Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought the bike to try the single gear and solid frame bike. very excited about the 29s
but the bike is pretty heavy and would like to lighten it a few pounds since its the steel frame so what do you guys recommend for lighten it?

Also I would like to change the pedals to some clips since i feel more comfortable with them on.

Please direct me the right way I need some help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unless you are going to race it don't put in money- just keep it as is and have fun- if you want to go lighter the bike will be easy to sell down the road and you can get something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I atleast want to put different pedals in so i can use my clips. how hard is it to take off? I also want to buy a different fork with shocks cuz that solid frame is killing my shoulders

thanks for the advice tho

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you do not have the tools a shop will swap out your pedals for you- probably for nothing- You can find a good used fork on MTBR or craigslist. I have Rebas (SL and Race) and they have been good- Fox is the top but pricey- The Tora is solid but the Dart has had mixed reviews but is the cheapest fork out there.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
J Bold said:
If you do not have the tools a shop will swap out your pedals for you- probably for nothing- You can find a good used fork on MTBR or craigslist. I have Rebas (SL and Race) and they have been good- Fox is the top but pricey- The Tora is solid but the Dart has had mixed reviews but is the cheapest fork out there.
Get at least a Tora.....do not buy a Dart fork. And pretty good advice above too.

·
you do this at my size
198 Posts
I have the 2006 model and changed the fork to an ODIS and the put carbon bars on to help the teeth chattering and shoulder pain. I also put on BB7 disc's brakes and crank bro pedals, Stylo1:1 cranks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,879 Posts
Check on ebay for some lighter wheels as the stock DH19s are tanks.

I picked up a set of Laserdisc Trails on SS Felt hubs last year for $99 brand new. Even yesterday I saw sets for around $140.

·
you do this at my size
198 Posts
It seems to be that the hubs are the heaviest part of the monocog wheels, Alex's claimed weight per rim is 580g, while WTB's Lazerdisc rims are 570g. I do have to say the DH19 have been pretty much bomb proof.

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
Here is mine. Upgrades include BB7s, SD7s, Cane Creek S3 headset, and Oury's. I also swapped the seat, XTR front QR, and crank (with a new SS chainring and UN54) from my old bike. It weighs in at ~29 lbs. I love it and it really doesn't feel that heavy to me. My last bike at one point was down to about 23 lbs and this is more fun to ride in my opinion :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Virtus pre nummis
367 Posts
Wow what a difference! I have that same bike but it is a 21" frame. I have changed out the brakes and seat. Added a computer and some disc brakes. Changed the grips and the biggest change was the Schwabe Big Apples!

Those wheels are just fine if you are not worried about the weight. I ride mine 10 miles a day on city streets. Oh! I changed the 20t cog to a 16t which added some speed. Great steed! I love my Cog 29er.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.