Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use less than the recommended oil to save weight?
My damper was leaking for a whole season and when I finally changed the seals and oil there was almost half what was required, still worked fine. Even though its not that heavy, for those of you who count grams it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
193 Posts
evan811 said:
Anyone use less than the recommended oil to save weight?
My damper was leaking for a whole season and when I finally changed the seals and oil there was almost half what was required, still worked fine. Even though its not that heavy, for those of you who count grams it might be a good idea.
I really prefer to just take an orbital sander to my stanchions. I like to reduce the amount of material on my fork overall.

IMO the single most important way to save weight is still to remove half the spokes from both of your wheels. There's like hundreds of those things like weights on a fishing line!

·
Registered
55 Posts
it's possible, because i've tried for over 10years with my rock shocks mag21, the intention was another (less oil, more pressure-> better progression and damping), but you must take tougher oil. i don't know how it works in air only dampers...

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
This is a silly idea to reduce something as crucial as lubricating and damping oil to try and get some weight advantages. Especially odd, considering most closed damper forks use little oil to begin with (like 1-2 tablespoons of bath oil), and open ones need more oil for the dampers to work properly.

One example I can think of is the older Atom, X-Fly 80 and 100 forks from Zoke, around 2001. I bought one some years ago and was surprised to see the foot nuts were not at the bottom of the leg, but halfway up. Shorter dampers, less oil supply, lower weight. They were a bit top heavy, however.

·
manufacturer
877 Posts
I see that everybody is lafing about this idea.
I always put some less oil to my fox 100X and gain some few grams:) It works! without any problem - you have just to experiment how much you can get out from fork- for eg. instead of 140ml in chamber put only 110ml and try if it works,if not add 5ml and soo on.

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
I have to chuckle that someone would do that. If you really want to save weight take a look around your bike. I took off the machined aluminum air chamber cap on my DT fork and use a simple aluminum Schrader valve cap now. There are so many little things that can add up but you have to be realistic about what not to do as well.

·
Banned
822 Posts
IAmtnbikr said:
There's always helium, lol. Seal up the frame tubes, seatpost and handlebar then fill them, use it in the tires/shock/fork too. :D
If you were going to add weight by sealing the frame, why would you put more weight in it by putting helium in it?

No air, meaning a vacuum, would be the intelligent thing to do.

That, or leaving the frame alone, as you'd probably add more weight sealing it than you'd lose by removing air from the frame.

I can't believe I even took the time to write this. Happy Holidays. :rolleyes:

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
duke of kent said:
If you were going to add weight by sealing the frame, why would you put more weight in it by putting helium in it?

No air, meaning a vacuum, would be the intelligent thing to do.

That, or leaving the frame alone, as you'd probably add more weight sealing it than you'd lose by removing air from the frame.

I can't believe I even took the time to write this. Happy Holidays. :rolleyes:
:D :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.