Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible? I bought the longer travel version specifically for use on a long travel bike, but I want to swap it to the SS and the frame's designed around a 110mm fork. I know that increasing the Neg pressure will shorten it up but will also interfere with the way it was designed to work.

Thanks for any tips and any links to threads I couldn't find with the search!

ScottN

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Increasing the negative pressure won't screw up the way the fork works, in fact it makes it feel better imho. What it does, is "alter the static load on the fork"- in other words, it's like adding weight to your bars. It makes the fork plusher and more linear, then past a certain pressure it will also reduce the forks travel and length. You can also play the negative pressure against the PAR pressure to prevent the fork from bottoming out.

I have the AM SL in 130-150 form and have tried it at pretty much every travel setting; for my bike it feels perfect at 140mm. I weigh 175lbs and run 25psi in both pos. springs, about 180 in the negative, and none in the PAR.

After about 18 rides, the fork recently started to feel super broken in and plush- I was skeptical for a while but now I'm super stoked. Rode it back-to-back with a FOX 36 the other day; the AM SL feels way better to me (however it's not as stiff but it is 1lb lighter).

So I say keep the fork you have, try reducing the positive pressure first, then increase the negative pressure until you have 130mm of exposed stanchion, at that point it will feel great and probably work fine on your SS.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.