Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the great people that came out to ride with us yesterday. We do our Big Fall Ride as an annual thing - a way to say thanks to friends and customers and pretty much take a tour of all the good riding around here.

We met up early, early at the bike shop to get loaded. I like riding bikes, but I'm not a big fan of all the logistical details. Sorry if that was tremendously obvious.

We got 'ol blue and some other vehicles loaded up with bikes and we were off!

We were pedaling around 9am (on schedule) at Bunce School Road near Allenspark.

For Big Fall Ride, we drop riders off near Allenspark and make them ride all the way back to Lyons on as much dirt as possible. There's technical rocky singletrack, jeep roads, dirty county roads, and a little bit of pavement. It's a pretty all inclusive ride. Timing was good, too - the fall colors were in full effect.

Sourdough and South St Vrain are good to hit early on in the ride when we're not so tired. All that rocky goodness is bound to take a toll on the body.

From SSV, there was some riding on dirt road, a transfer stage. Fortunately, it was a beautiful day out.

Little bit of singletrack later

and even a little hiking (cause it's not mountain biking unless you're hiking)

and it was time for lunch and a cold Dale's Pale Ale.

It was about 1:30 or so by this time. We'd been out for a while, but the pace was chill and the smile factor was high. And the weather was perfect.

A little more descending and we were in Jamestown. (no, no GPS track, but it's all on the map - it's a county road after all...).

Time for a water stop and some more chilling whilst we were waiting to regroup.

Thanks to the Merc in Jamestown for providing water for cyclists!

After a some pavement pounding we were back on dirt. Those of you that know me, know I love some Left Hand OHV!

More pavement, then the final climb of the day. Normally, heading north out of the southern Heil trailhead is not that difficult, but it's a ball buster at the end of the day. Picture Rock was grand on the descent to Lyons.

I was a happy guy once I got to Bohn Park in Lyons.

I was tired, cramping, but full of smiles. Post ride at the bike shop, we made it thru 6+ packs of brats, all the other food I picked up, and a keg of Dale's was destroyed.

I'd say it was a good day. Bring on Fall.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks great. I would love to see the route on a map.
It's all there...

Bunce/Sourdough/SSV/CR103/Gold Lake Rd/509/CR102J/James Canyon Dr/Left Hand OHV shelf trail/LHC Drive/Geer Canyon Dr/Wapiti Trail/Ponderosa/Wild Turkey/Picture Rock.

:)

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Ha!

I heard him muttering obscenities under his breath when you lead everyone too far down that jeep road and we had to climb up to the singletrack. It was priceless.
Speaking of that singletrack, I need a new der hanger asap. Turns out my spare is gone... So make that 2 new hangers asap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.