Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a rigid single speed and for about $500 the Redline Monocog 29'er has caught my eye. It has with some pretty basic parts, but it comes stock with mounts for disc breaks but would be easy to upgrade if needed/wanted. I'm looking for some opinions on the bike and/or some similar rides for the same price.

I've looked through some other threads to get some feedback, but nothing was specifically directed at this topic.

·
donkey
263 Posts
There should be tons of stuff in the forums on monocogs (especially 29ers). If you have the cash, go w/ the flite. The standard monocog isn't a great candidate for disk brakes. I run disk brakes on mine, and its a bit of a hassle (although totally doable). The crankset on the bike is extremely heavy and the headset wont last more than a few rides. the frame is solid and has great geometry. The stem/bars are a strong point, as are the tires. My wheels held up well, but the engagement began to feel sloppy after a summer of pretty frequent riding.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
I would buy it before I bought the Flite. I prefer the regular MonoCog29 geometry. I have no issues with the brakes at all. No hassle. Standard horizontal drop-out set-up. I have no rear brake issues when removing wheel. I only have to loosen the caliper when I have it set up that way, but it is easy to set-up so that no caliper movement is required to remove the wheel for handling flats or transport or whatever.

You will have/want/need to replace some stuff, but not anything that would be a deal breaker.

The bottom line for me: The bike can rip even in full rigid mode if you can take it. Slap the discs on, and a Reba, and it will zip zip even better. Money to fun value is high.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
if you don't have huge hills don't even let everyone convince you you need disks...

i have been riding sucessfully without them ofr years ;)

just buy a monocog and just ride it. best bike for the buck i'd say (if it fits)...

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
max-a-mill said:
if you don't have huge hills don't even let everyone convince you you need disks...

i have been riding sucessfully without them ofr years ;)

just buy a monocog and just ride it. best bike for the buck i'd say (if it fits)...
The favorite color of a chicken in a box is white and dark.

Chicken don't mind.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

But, how do I buy the $500 bike and justify not spending $500 on the GF (especially around Valentines day)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
ouch

pimpbot said:
i laughed so hard i hurt myself. oh yeah, the monocog is incredible. you won't be sorry (although mine is the 26" and not rigid anymore). i put a 100mm fork on it, and that's it. upgrades not necessary. if you have other bike(s), like i did, you'll soon find out that this inexpensive redline does anything the big $$$ bikes do, only more reliably, quieter, lighter, and faster, etc., etc. hope my wife will enjoy the "junk" in a box for our anniversary, i spent my cash on the monocog!!!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Oh yeah....

John_Michael said:
I can't get her the same thing I got her for Xmas.
... and I got a MC29er in the beginning of January. Love it. I've never had so much fun on such a cheap bike since I was a kid. I don't know if I love it more than my Fully Stumpjumper, but I would say I love it equally if differently... like the kids!

I love it all apart from the weight, which I don't feel anywhere except the climbs. The frame is a killer design, but feels like it was built in a shipyard.

I say get it.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Hey, my wife got me a monocog 29er for Christmas. I love it. The rigid fork is a bit harsh and takes some getting used to. It's really made me appreciate how much I get out of the front suspension on my FS. I like climbing more on the monocog than on my FS, and I actually learned a bit about climbing on my first ride on it, after many years of mountain biking. The 32-20 is pretty good for my trails, I've never wanted an easier gear but once or twice I could have used a higher gear, particularly riding pavement to the trailhead.

I'm somewhat split between putting a reba 29er on it and leaving the rigid fork. With a reba this could be close to competing with my FS, but without I feel like I've got some more decisions to make in how I ride. I haven't figured out yet if those decisions help or hurt when riding my FS.

So far, aside from getting usedd to the rigid fork, my only complaints are the seat and the brake levers. The seat is uncomfortable and the levers make a really annoying ping that I got around with a bit of duct tape. I replaced the pedals before my first ride.

Just a little more info. Get it, ride it stock and replace stuff as you feel the need.

-slide

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Heh...

slide mon said:
Hey, my wife got me a monocog 29er for Christmas. I love it. The rigid fork is a bit harsh and takes some getting used to. It's really made me appreciate how much I get out of the front suspension on my FS. I like climbing more on the monocog than on my FS, and I actually learned a bit about climbing on my first ride on it, after many years of mountain biking. The 32-20 is pretty good for my trails, I've never wanted an easier gear but once or twice I could have used a higher gear, particularly riding pavement to the trailhead.

I'm somewhat split between putting a reba 29er on it and leaving the rigid fork. With a reba this could be close to competing with my FS, but without I feel like I've got some more decisions to make in how I ride. I haven't figured out yet if those decisions help or hurt when riding my FS.

So far, aside from getting usedd to the rigid fork, my only complaints are the seat and the brake levers. The seat is uncomfortable and the levers make a really annoying ping that I got around with a bit of duct tape. I replaced the pedals before my first ride.

Just a little more info. Get it, ride it stock and replace stuff as you feel the need.

-slide
I never even rode the stock pedals yet... oh wait. That isn't true. I guess I test rode the bike at the shop, so they have like 10 minutes on them. Anybody want a set of practically unused flat pedals? Not a mark on them!

I think my next move is going to be to put a wide carbon bar on it. The stock bars are just to narrah. I guess that also means I have to swap out the stem. flocking OS krapp!

·
Registered
215 Posts
pimpbot said:
The stock bars are just to narrah. I guess that also means I have to swap out the stem. flocking OS krapp!
Agreed. I just ordered an MC29, then I sprung for a Mary bar, but that meant springing for a new stem, too. That RL specs a short, oversized bar is kind of disappointing, but I guess it's nice to be able to say that there's one brand-name item (Ritchey Rizer) on the bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.