Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the pros and cons of taking a 130 mm travel fork and reducing it down to a 100mm fork are? Is this a good idea?

I have a bike that is only recommended for 100 mm travel but I want a Fox Vanilla RLC shock. It comes as a 130mm but can be taken down to 100mm.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
No real problem at all.....

the fork is designed to be dual travel so it's made for it. Damping, etc. will not be affected. The only thing that might need to be changed is the springs. Generally speaking the less travel you have the higher the spring rate should be. Or you may have to add additional preload. If you use a medium spring and 0 preload in the 130mm setting you might have to add a couple of turns of preload to get the sag right at 100mm. Or if you use a couple of turns or preload at 130 with med springs, you might have to go to heavy springs and no preload. The reason being is that a bump accelerates the fork into it's movement. The more travel you have the slower you can decelerate the fork, thus the softer the springs can be. When you shorten that travel you basically shorten the distance that you have to slow the fork. So you need a stiffer spring to do it. Anyway, other than that there should be no problem running the RLC at 100mm. It is designed to do just that.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dyi

MTBAssassin said:
Cool, thanks again.......I am pretty psyched to try out my new shock and disc brakes........
If you want to do the conversion yourself then check out www.enduroforkseals.com
The pictorial directions are great, but are for '04 Vanilla. Check the Fox website for newer manuals.
It's a great fork, I ride one.

·
lover of trees
85 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, to tell you the truth I was just going to take it to my local shop and hope they could do it for me.
I am pretty psyched, I have never had a shock this nice, and now I have to get discs (for the front at least)

·
Registered
388 Posts
i'm jealous of your obvious excitement with your new fork! i want new parts...

i run my vanilla at 100mm and i love it. it's not the lightest fork on the market but the action is super sweet. enjoy.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I set my travel to 92mm

I installed my 03 Vanilla RL on my Stumpjumper hardtail. The frame is designed for an 80mm fork, but I wanted more travel. 100mm seemed too long, the steering just did not feel the way it did at 80mm. Took the fork apart, played with the spacers, bought some nylon washers to use as spacers. Arranged it so I get 90mm, ended up with 92mm. Now I only need to add a little more oil, as I am bottoming out every once in a while.

THe Vanilla is a very durable and easy fork to work on. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I set my travel to 92mm

I installed my 03 Vanilla RL on my Stumpjumper hardtail. The frame is designed for an 80mm fork, but I wanted more travel. 100mm seemed too long, the steering just did not feel the way it did at 80mm. Took the fork apart, played with the spacers, bought some nylon washers to use as spacers. Arranged it so I get 90mm, ended up with 92mm. Now I need to add a little more oil, as I am bottoming out every once in a while.

THe Vanilla is a very durable and easy fork to work on. Good luck with yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts