooo....

...must...maintain...control...
 

·
bonkin' clyde
Joined
·
831 Posts
hey Duckman

Duckman said:
My take..

The carbon frame would be cool, but its not much lighter cause the new Fox shock is heavier. Not that I've been thinking about it tho. hehe. The longish steerer is so it can still fit my other 2 large framed bikes. ie longer steertubes. Figure its like 10gms maybe. The cage is a king ti. Its less then an ounce at 27gms. It SAVES me weight by keeping 1.5lb(when its empty)Camel Bak plus all that excess water off my back for racing.
The most effective(and expensive)way would be to snag some Amclassic AC350 rimmed wheels with the new even lighter AC disc hubs with Sepim spokes and alum nips. Like 1285-1300gms total. My UST set is 1621gms, and my Amclassic 317/vxc based wheelsets are in the low 1500s. That be badarse indeed, but I do like my ust rims. Plus I've got way too many wheels ATM. Soooo....

...must...maintain...control...
I know this question isn't directly related to this thread but:
If you had the choice of the current market, which other FS bike would you choose, or do you prefer the NRS over any other? :I am asking this because i am still not completely sure which FS frame I should be saving up for. I am also asking you this question because many tend to regard you as the unofficial FS weight weenie guru...
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
bluronthetrails said:
I know this question isn't directly related to this thread but:
If you had the choice of the current market, which other FS bike would you choose, or do you prefer the NRS over any other? :I am asking this because i am still not completely sure which FS frame I should be saving up for. I am also asking you this question because many tend to regard you as the unofficial FS weight weenie guru...
Thats a hard question to answer because of few reasons. First, if I were in the market for another frame(and money was no object as your Q suggests)I'd then have to do a ton of research here in the reviews, ask questions about each when the op presented itself(like your doing now), general lurking, etc. So I'm not "schooled" for that Q ATM. I've also not tried the new crop of SPV shocks out there, so I'm not qualified to judge those ATM either(ignorance is bless maybe?). Also...the specific use is THE main consideration. I have 3 bikes tuned for its specific use sorta, so as each can then be more focused more intently toward its specific use. Say the race bike...and say its carbon saddle(mainly)..wouldn't like multi tech climbing falls from several "fun" tries that day, that a trail bike might endure, but it doesn't have too. With the presence of the other bikes, its left to enjoy being the relatively more fragle bike(24 hole ti spokes, carbon stiff, lighter thinner tires, etc). The HT is tuned to be a general trail, rails to trails training, mud race bike, loaner, etc..so the others don't have too. The black NRS is a great Pisgah epic ride, as it still climbs great, etc, biggier 2.25 tires(thin RRs tho), etc. My drift here is, that if one was to own 1 bike for all uses, it would be different then what I might end up for each use.

Now, if money vs "value" comes into play(and it always should)...the NRS is hard to beat IMHO. On Ebay a good new or near new frame can be had for $300-500 all day long. A frame that can be obviously built up light(and easier to do with the money you've saved from a boutiqe brand frame), thats thought of as a benchmark FS climber/racer, and handles excellent. Its up to the rider if the harshness of the race chassis is for them or not.

Thanks for the guru thing, but theres lots of schooled dudes lurking around here that now so much more then me. I'm just more excessive/compulsive I fear. hehe.

If you held my hand to the fire and I HAD to answer your question right now...for 1 bike to own...and money wasn't really an issue..it'd prob be a Blur frame. I've ridden my buds 04 XTR version and it was a very nice ride. Climbs well, plush, and was 24lbs even. Thats plenty light without really trying sorta.

Hope this helps,

Duckster
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Is that compared to the current(meaning they too use the heavier new shock) alum framed models? ..or also the 02/03s that use the well thoght of Sid(LOL!) rear shock? Just curious, as I've not heard this clarified.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top