Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to order a bottom bracket for my 2006 monocog frame. The BB on the complete bike is "VP Sealed Bearing Cartridge 68mm-116mm jIS"

I have a square taper Shimano crankset but I don't know what length square taper UN-72 (or similar) I should get? Also what does the JIS mean?

Thanks!

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Common spindle lengths for square taper BB's are 107,110,113,115,118,122 &127 -- depending on the model of crankset you use.

Just a guess --> JIS = Japan Industrial Standard

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zanetti said:
Common spindle lengths for square taper BB's are 107,110,113,115,118,122 &127 -- depending on the model of crankset you use.

Just a guess --> JIS = Japan Industrial Standard
It's just a generic Shimano OEM takeoff crankset. Where do find the "required" BB?

Or since I'm running it on a SS can I just run a 107mm and space the cog to match?

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Pivvay said:
It's just a generic Shimano OEM takeoff crankset. Where do find the "required" BB?

Or since I'm running it on a SS can I just run a 107mm and space the cog to match?
Does it have a number on it somewhere? Like FCM-xxx?

A 107 would likely work, the only limiting factor is crankarm/chainstay clearance.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zanetti said:
Does it have a number on it somewhere? Like FCM-xxx?

A 107 would likely work, the only limiting factor is crankarm/chainstay clearance.
It says FC-M440 on it. Thanks for the help.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pivvay said:
It says FC-M440 on it. Thanks for the help.
I installed a UN-73 68x107 bottom bracket. The chainring is plenty far away from the frame so even with a 36t I'll be fine. The chain is on the outside position of the crank. Hope this helps in case anyone else was watching the thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts